Truphone Reviews

Updated August 8, 2014

2.0

Truphone CEO Steve Robertson
Steve Robertson

Forward looking company, but slowing down

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Truphone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Truphone has a very innovative spirit. It helps that they are the first VoIP app in most app stores, but they still follow through with that drive for innovation, using their unique product line to provide features that are unmatched in the telecoms industry.

Cons

Unfortunately, this innovation has seemed to slow down over the years. The company has lost its startup spirit.

Deceptive and Dishonorable

Former Employee - Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Truphone full-time for less than a year

Pros

Lots of promises from the outset, like private healthcare, growth opportunities and so on. My 2 interviews were deep, detailed and an hour long each and were the best interviews of my life. My future manager met me socially to brief me on the company twice before starting. My manager and I got on great and I was very excited to work at Truphone.

Cons

In reality, the office was one full of bickering individuals who rarely seemed to have a positive word to say to each other. There was also an office culture of grilling employees for knowledge and dismissal of points made by less senior staff.

Working days were longer than ideal as I have a young family. I happened to join during a week working with suppliers meaning days of 12-14 hours were necessary to nail down details. My manager promised "flexibility" before I joined, but later humiliated me when I arrived at 9:15 telling me I was "late".

Indeed, after one week, my "ongoing" contract was terminated. I was told it due to "irreconcilable differences of culture" between myself and the employer and that simply my "face didn't fit".

This is preposterous as it should be noted I am a disabled employee (as described by statute) and I notified this to the manager in my first interview (bouts of depression for around a decade, rarely serious and I can usually continue working) and he told me not to worry about it as Truphone was such a positive working atmosphere.

Therefore, by instantly dismissing me without due cause they are mocking disability laws which are meant to protect staff. A hard lesson learned, and as ever - don't trust the seductive lies of a chummy manager who then betrays you without mercy.

Treat staff, especially new employees, with respect and be honest. It sickens me my manager can "pal up" with me in prior (unpaid) meetings before starting the job. only to get rid of me within a week on very week grounds.

Very Old Startup

I have been working at Truphone

Pros

Location, concept is good, easy to get into

Cons

Senior Management can't make decisions (neither can the exec), no company values, no direction, archaic management style, if your face doesn't fit they you may as well leave. Reminds me of an old boys school.

Decide what you want to do and stick to it. Do more to hold on to key staff. Do more to improve moral!

Worked for Truphone? Contribute to the Community!