Tuba City Unified Schools

Tuba City Unified Schools Reviews

1 Review

1 Review

Harold Begay PHD

Great Students deserve more from their leaders.

Current Employee - Teacher  in  Tuba City, AZ
    Current Employee - Teacher in Tuba City, AZ

I have been working at Tuba City Unified Schools

Pros

The students are respectful and fun. There is a lot of learning going on both on the student side and the teacher side. This is a Native American community and we are always putting things into a different point of view and sometimes even into the native languages. My colleagues, from certified to classified employees, are hard working, and dedicated to their jobs, kids and community. We have building going on so our facilities are getting better and better. Our students are champions when given a chance in almost anything we challenge them with. Tuba City is on the Navajo reservation with the Hopi reservation across the street and within driving distance. This makes living in Tuba City like living in a foreign country but people speak English and they enjoy the values of the American Constitution.

Cons

There is a crisis in housing and there are not enough satisfactory houses for the employees. Also, some of my students live without running water and have to ride a bus an hour and a half one way. This interrupts their learning ability. We have a school board who only listens to the top management and plays favorites. We have a district office who does not recruit new teachers from American institutions, but is going abroad for new teachers. This is a problem in keeping comeraderie among the staff. Teachers and classified employees get small to nothing raises and the senior management get perks and thousands of dollar raises. This unfairness hurts morale and ultimately hurts students. Appreciation is lacking from the top and this translates into people doing the job and no more.

There is too much favoritism and there is not enough recruitment for new teachers and other employees. A school is a community and the management should see themselves more as leaders who need to listen to the community rather than as "management." We should have more input at the top levels. We need to know more about the budget process without being punished for asking. There needs to be more transparency in our public schools and less decision making without staff input. We have people in positions with big salaries who do not have any contact with students. That needs to be looked at. Board meetings need to be at places and times when the community can come, and not during lunch hour, breakfast and in Phoenix.

Worked for Tuba City Unified Schools? Contribute to the Community!