Truven Health Analytics

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015
3.2

Mike Boswood

Pros
  • Flexible work from home opportunities, depending on who your manager is (in 14 reviews)

• Excellent work-life balance if one prioritizes and communicates issues facing him/her well (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Salaried employees are often expected to work long hours (and overtime is not paid or given as comp time) (in 4 reviews)

• If you are in the Ann Arbor office you are well positioned for advancement, otherwise, be prepared to stay where you are (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company with great growth potential

Current Employee - Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My colleagues are intelligent, motivated, and care deeply about improving the quality of healthcare in the United States. If you enjoy a fast-paced environment with meaningful work, you'll be happy at Truven Health. Flexible hours and ability to work from home are good benefits and the company is very family friendly. We have a generous paid leave policy - even for new employees.

Cons

The company is transforming from a product focused business to one that leads with consulting and custom solutions. Our legacy products are valuable, but not as valuable as the talented and dedicated staff. Senior management is still working on the best approach for positive change.

We need to invest more in our employees - create stronger career paths, promote from within, and reward the high performers. Total compensation is good, but it could and should be better considering the caliber of our staff.

Relatively stable growth, and valuable business (healthcare not potato chips)

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent work-life balance if one prioritizes and communicates issues facing him/her well.
    most in management are approachable and understand employees.
    empathetic and supportive colleagues
    Very little nonsense talk and idle chatter
    Hard work is recognized ; handled offshore well in some parts of the business
    Recent big customer loss was dealt with honestly and communicated openly

Cons

Below average compensation and benefits
    Poor raises due to financial status of new company - this will improve with time and with more innovative and high performing solutions in all business segments
    Lack of bullish investment plans again due to debt to be paid off - things will get better hopefully
    Leadership is stagnant - need more diversity in senior ranks. Too many white and older men running the show.

Add some youth to senior management, promote from within, listen to smart folks inside and not just outside consultants, communicate openly and frequently - don't treat employees as kids - we can handle the truth, those that cannot will leave - so what? Keeping them does not help anyway. fix HR and training and invest in new managers. Encourage new ideas and respond to employee suggestions. Don't avoid them.

Stimulating work environment

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is very interesting and often cutting edge in terms of healthcare delivery, analysis, policy. Most colleagues are nice and many are very smart. There is opportunity to grow if you are assertive and willing to learn new areas. Flexible hours and ability to telecommute. Good computer and data analytics infrastructure. Competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Complex organization that spans many different types of health care clients. Need to be willing to learn new skills and subject areas. Still developing reputation under new name and ownership.

Keep listening to employees.

Great Company

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics

Pros

Great flexible company. Great pay, lots of opportunities for advancement

Cons

Experience will depend on the customer

Best Worklife Balance

Current Employee - Director, Client Services in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Director, Client Services in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements. Sensitive to work life balance. Decent benefits.

Cons

Relatively laid back. Too many mergers and acquisitions changing the overall organization.

Create some stability for employees.

Great work-life balance

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to work from home, open communication with management, constantly changing and evolving, work with industry experts, amount of pto

Cons

Sometimes director level management makes decisions that show how disconnected they are

Promote from within, allow movement with the company

Great company, competitive pay

Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Client Support Specialist in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, plenty of job opportunities to move around the company (not necessarily within same dept.), decent people, various age groups and backgrounds, flex schedule in most departments and ability to work from home if needed.

Cons

Department rules vary, there is not one standard which affects moral of some teams.

Good overall. Some tend to overly micro manage.

Friendly, Intelligent, Compassionate

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great compensation (holidays and salary); their focus on training (including free pizza Mondays!) emphasizes the importance they place on their employees; top-grade IT; friendly/open/caring with excellent HRC scores [!]; excellent recognition (I worked for decades in a job and received less recognition than I did at Truven in my first year); approachable management that understands what I actually do [!].

Cons

Fluid work schedule (e.g. lots of time off/work at home options) means communication between teams may suffer-- you learn to work with it; cafe is frightening; learning curve can be daunting when coming from the outside.

Truven Health Analytics delivers unbiased information analytic, analytic tools and services to the healthcare industry.

I have been working at Truven Health Analytics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The management team creates an environment where people feel comfortable reaching out to other groups, people, etc. Also, they encourage new ideas and cross training.

Cons

Truven Health is a large company. Like most large companies it has its shares of large company challenges, policies and procuderes.

Continue listening to new ideas and promoting from within.

One of the most capable, passionate corporate environments I've seen

Former Employee - Healthcare Analytic Intern in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Healthcare Analytic Intern in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Truven Health Analytics as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Friendly, intelligent people. Ann Arbor is a great city to work and live. Lots of perks.

Cons

There are no real opportunities to mesh with other departments