Trumpet Behavioral Health

Updated November 29, 2014
Updated November 29, 2014
2.9

Lani Fritts; Chris Miller

Great company to work for

Former Employee - ABA Therapist in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - ABA Therapist in San Jose, CA

I worked at Trumpet Behavioral Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This organization truly cares about their employees, offering support and training that is relevant to the job.

Cons

Because this is a client-based service obtaining enough hours can be difficult.

Offering employees more hours, even if it is coming in and doing office work between clients, would be greatly beneficial. Management has done a lot to help keep employees motivated and this would be a much needed bonus for many of the therapists.

its an ok place to start

Current Employee - Clinician in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Clinician in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Trumpet Behavioral Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

decent benefits package
    better then average time off policy
    flexible hours

Cons

heavy emphasis on billable hours
    upper management unclear on how to run or grow a business
    too much driving
    lots of training opportunities, however not always relevant

Great Company Living Out It's Mission

I have been working at Trumpet Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

I started with Trumpet over a year ago and it's been an amazing professional experience. The administrators of the organization communicate an "open door" culture and I continually receive positive, constructive feedback on the work I'm doing. Administrators and clinical leaders seem to be communicating all of the time to improve processes and establish new ways to make sure that all Team Members (that's what everyone is referred to; not employees) have access to professional development opportunities and resources. I've worked for several different healthcare organizations and I've yet to see a professional culture as supportive as this one. Trumpet's mission, "Maximizing the Potential of the Clients We Serve" seems apparent in all correspondence and Team Members always talk about putting clients first in all that they do. I really like Trumpet!

Cons

Trumpet's regions are spread out so there's often a feeling of disconnect between offices/regions. It seems like the administrators in the corporate office try to come up with ways to improve the feeling of connection but it's difficult with so much distance between offices. Compensation is not the best in the industry but it's fair for the workload and worth it to be earning a paycheck for doing the right thing for children who benefit greatly from the services provided.

Continue finding ways to connect regions and instill the mission-driven culture. Improve compensation to team members.

MUCH better places to work for ABA experience..

Current Employee - Behavioral Therapist in Salinas, CA
    Current Employee - Behavioral Therapist in Salinas, CA

I have been working at Trumpet Behavioral Health part-time

Pros

Patient clients. Company values (not a whole lot of follow through though). Some (being the operative word) of the employees are competent.

Cons

Horrible treatment of therapists - not enough hours, not enough compensation (even with years of quality experience), not adequate compensation for mileage, frequent cancellations from clients without management jumping in to help, AND they're not an ethical company as they claim to be. I was working on a case where there seemed to be some emotional/psychological abuse from parent to child and several times I came to my clinician about each instance to no avail. She did not take it seriously at all, making it a hostile working environment for me because I was stuck in that situation. They also see therapists as replaceable - many of the ones they hire do not have any experience or training. Also, they expect you to drive ALL over the place for maybe 2 hours of work and if a session gets cancelled at the last minute or the client is a no show, you just have to eat it.

Might want to figure out how to run a business before calling yourself one. All of your business tenets are great, but there's no follow-through. Integrity is supposedly valued at TBH, but I don't see any evidence of that on the part of the clinicians. All the good therapists leave because you don't give them incentive to stay. I'm sorry, but pay raises contingent on not ever calling in sick is not fair or reasonable.

Great place to grow

Former Employee - Associate Behavior Consultant in Napa, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Behavior Consultant in Napa, CA

I worked at Trumpet Behavioral Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent training, room for growth.

Cons

Finding time to spend with those who have a wealth of knowledge, ability for those without degree's to move forward while getting them. Lots of changes, for the better but in a period of growth.

Excellent

Current Employee - Behavior Skills Therapist in Arcata, CA
    Current Employee - Behavior Skills Therapist in Arcata, CA

I have been working at Trumpet Behavioral Health part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great clients, Great families, Great team, great support! They encourage you to work hard, but also to play hard and have fun!

Cons

None, the company is great to work for.

None

Compassionate Company

Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Kahului, HI
    Former Employee - Paraprofessional in Kahului, HI

I worked at Trumpet Behavioral Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My office was understanding and supportive of any changes I requested. Able to work independently and genuine staff.

Cons

Not as organized and didn't seem to have good organizational skills.

Detailed Training on Time Management

The only good thing about this job was the kids.

Former Employee - Early Interventionist Therapist in Orcutt, CA
    Former Employee - Early Interventionist Therapist in Orcutt, CA

I worked at Trumpet Behavioral Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The children we served. Good training when it happened. Supervisors had a range of experiences to learn from. There is opportunity to advance in rank and pay.

Cons

Poor and misleading compensation for time (base rate is ok but nonbillable time is $8/hr). Scheduling with several hour gaps between clients in random rural towns with little flexibility from management to make your day flow better. Poor communication between sups and therapists regarding client plan development and implementation, and scheduling. Administrative nightmare...sometimes wouldnt receive paychecks on time, and many other hickups with pay and getting connected with company resources. Was given a 'full time' position and never had over thirty hours per week...but with the scheduling gaps i had 8+ hour days. This also means i never had the opportunity for benefits. Timeoff policy is also horrible and encourages employees to work sick. Oh yea you get sick a lot as it is an in home posiion. Mileage is reimbused two months behind so you have to pay for tons of gas when you first start...and your 'training' for the first weeks is paid at $8 per hour so with paying for gas you basically make nothing. The heirarchy and structure of the company led to many frustrating and embarrassing miscommunications with clients, who were often not notified of cancellations and other changes.

Respond to employees and consumers attempts to communicate in a more timely manner. More training. More feedback about supervision and supervisors. Pay attention to employee turnover...when you lose and replace half of your employees in a three month span there is likely something not working.

This should be an awesome place to work...

I have been working at Trumpet Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

Good clinical mission.
    Great clients.
    Amazing and talented co-workers!
    Good ideas for improving systems.

Cons

Mismatch between the clinical and financial missions.
    There seems to be a lot going on behind closed doors.
    It seems like the expectation is to work around the clock, even on your "day off".
    People in some regions seem really happy while people in other regions seem miserable.
    Masters level clinicians have huge caseloads, and there might be some job insecurity if you can't handle a huge caseload.
    It is really hard to balance work and family with this company.

This is a human services industry. Are your financial goals realistic given the quality of care that you want to provide?

Good co workers, clients, opportunity to make a difference. Very Poor Senior Management

Current Employee - Middle Management
    Current Employee - Middle Management

I have been working at Trumpet Behavioral Health full-time

Pros

Great co workers
    Great clients
    Making a difference while working

Cons

Senior Management
    Disorganization
    Job insecurity if your region is underperforming

Get your systems in place. I echo right hand still doesnt know what left hand is doing.
    Learn to effectively deal with personnel/HR issues. Big problem.
    Venture capitalist owners need to step back and hire strong players to run the organization.

Trumpet Behavioral Health Photos