Trupanion

Updated February 26, 2015
Updated February 26, 2015
3.2

Darryl Rawlings

Trupanion is a great place to work!

Current Employee - Customer Care Department
    Current Employee - Customer Care Department

I have been working at Trupanion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Trupanion has an amazing culture. The people who work here are the most passionate, positive and fun group of folks you'll ever work with. Our customers are pretty awesome too! We have a product that helps us make a difference to pets and their owner's lives. Yes we have a lot of work to do and we all work really hard, but we make time to have fun and have built really solid working relationships with our peers. Working here feels like a family on a mission to do something great.

Cons

The only cons are the negative people who stay and complain and don't leave. If you don't like it... move on.

Keep growing our business and make sure to stay connected to the people doing the work.

Love it!

I have been working at Trupanion

Pros

Great support from the top down. Love the enthusiasm from everyone. Great place for a pet lover to work.

Cons

Stress levels are high and so are expectations. Really fast paced all of the time. Not necessarily a "con" but you have to be able to keep up!

I've been at trupanion for nearly 4 years. Never in my life have I ever loved a job as much.

I have been working at Trupanion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great growth opportunities. I was promoted 3 times in my first year. You can advance personally as company grows & flourishes.

Cons

As the company grows and the amount of people increases. With that there are some growing pains. We could benefit from better communication and more training for management.

ONE BIG BI POLAR ENVIRONMENT

Current Employee - Customer Care in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion

Pros

Not very many unless you are a favorite amongst the management team. Dogs galore. Food trucks.

Cons

They have dogs who attack other dogs and they still let them come to the workplace. One dog even attacked a girl there making her get stitches in her face. The dog was approved to come to work. They allow aggressive dogs there so if you have a precious pooch that you don't want to get bitten, I wouldn't recommend bringing it there. Management has no clue what their job is. They gossip all day, go make several food/coffee trips as well as spend more time outside smoking or just in a group gossiping about employees. There's a lot of WRONG there. Many people are doing their job out of compliance, there's no structure whatsoever. The sales team is now being forced to make outbound COLD calls to people who had originally declined to buy the insurance so it's becoming a telemarketing role so you're forced to call these people to bother them about getting the insurance. There's a lot of flaws in every single department. The cancellations team is so behind that they're now forcing agents of other teams to do retention cases. The workload is 10x what it used to be. They're becoming desperate to meet compliance since they were audited and everyone who works there is suffering the blunt of the blows. The stress is super high. Management is cocky and treats you like crap unless you are in their "favorites" group. People there are bi polar, one day they like you, the next they glare and talk bad about you. The only comments on this page that are positive are honestly from the management team trying to make the company look awesome. They'll make you think they are all that in the interview but once you get employed, watch out.....Their sales are ok but the cancellations are just about the same amount as the sales. Favorites get to clock in late, take as many breaks as they want but if you aren't a favorite, you can lose your job in a heartbeat. The turnover rate is HUGE....beware.

They won't listen. There's no point in giving them advice. They do what they want and how they want because the CEO is just as laid back and doesn't care what goes on. No matter how many people bring their concerns to his attention. Every month they send out a report of ppl's concerns/comments....but they just get washed away by false promises to make it better.

They try hard

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Trupanion full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Food trucks and bringing dogs to work. a great product. It is a challenging environment that supports self learning and growth.

Cons

They try to be this unique culture but in reality it is just gossip and favoritism. When I first started the company was sold to me so well I thought I was going to Retire there. Unfortunately there are just far too many management flaws. The management has no training so there is no structure. The stress level of the job get higher and higher each day as the company slowly realizes how many procedures are against compliance with the insurance commissioner. It started out not insurance like but is slowly turning into the evil insurance company just like all the others. Steer clear unless you slowly want to lose your moral compass.

Get training. Learn communication tactics to help better the company monitor your sales team as. Lot of unethical sales are happening. And most importantly starts treating employees better than common work dogs.

I like working at Trupanion, and find the very negative reviews funny.

Current Employee - NONE in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - NONE in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion

Pros

It has a relaxed atmosphere in many ways, even though people work very hard. Great teams. Get to help animals. Get to bring animals to work. Full medical benefits for employees paid by work. One paid volunteer day per year...

Cons

Some of the managers could use added training on working with subordinates.
    Sometimes too many pets can be distracting.
    It would be nice if the company paid some towards spouse or dependents medical...

I think some of management could set better examples in how they treat other folks.

Happy Employee

I have been working at Trupanion

Pros

Lots of dogs and cats to cuddle in the office. Unique, diverse, and compassionate employees. Decent benefits. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Perfect location in Ballard.

Cons

The company has grown so much so fast, it can be a challenge to keep up with changes. Communications between departments is less than desirable.

Make a better effort to have open communications between departments. When making decisions to change something, have an open forum for feedback and suggestions from departments who will be directly affected.

Trying to do it right

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Trupanion is innovative and they really care about pets. They go out of their way to pay claims and make sure their policy holders understand the policy.

Cons

Rapid growth can make things fall through the cracks. Occasionally processes change without full understanding of how those changes will effect other areas of the company.

Anonymous

I have been working at Trupanion

Pros

You get to bring your dog or cat to work. Definite growth opportunities. No job or company is perfect, but there are great departments within Trupanion.

Cons

Salaries could be better, but with a newer company you aren't going to have similar salaries to Microsoft. Certain departments have managers who are not equipped to be in their rolls and there seems to be the 'Peter Principle' going on with promotions. There is a big lack of communication between certain departments and a lack of training with the Customer Service Department.

Train the managers and leads better. Don't throw someone with little to no management experience into a role of leading people without proper education. Stop promoting favorites and promote the best person for the role. Communicate with other departments ahead of time instead so you don't have to scramble at the last minute.

Three sides to every story!

I have been working at Trupanion

Pros

Stumbled onto this site after hearing about it from a coworker. This website is a great venue for people to share their own stories.

Cons

However, they are just STORIES! Just like everything else on the Internet, there's two sides and then the truth. The good probably isn't that good and the bad probably isn't that bad. If you allow what you read on the Internet to factor into your future, perhaps you should move on as it appears Trupanion has enough idiots working for them. Every company can offer high and low perspectives, but now thanks to Glassdoor, this embellished fiction is now available for our entertainment. Thanks Glassdoor.

Invite all employees and territory partners to share their own experiences. Critical mass ensures transparency and an accurate portrayal of the company for all to see.