Trustwave Reviews

86 reviews filtered by
2.9
Trustwave President, Chairman & CEO Robert J. McCullen
Robert J. McCullen

Pros
  • Ability to work from home / remotely (in 8 reviews)

• Good Co, overall good people in most departments, seems to try hard on work life balance (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • In the past year and a half almost all of the legacy upper management left (in 4 reviews)

• Corporate culture is dominated by US (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Good company, great people

Current Employee - Product Engineering Director in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Product Engineering Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trustwave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific mix of technical expertise around the organization: network security operators and engineers, crypto people, pen testers and vuln researchers, "greybearded" Windows and UNIX developers, security and compliance experts, etc. Trustwave is financially robust, and in my experience accommodating of your life outside work. Every year I've seen that the company's value prop — integrated and comprehensive compliance and security — has gotten materially better and better.

Cons

The scale and geographic distribution of the company mean that finding and getting in touch with the right person can take some time.

Advice to Management

Keep going.

A good story just got better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trustwave full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

company has grown significantly in the past several years, adding talented consultant, engineers, and security specialists. Acquisition by Singtel has been lauded by industry analysts as a good move for both companies to leverage their strengths. Having the backing of one of the world's largest telco's will certainly help.

Cons

Career development and compensation - need to be much more responsive to the changes in the industry.

Advice to Management

recent changes have been well-received, but the current employees are hungry for more open communications.

Apr 16, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank-you for your review - great to hear from an employee who is enjoying the journey - keep on riding the wave!

Great workplace to get into the field and gain knowledge.

I have been working at Trustwave full-time

Pros

Working at Trustwave has allowed me to touch different technologies and I felt I've learned more at Trustwave in 2 years than I have any where else. There is a path to be promoted and office politics play a very small role there.

Cons

Pay is under industry standard.
    Work life balance is usually okay, but can be demanding at times.

Advice to Management

Offer pay inline with industry standards to keep top talent.

Apr 16, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank-you for your kind words, we are very glad you feel that Trustwave offers a great opportunity for both professional and personal growth - it is something our executive leadership takes a great ... More

5. sales

I worked at Trustwave

Pros

None, none, none, none, none. I have to do at least 20 words and I sick of saying no pros. Hopefully it works this time.

Cons

I had the pleasure of being let go twice. both, I was part of the companies trustWave aquired. Once they aquire, they cut you. That's normal I suppose. What bothers me is they also aquire great tech and patents. Wonderfull that the greedy pigs sold all the great American ingenuity to a Singapore company just so a few at the top can get very rich. I get it if your a furniture company or something and send American jobs elsewhere, but your cybersecurity, and now they have tech from company's like Vericept, M86, Mirage, bit armor etc. Enjoy you fat moey traders.

Advice to Management

Choke on your cash

Shambles

I worked at Trustwave full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Security industry is hot. Despite the lack of customer service clients keep buying more!

Cons

-Management has no direction
    -Best in class ethical hacking team completely gone after management changes.
    -procedural nightmare. Good luck trying to get resources to help your deals
    -sales management turnover in the last few years has been high.
    -executive level management has also been high. Half the exec team turned over last year

Advice to Management

Good luck to the Singapore government who now owns TW. Pump some money into support and trim the fat. Singtel's stock dropped the day the acquisition was announced. That's foreshadowing if I ever saw it.

Rewards mediocrity, punishes performance

Current Employee - Enterprise Sales
    Current Employee - Enterprise Sales

I have been working at Trustwave full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great story, good technology, great people. Sticky customer base from the legacy PCI business. Trustwave should be killing it in the market place.

Cons

Management is investing in growing the top line at the expense of quality of service and customer experience. extended wait times to kick off professional services. Professional services staff is grossly overburdened with no relief in sight. Sales management is stuck on OTE as a fixed measure which rewards the average performers and penalizes the people who are driving the growth of the company. the result is top performers are being penalized in commission payouts at a rate of 20-50% per year. Management has demonstrated no willingness to address this and as a result have lost top performing sales people every year. considering the year long ramp up to get a new sales exec trained and productive, this is a very short sighted attitude on the part of management

Advice to Management

wake up. your company is falling apart, you are promoting incompetent people and empowering them to make arbitrary decisions that change business process without fully vetting them. you are rewarding incompetence and punishing the people who are making you money.
    The rats are abandoning ship. Take a close look at the rate you are losing good people. The people who have choices have left or are planning their exit strategy. the people you are left with are not qualified or capable of filling the shoes of the A players you are losing

Apr 16, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank-you for your candid comments. I think you mention very valid points and while it is easy for us to solely focus on the parts of TW that make us a great story, it is very important to note that ... More

Used to be great. Rapidly falling apart.

Current Employee - Security Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Security Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trustwave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The group of Spiderlabs guys used to be awesome. Decent resume builder. Money can be good if management likes you.

Cons

The majority of the senior talent has left Spiderlabs in the past year. No significant changes have been made to entice others to stay. Management continues to replace humans with broken software.

Advice to Management

Wake up and listen to your teams. Nobody is happy about the direction you are taking them.

Apr 16, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank-you for sharing. The security industry is red-hot and unfortunately due to our brand recognition and the strong credibility that our Spiders have in the industry, the group has been targeted ... More

9. Great benefits & culture - but lack of focus in technology

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Trustwave full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- flexible work (can work from home all five days after you prove that you are not a slacker)
    - every developer gets a mac (and other tools if you need it)
    - can move to Denver/Austin or other software development locations
    - if you work in a product team with an engaged business team and good technical leadership like TrustKeeper,
      you might be able to progress faster
    - two-week sprints help in identifying bottlenecks faster

Cons

- pay is not keeping pace with other companies in the area
    - no annual stock options (only once at joining time)
    - long interview process
    - company has been privately held for the past nine or so years
      (so stock options are not easily quantifiable)
    - Most of the product teams lack technical focus. UI work is still
      in Adobe Flex which hampers rapid development.
    - Lots of technical debt in core code-base.
    - Deployments and associated ceremonies take almost a day in a supposedly agile environment

Advice to Management

I noticed a developer leaving every month, but there wasn't any effort from technical leadership to discuss reasons with the team and to improve things. Only HR conducts exit interviews. It might be useful to spend more effort to understand why talented people leave than on talent acquisition.

Could be great

I worked at Trustwave

Pros

Good technology acquired from companies.
    Benefits are acceptable, but not great.
    Flexible schedules
    There are some really great people here.

Cons

Seems to be a lack of vision and execution from the product side of the company.

There is a huge lack of communication between departments and no one really wants to work together to solve a
    problem, everyone would rather try to push the issue on someone else than just do it.

No real job advancement or career path.

There is a feeling that the company does not really care about you, whatever they can do to save a dollar.

Advice to Management

Figure out where the company is going to go and clue the employees in so we can get excited about it too and help work towards it.

Help break down walls between groups don't increase them. Trustwave could be a great company to work at if people would work together to solve problems not hide from them.

Some stability in upper management would be a good thing.

Good company with some growing pains

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Trustwave

Pros

Very talented workforce from top to bottom. There is hardly any political game compared to most companies and everyone is focused on getting the job done.

Cons

The entire engineering department is made up of technical minds all the way up to the CTO, so technical skills are valued above all else. Managing people is a secondary concern at best so you have to be self sufficient to thrive. Not much room for advancement.

Advice to Management

Get a few managers or directors in the mix who aren't as focused on technical issues who can take care of people.

Apr 16, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank-you for your candid feedback, we take great pride in listening to our employees and we will try to incorporate your suggestions into our strategic plans. It is imperative to have strong ... More