TrustCo Bank Corp NY

TrustCo Bank Corp NY Reviews

Updated Mar 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

TrustCo Bank Corp NY President, CEO, and Director, TrustCo Bank Corp and Trustco Bank Robert J. McCormick

Robert J. McCormick

Decent college job, nothing special.

I worked at TrustCo Bank Corp NY

ProsThe company likes employees that take initiative and willing to learn. Trustco bank also offers dental insurance to its employees.

ConsMachines are out of date. They can fire you at any giving time. the job is not secure.

trustco

I have been working at TrustCo Bank Corp NY

Prostrustco is really really awesome

Consthere are truly no cons

Doesn't care about employees

I worked at TrustCo Bank Corp NY

ProsAlways room to move up

ConsHave to meet goals in a crumbling economy.. If they are not reached then you no longer have a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhatever happened to customer service being the number 1 priority? You let some great people walk out the door

Pay is absolutely terrible.

I have been working at TrustCo Bank Corp NY full-time

ProsPeople that you work with are friendly.

ConsNo regard for how far they make assistant managers travel.

Opportunity for many different positions/responsibilities within the company but you will be underpaid.

I worked at TrustCo Bank Corp NY

ProsGood entry level positions. They are willing give employees opportunities and they generally look fill positions from within.

ConsExtremely underpaid compared to similar positions within the area/industry.
Best opportunity for promotion is in the branch but expectations/pressure by upper management is overwhelming. Once you move to an internal position the opportunity for salary increases becomes much more difficult.

good job if you have no education

Teller (Former Employee)
Saratoga Springs, NY

I worked at TrustCo Bank Corp NY part-time for more than a year

Prosthey hire anybody, high turn over rate

Consthey hire anybody, very low pay!

Advice to Senior Managementupgrade!

Low pay, even lower appreciation.

Teller (Current Employee)

I have been working at TrustCo Bank Corp NY full-time

ProsThe only pros I can come up with are the people I work with. Honestly, they are the reason I haven't gone out of my mind working for this company.

ConsHa! Well, let's begin. The pay is outrageously low, especially when newer hires are just starting who make more than the people who have been there for a time do. This has to be illegal somehow. There is something seriously wrong when someone who is just starting makes even a dollar more than someone who has more experience, how can they justify this logically!?. The "technology" consists of machines that haven't been used since the caveman era. I'm honestly shocked that people are still satisfied banking with this place, of course their main client base is made up of people who probably knew God personally so this is understandable because these people are so set in their ways they refuse to change anything. The hours are ridiculous, there is no need to stay open until 6 four nights out of five, maybe they could keep the hours on Friday but even that is a stretch, and opening the drivethru at 8 is completely unnecessary as my branch does not get any customers at the window until eithr 8:30 or even closer to 9. The entire operation is run very shoddily with little to no appreciation for the "lower end" employees, it's no wonder the place has so much turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementI seriously recomend that the higher ups listen to their lower level employees, although I doubt they ever will because they genuinely do not care about them, which they take every opportunity to prove with their laughable pay, ridiculous hours, and ways they love to waste money, ie- the use and maintenence of sharp machines which are outdated and in so much need of repair that they may as well just be given to the garbage dump.

Not worth it

Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL

I have been working at TrustCo Bank Corp NY full-time for more than a year

ProsManager - Looks good on a resume

ConsWhere do I begin

Hours - This is a joke and I would love to know how they even get away with it. We work 8 to 9 hours a day with no break. How can you take a break when there are only 2 employees at a time in the branch? Sometimes there are 3 employees, however it is usually 2 Tellers and 1 Platform. The Tellers can not relieve the Platform for lunch due to not being cross trained. So Platform can not take a lunch but yet is docked for it. Thursday and Fridays we work until 10 hour days and again for Platform, i.e. Managaer or Assistnat Manager we work the full 10 with no break. How can you allow this? You rotate your assistant managers between 2 or more branches in any given week and if the assistant goes over on time the Manager gets written up for allowing over time. I mean are they serious.

Security - You put my life and other employees life in danger. If a robber wanted to rob a bank, this would be the place. Again - the staffing is a concern and not to mention the locations of some of these branches are a concern as well. For instance your Sweetwater branch, its at the back of a plaza located off a side road with poor lighting. Can we talk about fearing for ones life.

Pay - This is equally a joke. As a manager you expect us to handle the branch staff, make business calls, realtor calls, work long hours with no breaks and write up and process all loans, including MORTGAGES.... and only pay base of $32k minimum. REALLY????

Shops - Trustco Bank does its own shops on their employees. These shops consist of sending another employee from New York to Florida. The employee then goes into each branch in Florida makes a deposit and then speaks briefly to the Manager or Assistant Manager. Then compiles a report to the "Area Manager" and based on that report and rating determines if that Manager is going to receive incentive pay. 8 out of 10 times the New York employee doesn't give good reports. Managers get chewed if the report states that the Manager did not stand up to greet them. However, I will state I stood every time and still was told I did not stand. Are you kidding me - we knew it was a shop one because the other nraches called ahead and gave a description of the person and 2 the moment they made a deposit into their own Trustco account and we seen it was a NY account we knew. So who are they fooling and bottom line this is just a way to not pay incentives to your employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more branch employees - Branch should have 1 manager, 1 assistant, 1 head teller and 1 teller.
Pay your branch staff. If you pay from the bottom of the barrel you are going to get bottom of the barrel employees.
Stop cheating us on incentive pay. Hire an outside company to do the shops, that or just don't do them at all. It's not fair to shop a branch that only has 2 employees. If one is on the phone and the other with a client what do you expect. Again - STAFF YOUR BRANCHES CORRECTLY. Oh and really there is no need for every branch to be opened on Saturdays. All we do is sit here and waste money. Cut out the Saturdays and what you save here you can spend on STAFFING YOUR BRANCHES CORRECTLY.......

Solid Company

Glenville, NY

I have been working at TrustCo Bank Corp NY

ProsVery few layers of management. It's a lean and mean company.

ConsIt's so lean and mean, sometimes the lack of manpower interferes with progress.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be too afraid to add manpower occasionally...even if it's temporary.

Irregular schedules, little consistancy.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at TrustCo Bank Corp NY full-time for less than a year

Pros-Some of the managers will truly take you under their wing and give you "on your feet" training. That will serve you well in the future.
-You will gain experience that will transfer well to another bank when you leave after 6 months.

Cons-The schedules are constantly changing
-Low pay
-Very Very little recognition for Assistant Managers and Tellers
-Extremely poor management training
-Extensive travel (sometimes being told at 8am that you have to go to a branch AN HOUR away)
-Terrible bank software and systems
-Terrible hours (8 - 6 is a little insane when NO ONE comes in past 5)
-No commission for the Assistant Managers who do all the traveling and write ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the schedules and locations consistent. Increase the pay.

Worked for TrustCo Bank Corp NY? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TrustCo Bank Corp NY reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TrustCo Bank Corp NY CEO Robert J. McCormick. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by TrustCo Bank Corp NY employees.