Trupanion Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

3.4

Darryl Rawlings

Wonderful company to work for

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Where do I begin? I've been at Trupanion for a few years now and I absolutely love it. I work on a great team who share and respect each others ideas. My manager strongly encourages self-improvement and career advancement and allows you to attend conferences and take classes. The CEO at Trupanion is highly approachable (he walks around in shorts and flipflops) and almost always greets people who are waiting to be interviewed. I find the work to be challenging and I like the fact that I can share my ideas with my boss without fear of being looked down upon. I'm proud to be a part of a company and a team that makes me feel valued.

Cons

I think like most companies communication between other departments is always a challenge, but Trupanion is working hard to improve upon it.

We have one performance review each year and it might be better to have two. That way, if a person needs some improvement, it can be discussed halfway through the year and the person will have time to work on their performance.

Friendly, supportive teams and great perks

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion full-time

Pros

There is lots of room and encouragement for personal growth in this company. My managers frequently remind me to look for new learning opportunities so that I can continue to better myself and also be a better asset to the team. I love that we have different food trucks in the parking lot almost every day of the week. It is nice to be able to bring my dog into the office whenever I want to.

Cons

I don't really have any complaints. I would say that sometimes the office pets can get distracting, especially when a dog starts barking and the owner isn't quick to quiet it.

An innovative company that truly keeps promises and promotes the growth of their employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The pet-friendly environment is a definite plus. I am constantly inspired every day that I come to work. There is a clear purpose to every project that I am assigned, and I am encouraged to push boundaries and try new ways to improve the system. A childcare center is currently being built, which is just one example of how this company really strives to meet the needs of their employees.

Cons

Not much to say here!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Success is your own damn fault!!!!!

I have been working at Trupanion

Pros

Trupanion is a wonderful company that provides many opportunities for anyone who it touches. It's then up to the individual to take advantage.

Cons

A need for strategic placement of mirrors around the office so the individuals, who are miserable, may see the root of their problems!

Continue living by your core values.

Fast growing company with great dreams.

I have been working at Trupanion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being part of a rapidly growing company means you have to rapidly grow yourself! Trupanion is a great platform to make a difference from and if you want variety in your work, this is an ideal place to be.
    Energy bounces off the walls and the place is hyped up on a passion for pets.
    The management support training and development and focus on bringing people along for the journey.
    The benefits are very competitive and they reward good, honest hard work. If you're not willing to put the effort in, don't both with Trupanion.

Cons

As always with something this fast moving, there are the natural temper tantrums of a teenager. Sometimes processes don't stick and organization can be lacking. You can't fault the best intentions however, so you take the rough with the smooth.
    Can be meeting heavy.

Very strong C-suite in the business setting great precedence for others.
    Inspiring leadership culture and great consideration given to future 'stars' of the company.
    Culture is pure passion: pet related and subject matter experts. It's a good mix!

Challenging

I worked at Trupanion

Pros

Pets, caring people, great CEO, work hour flexibility

Cons

Disorganization, work subordinates to the bone

One manager is known to be a strict disciplinarian that indulges in nepotism. This person does not seem to have very many positive things to say to employees. This person's training methods are spartan and seem out of place in an environment that patterns itself upon caring...

This person does not seem to fit Trupanion's ideology.

best place in Seattle to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome team leaders, Bring your pet to work, and the very best co-workers. Also they promote from within so great opportunity for advancement.

Cons

not many, I would highly recommend this company to any pet lover

Keep up the good work

Territory Partner's, run if your not in a densely populated area.

Former Employee - Territory Partner
    Former Employee - Territory Partner

I worked at Trupanion full-time

Pros

Good pet health insurance compared to competition.

Cons

Who in management has ever sold a policy? As a Territory Partner you are supposed to work 100 hours a week(really, it's in the contract). For that you get a commission of $10 per enrollment and $2 per month per policy. What that means is that you need 5000 policies to make a decent living. After your first year you will have about 100. You do the math. You are dependent on the Veterinarian selling the policies for you by recommending a free trial to their clients. They have no immediate incentive to do so. The primary tool you have to enlist the vet clinic help is the lunch and learn, where you pay for the lunch for the office and give presentation. They almost never work, and there is little other means to grow the business. It is so inefficient that Trupanion has contrtacted with Country Financial to sell policies in your territory. The company claims that they will pay the TP for any policy Country sells. But how long do you think Trupanion will continue to pay double commissions? They have a real problem. Any success they have selling policies is in densely populated areas with large upper middle class populations. If you live in a more rural state, run, don't walk away fom this company. They haven't figured out how to sell this product to the masses. For example, although they have been in business over 10 years, with over 30000 hospitals they have fewer than 50 top rated "A' hospitals. Again, you do the math. Pet insurance is a nice idea, maybe some day Trupanion will figure out how to sell it.
    The TP gets no benefits, pays all expenses(literature, gas, insurance, hotels, lunch and learns etc) It will cost you about $2000 per year to become a TP. You may not recover that money(it's in the contract).

You don't manage independent sales reps, you lead them. And you have failed to do that. Being so demanding results in high turnover and bad public relations. Take some time and try to figure out how to do this business.

Inept management in Customer Service

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Trupanion full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the company itself and the vision of the CEO/ executive team. Food is gifted. There are dogs in the office and my coworkers are awesome people. We have great policyholders. Once things get evened out it will be a great place to work.

Cons

Lowish pay with no bonuses, but an abundance of favoritism, nepotism, high-school-like leadership team, no "pats on the back," only kicks in the butt for being in "wrap" for too long. Our team is all ready to jump ship because of our management, even though it really shouldn't be that bad since most of us enjoy the work we do. Angela will treat you like a threat if you ask questions, and power play- she will undermine your success while unprofessionally ridiculing you with other employees. Our leaders do not want you to collaborate with other teams, and do not want you to look smart, because they are worried they do not. They especially do not want employees talking with HR. This is not currently a healthy work environment.

Look at the real data (as opposed to service levels), so we can have enough trained employees. I would recommend halting promotion of more people to walk around telling people to get back on the phones (kind of a waste of time for highly paid individuals if they have something important or skills-based to do, right?), when the actual wrap time we have is necessary to our ability to provide the customer service we were trained to give our policyholders.

Take the rot out of the otherwise sweet fruit. Our team "leaders" are turning this into more of a regular call center, shifting away from what makes us unique as a company and focusing on trivial goals that are not disseminated effectively. They are making us feel like "workers" instead of allowing us to be the compassionate and passionate humans we were hired to be. There is no coherent direction, no true guidelines, minimal feedback, and almost no empowerment. Instead there is rampant immaturity and random punishment. Stop turning a blind eye to corruption and pretending this negative departmental leadership is not a real problem, please.

Pet Insurance company that feels very much like working at an insurance company but promotes itself differently.

I worked at Trupanion full-time for less than a year

Pros

Bring your pet to work

Cons

Leadership that doesn't care about standing behind the companies core philosophy and values and just interested in money. It is an an insurance company, so what do you expect I guess.

Just because you put lipstick on a pig and tell us it's not a pig, doesn't make it not a pig. It's an insurance company and it is not interested in helping animals, only making money and it's pretty obvious to everyone.

Worked for Trupanion? Contribute to the Community!