Trustmark Mutual Holding Company

www.trustmarkins.com

Trustmark Mutual Holding Company Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Joseph Pray

Very happy with my role and company

ProsWork/life balance, beautiful gym, lots of wellness activities, fun coworkers, learning opportunities and flexibility with half-day Fridays.

ConsLots of changes going on and most related to technology. Should help with processes and improvements that are really needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to give recognition to those that deserve it.

Friendly, solid work-life balance, and good retirement package

Actuary (Current Employee)

ProsVery friendly environment. Everyone gets along, and I've made a lot of good friends while working here. Beyond that, managers are very reasonable about the fact that employees have lives beyond work; while there have definitely been some busy times, there have been just as many morale-boosting employee outtings just to show that the employees are appreciated.

The retirement package is very generous, one of the best around, and half-day Fridays are great. Onsite gym is also very nice, as it is both convenient and very cheap.

I've had the opportunity to leave for more money, and chose to stay because I just really enjoy the environment here.

ConsTraining is limited. Though there have been recent efforts to change this, it's still largely a "learn as you go" mentality, and that can be difficult and make the on-boarding process unnecessarily stressful until you figure everything out.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of Chief ___ have been added lately. Are you sure they will all be able to return enough value for what I know must be very large salaries?

Much change and little direction

Project Manager (Current Employee) Lake Forest, IL

Pros1/2 day Fridays
    Company match of up to 5% for 401K
    Onsite gym and cafeteria
    Beautiful building and grounds

ConsDifficult to move up in the organization
    Much change - company focus moving away from insurance to wellness, led to change in leadership and direction

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees struggle to find a place in the organization with so much change and uncertainty. Make sure employees are trained for new role and are given appropriate tasks and responsibilities based on experience and knowledge.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seems like you have to know someone to get ahead

Pros4.5 workdays, gym, cafeteria, coworkers

ConsIncompetent management, the same people get promoted all of the time, good employees get stuck in the same position while others manage to bounce around from department to department

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't try to tell your employees how to do their jobs when you don't know what their jobs entail.

Run, and don't look back!

Underwriter (Current Employee) Lake Forest, IL

Pros- 4.5-day work week
    - on-site fitness facility

Cons- incompetent management
    - indifferent HR
    - no room for advancement
    - senior management is ignorant of technological business needs

Promotion is all based on who you know, regardless of merit. The level of office politics is depressing, and if you don't find favor with the right people within your first week, you can forget about ever moving up that ladder. Many managers lack even basic spelling & grammar comprehension. Most have zero leadership skills and will avoid conflict (ie, addressing legitimate employee concerns/complaints) whenever possible. The only concern is the bottom line, and management is set on micromanaging & placing arbitrary demands on employees, without bothering to first learn what/how much work said employees actually do on a day-to-day basis. Common sense is a foreign concept. HR comes across as impersonal & unapproachable. If/when you finally do get in to see them with any grievances, you are met with an air of resentment and condescension. The company's computer mainframe system has been around since the 70s and is sorely obsolete. Trustmark is currently contracting out for a new system, but the process has been met with constant roadblocks and speed bumps. The light at the end of the tunnel only seems to get dimmer.

Senior management has been quitting at an alarming rate over the last year or so. One is reminded of the old adage of rats deserting a sinking ship...

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn what it is that your employees actually do on a daily basis, especially before attempting to micromanage anyone or anything. Pay attention to suggestions, complaints, etc, rather than just paying lip service, and remember that happy employees are productive employees. Consider some type of mandatory management training course for anyone promoted to a supervisory position, and create a universal standard for promotions rather than trusting the judgment of obviously biased supervisors.

Management has high school degrees

Pros1/2 day Fridays. That's about it.

ConsManagement and upper management are people who have been here so long and have been promoted into management positions through the good ole boy favor system. They don't have college educations, therefore the company is only as good as high school graduates can make it. No clear direction. No advancement. Lots of talk about changes but management set in their ways.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some college graduates, make a commitment to change (lip service only goes so far), nice that technology is advancing past the 1990s, future seems dim.

Cold hearted Supervisors and Managers, very unprofessional here.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lake Forest, IL

Prosgreat co-workers, some people work really hard here

ConsSupervisors, managers, directors, HR staff members, lack of communication, lack of growth, lack of training, pay, benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementHR staff here is known for hiring people to work here that they know instead of hiring people that have hands on experience

You should care about your employees as much as you say you care for your clients.

Make sure supervisors are not playing God within the department they work in

Make sure employees are properly trained

I LOVE working here!

ProsExcellent 401k & benefits. Half day Friday's.

ConsNot much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementDear HR department,
    Your clients are the employees who work here. Take care of your clients.
    Everyone else takes great care of the companies clients.

Horrible place to work

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Lake Forest, IL

ProsI would strongly consider other opportunities before taking a job with Trustmark or any of its subsidiary companies.

ConsHorrible disorganized management that is not willing to pull their weight and throws others under the bus to advance. HR team blindly that groups together with management. Hiring of friends and relatives as direct reports is commonplace, even though it is not suggested by policies it is not enforced because senior management is doing the hiring.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

I Highly Recommend This Company...to My Worst Enemy.

Analyst (Former Employee) Lake Forest, IL

Pros- On paper it looks good.
    - You might get lucky and find the 1 or 2 good mangers they have.

ConsMy mentor at this company put it this way: every Company has those who will ascend the corporate ladder through standard back-stabbing but this place won't even do you that service, since they prefer letting you walk around with an ax in your forehead. It's a fairly crude work environment for those who have spent any length of time there.  The most unprofessional managers I've seen in any employer. It's like working in the show, The Office, but instead of working for incompetent managers who are lovable at heart, they actually will attempt to undermine you, set you up for failure, micromanage your work product, and use HR to bully you into submission.

The interesting thing is they actually have a decent organizational structure and some pretty good procedures in place to operate a business. It's as if someone set up a half-way decent Company years ago and then let it run on its own power. At this point whoever did is long gone and you get stuck with the whatever parasites have attached to the host body.

Unfortunately for me, it took years to figure this out. One colleague, who came and went within 6 months time, started looking for a job almost as soon as he arrived after he witnessed a few "team" meetings. I asked him why he was leaving and he looked at me like I was nuts for asking and said management was too dysfunctional for his taste. Fortunately for you, I learned this lesson so that you wouldn't have to but for those who would like to share this experience I'm sure they would love to have you.

Worked for Trustmark Mutual Holding Company? Contribute to the Community!