Truphone

Updated January 27, 2015
2.6

Truphone CEO Steve Robertson
Steve Robertson

Great company with unique product offering

I worked at Truphone

Pros

Awesome company. Refreshing environment. Everyone is respectful to each other. Cool CEO is very engaged wnd cares about his employees. Loved working at this company.

Cons

Long budget approval process restricts workflow. Cumbersome PO approval process. Too many financial spend obstacles in place even after budget approval was received. Company doesnt offer tuition reimbursement or career advancement training at this time. Personnel issues not addressed by HR.

Reduce the budgetary approval process and financial spend restrictions. Keep employees informed of board/investor input and concerns more prosctively. Address HR issues and grievances. Offer career advancement training reimbursement.

No future in the US!

Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Executive in Durham, NC

I worked at Truphone

Pros

Truphone offers a wonderful benefits package, excellent 401k, and employee recognition awards/gifts.

Cons

Truphone is unstable and will most like shutdown the US locations due to improper handling of their financials.

The management team can be segregated towards non management. I have felt not welcomed or left out in some company gatherings.

Good concept, not well organized. Unable to deliver on promises.

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Truphone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

phone with multiple international phone numbers
    low cost insurance
    reasonable vacation days

Cons

low pay
    unclear vision
    must work in office

Bad Experience

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Truphone full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company is currently restructuring, would not consider any opportunity offered

Cons

Lack of accountability, leadership from CEO down is poor

Stop letting the UK HQ determine what is best for the US market.

Young business gaining maturity at a fast pace.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lisbon (Portugal)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lisbon (Portugal)

I have been working at Truphone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to become serious about work discipline. Relatively apolitical work environment. Emphashis on the adoption of novel methodologies and tools.

Cons

Slightly bureaucratic. Distant top management attitude.

Put in place the mechanisms to improve ownership across every area within the company.

the experience enabled me to grow as a professional through hard work and the autonomy that was given to me

Current Employee - Head of Commercial Analytics & Pricing Proposition in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Truphone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of autonomy and responsibility
    the ability to make a direct impact on the direction of the company
    very cool proposition

Cons

grown to quickly and transformed and created silo working in many areas
    poor execution in many areas resulting in focus lapses

adopt more innovate ways of doing business and avoid the traditional 'old fashioned' ones
    be bold and more aggressive in driving the focus

Company unlikely to survive in the long term due to Mobile Market Changes

Former Employee - BDM in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - BDM in London, England (UK)

I worked at Truphone full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very nice swanky head office in Canary wharf - cool and trendy brand feel
    Pay was good
    Seemed very organised and professional
    Very London metroplitan elite centric

Cons

massive international expansion without having much traction in existing markets, now closing these offices and laying the staff off
    Totally dependent on investor financing due to having totally out of control costs and not much actual revenue
    Unable to compete on price with existing suppliers, can't lower prices until has more customers ! Chicken and egg !
    Fundamental miss understanding of how the majority of customers use their phones in the real world. ie. most people do not travel that much
    Roaming rates are falling massively anyway , negating its key benefit
    Lots of key features are missing form the product - eg. an online portal , 4G
    Not that much interest in multiple numbers anyway

Truphone is supposedly a start up !! However it has been around for years and has lost nearly £300M of investors money and yet has very few customers. Is the market not telling you to stop what you are doing ?
    Seek out an existing mobile network as a buyer for the intelectual property to use the multi number solution.

Working at Trephine

Current Employee - Service Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Truphone

Pros

This is the best place to work. There is so much to learn. The people are friendly and the environment is awesome. My time with this company has been one of the best.

Cons

As a start up company , there are some challenges with processes and structures but that is why the right people have been employed to make it better

Not too bad

Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Truphone

Pros

Interesting challenges. Great technology stack.

Cons

The career progression is impossible. Management will hire someone from the street rather promote someone talented withing the company.

Deceptive and Dishonorable

Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Truphone full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of promises from the outset, like private healthcare, growth opportunities and so on. My 2 interviews were deep, detailed and an hour long each and were the best interviews of my life. My future manager met me socially to brief me on the company twice before starting. My manager and I got on great and I was very excited to work at Truphone.

Cons

In reality, the office was one full of bickering individuals who rarely seemed to have a positive word to say to each other. There was also an office culture of grilling employees for knowledge and dismissal of points made by less senior staff.

Working days were longer than ideal as I have a young family. I happened to join during a week working with suppliers meaning days of 12-14 hours were necessary to nail down details. My manager promised "flexibility" before I joined, but later humiliated me when I arrived at 9:15 telling me I was "late".

Indeed, after one week, my "ongoing" contract was terminated. I was told it due to "irreconcilable differences of culture" between myself and the employer and that simply my "face didn't fit".

This is preposterous as it should be noted I am a disabled employee (as described by statute) and I notified this to the manager in my first interview (bouts of depression for around a decade, rarely serious and I can usually continue working) and he told me not to worry about it as Truphone was such a positive working atmosphere.

Therefore, by instantly dismissing me without due cause they are mocking disability laws which are meant to protect staff. A hard lesson learned, and as ever - don't trust the seductive lies of a chummy manager who then betrays you without mercy.

Treat staff, especially new employees, with respect and be honest. It sickens me my manager can "pal up" with me in prior (unpaid) meetings before starting the job. only to get rid of me within a week on very week grounds.

Truphone Photos

View from Truphone's temporary Thames-side HQ (Photo thanks to Flickr user Victor Keegan, Some Rights Reserved)
More London Building (Photo thanks to Flickr user Tedd Santana, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo