Trustmark Mutual Holding Company

Joseph Pray

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Employer Review

I worked at Trustmark Mutual Holding Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

37.5 hour work week
    1/2 day on Fridays
    Great dining room with healthy food offerings
    On premise fitness club
    Employees
    Beautiful atrium

Cons

Too many unproductive meetings
    Some SR. Management/Co-worker cliques
    SR. Management and SR. HR Staff rarely say hello in passing
    Very hard to get an exceeds in any category of your performance plan in some departments which impacts yearly increases
    No offering of self development seminars or workshops for employees not in a management position
    Lay off workers but always announcing new Sr. Management positions
    Lay off workers in departments or divisions and then promote others
    Shifting of job responsibilities regardless whether or not that's an employee's strength or they have the time
    Unprofessional behavior of some Managemement and some Sr. Management positions
    Only certain individuals are allowed to work out of their home

Offer seminars and workshops for self development to all employees on an ongoing basis
    Engage with all employees and try to get to know them
    Stop the cliques, as it's very noticable to all
    Allow performance plans to truly reflect the work/job being done
    Assess employees skills & strengths prior to shifting responsibilities
    Limit Sr. Management positions
    Sr. Management should really take an unbiased look at other Sr. Managers that report to them

Fantastic company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Sales in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Trustmark Mutual Holding Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Trustmark is a great company to work for that cares about their employees' health and wellness. They stress work life balance by having 1/2 day Fridays, having an on-site gym with group classes offered before and after work as well as during lunch and having a cafeteria that serves healthy food that is very economical - a lot of the cost is subsidized by Trustmark. I love the culture and the people I work with, including management are truly a team and want everyone to succeed.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say other than I wish I had found this company earlier in my career!

N/A

Fixable or not?

Former Employee - Accountant in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Accountant in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Trustmark Mutual Holding Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flex Hours
    Half day on Friday

Cons

They lay off the best workers

Start working with all your personnel in the department and not only the ones you like.

Much change and little direction

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Trustmark Mutual Holding Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1/2 day Fridays
    Company match of up to 5% for 401K
    Onsite gym and cafeteria
    Beautiful building and grounds

Cons

Difficult to move up in the organization
    Much change - company focus moving away from insurance to wellness, led to change in leadership and direction

Employees struggle to find a place in the organization with so much change and uncertainty. Make sure employees are trained for new role and are given appropriate tasks and responsibilities based on experience and knowledge.

Run, and don't look back!

Current Employee - Underwriter in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at Trustmark Mutual Holding Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- 4.5-day work week
    - on-site fitness facility

Cons

- incompetent management
    - indifferent HR
    - no room for advancement
    - senior management is ignorant of technological business needs

Promotion is all based on who you know, regardless of merit. The level of office politics is depressing, and if you don't find favor with the right people within your first week, you can forget about ever moving up that ladder. Many managers lack even basic spelling & grammar comprehension. Most have zero leadership skills and will avoid conflict (ie, addressing legitimate employee concerns/complaints) whenever possible. The only concern is the bottom line, and management is set on micromanaging & placing arbitrary demands on employees, without bothering to first learn what/how much work said employees actually do on a day-to-day basis. Common sense is a foreign concept. HR comes across as impersonal & unapproachable. If/when you finally do get in to see them with any grievances, you are met with an air of resentment and condescension. The company's computer mainframe system has been around since the 70s and is sorely obsolete. Trustmark is currently contracting out for a new system, but the process has been met with constant roadblocks and speed bumps. The light at the end of the tunnel only seems to get dimmer.

Senior management has been quitting at an alarming rate over the last year or so. One is reminded of the old adage of rats deserting a sinking ship...

Learn what it is that your employees actually do on a daily basis, especially before attempting to micromanage anyone or anything. Pay attention to suggestions, complaints, etc, rather than just paying lip service, and remember that happy employees are productive employees. Consider some type of mandatory management training course for anyone promoted to a supervisory position, and create a universal standard for promotions rather than trusting the judgment of obviously biased supervisors.

Cold hearted Supervisors and Managers, very unprofessional here.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Trustmark Mutual Holding Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great co-workers, some people work really hard here

Cons

Supervisors, managers, directors, HR staff members, lack of communication, lack of growth, lack of training, pay, benefits

HR staff here is known for hiring people to work here that they know instead of hiring people that have hands on experience

You should care about your employees as much as you say you care for your clients.

Make sure supervisors are not playing God within the department they work in

Make sure employees are properly trained

Horrible place to work

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Trustmark Mutual Holding Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I would strongly consider other opportunities before taking a job with Trustmark or any of its subsidiary companies.

Cons

Horrible disorganized management that is not willing to pull their weight and throws others under the bus to advance. HR team blindly that groups together with management. Hiring of friends and relatives as direct reports is commonplace, even though it is not suggested by policies it is not enforced because senior management is doing the hiring.

none

I Highly Recommend This Company...to My Worst Enemy.

Former Employee - Analyst in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Lake Forest, IL

I worked at Trustmark Mutual Holding Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- On paper it looks good.
    - You might get lucky and find the 1 or 2 good mangers they have.

Cons

My mentor at this company put it this way: every Company has those who will ascend the corporate ladder through standard back-stabbing but this place won't even do you that service, since they prefer letting you walk around with an ax in your forehead. It's a fairly crude work environment for those who have spent any length of time there.  The most unprofessional managers I've seen in any employer. It's like working in the show, The Office, but instead of working for incompetent managers who are lovable at heart, they actually will attempt to undermine you, set you up for failure, micromanage your work product, and use HR to bully you into submission.

The interesting thing is they actually have a decent organizational structure and some pretty good procedures in place to operate a business. It's as if someone set up a half-way decent Company years ago and then let it run on its own power. At this point whoever did is long gone and you get stuck with the whatever parasites have attached to the host body.

Unfortunately for me, it took years to figure this out. One colleague, who came and went within 6 months time, started looking for a job almost as soon as he arrived after he witnessed a few "team" meetings. I asked him why he was leaving and he looked at me like I was nuts for asking and said management was too dysfunctional for his taste. Fortunately for you, I learned this lesson so that you wouldn't have to but for those who would like to share this experience I'm sure they would love to have you.

Consolidation after consolidation of business units.

I worked at Trustmark Mutual Holding Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Provided opportunity to work for national insurance company.

Cons

Lower management did not support upper management objectives, did not support insurance education of workers.

Insist that middle and lower management get formal education in insurance business.

Slowly changing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Pros

great work/life balance
    nice people
    beautiful headquarters with fitness facility
    many employees have 1/2 day Fridays year round

Cons

slow to change
    behind the times on technology

Trustmark Mutual Holding Company Photos