TubeMogul Reviews

Updated October 10, 2014
4.6

TubeMogul CEO & Co-Founder Brett Wilson
Brett Wilson

Pros
  • Fast paced industry allows for autonomous job role (in 7 reviews)

• It is a great place to earn experience from an entry level role (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • high expectations; work-life balance can be improved; expected to do quite a bit with little resources (in 6 reviews)

• It can be frustrating working long hours and knowing that you are not being rewarded for it in a monetary form (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Ample opportunities to make an impact...

Current Employee - Engineering
    Current Employee - Engineering

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As a veteran of TubeMogul, of various start-ups, and several IPOs, the one thing that sticks out to me about TubeMogul is how we've managed to preserve the no BS culture. I would even go so far as to suggest that the culture has strengthened as leaders at all levels of the organization have matured and the company as a whole has grown more confident with success. At the end of the day, we all just want to get things done and kick some arse in the evolving video technology space: personal success naturally follows. As the old sports adage goes, winning cures all ills, right?

As a technologist, what I most appreciate here is the general lack of red tape, the ability to move quickly, and the lack of sacred cows: constant evolution and improvement is definitely a theme, even if that comes a bit slower these days because not all development is greenfield development. But to me, this is part of the challenge: it's one thing to create; quite another to create something that can be maintained and improved over time. In any case, the general feeling is that the ball is in our court.

Colleagues are sharp and open: as with any collection of talented folks, egos may exist but are very skillfully and courteously tucked behind the ear. The engineering culture is very conscious of the tension btw. preserving start-up velocity and the need to add some natural process as the organization grows: processes are not taken lightly and instituted with care.

No place is perfect but what is important to me is that an organization is self-aware and takes active measures to improve. There is a training group devoted to improving structure and on-boarding programs across all teams. Engineering compensation is definitely at market; and high performers are noticed and routinely rewarded.

Cutting edge, high performance, distributed "Big Data" systems in production (not prototypes or POCs or academic exercises). What are you waiting for? Get your keyword on (haha). By the way, we're hiring.

Cons

The general attitude of the company is aggressive, not aggressive as in coworker interaction, which is quite friendly; but this is a company that wants to win: the dynamicism/optimism of TubeMogul's scrappy start-up roots is palpable at all levels and with that comes a certain intensity which I personally enjoy but may not be for everyone. Work/life balance can occasionally be a factor but that has improved a ton over time as the company has staffed up aggressively.

On the flipside, what you're getting is 90% of the start-up experience as far as the ability to make an impact, without much of the financial risk.

Don't be afraid to stick with what works, even if it's not in the conventional playbook. Improve, solidify, but stay nimble.

Great Company, Smart People, Interesting work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has good leadership who offer an above-average amount of information to employees. Interesting business model and apparently a successful one at that, but still plenty of challenges to work on. Very competitive compensation and a hard-working but fun-loving culture.

Cons

Company skews very young, especially the engineering teams. There is a lot of working "hard", but too little working "smart". More experienced employees and new-comers will have a hard time making their voices heard. Joining the company is NOT "taking a job" nor is it a "career move"; it is really making a lifestyle choice. Expectations are high and usually unachievable in anything resembling a standard work week.

As the company grows, it must inevitably become more stable, mature, with better processes for repeatable successes. This may mean changing the culture a bit, but that is not a bad thing. You've hired smart people and are paying them well, listen to them.

Most of the 5 star reviews on here are clearly written by HR.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at TubeMogul full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There is good culture here and it's great that people don't take themselves too seriously. Average age of the company was around 25-30 years of age who are young and for the most part are great to be/work around. What I definitely appreciated was that since this was a "start-up" environment, the process to get things done were rather quick as we didn't have to get approval from many different execs/departments and could move projects internally along quickly.

You also don't have to be glued to your desk all day and can comfortable move around the office and find sofas/coaches to work.

Career Advancement: People within the company have definitely moved around to different departments which makes this a great place to start your career and learn as much as possible about the different roles/industry.

Platform/Product: Definitely easy to use and is one of the better video buying platforms on the market.

Snacks: Definitely a wide variety of snacks in the kitchen that gets replenished every day or two. There are people who can live off of just eating from the kitchen.

Cons

Some problems with management. Many of the managers were promoted from within and never had any experiencing managing any teams prior to joining the company. While this does create a great opportunity for employees to further their careers, it creates issues with the teams internally because the managers lack the experience/qualifications needed to manage larger teams

Benefits: No 401k matching. Only those who were one of the early employees of the company benefited from the stock option program. Salaries are lower for some of the entry level positions and decent as an engineer. I believe after your 1 year, increases in salary are rather generous and may or may not bring you closer to market value.

Hire managers who have proven experience managing/leading large teams with knowledge of the product.

Great company doing great things!

Current Employee - Anonymous in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The culture is too notch! Great people without egos. Really smart people who like to socialize and have events. Young group that arranges really fun outings, great parties and regular happy hours.

Cons

If you have never worked in adTech. It can be tricky to get comfy in the space. There is A LOT to learn , the training program was pretty intensive

Engineering Intern

Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Intern in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Encouraging, supportive, and friendly team members
    - Lots of Pride, company culture is outstanding
    - Disruptive in a new market
    - Great flexibility and interesting projects
    - Company growth will be high because it is best in its market
    - Company values "Do:say" ratio

Cons

- Lots of work, but to be expected in a startup
    - Mentors can be busy if they are part of early team, so best to meet others on team
    - Training is less structured, so takes a while to get accustomed to project description

Great Environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Collaborative work environment
    -Every employee is hard working and supportive
    -Play hard & work harder
    -Great management & training programs
    -Willing to invest their time/money/effort to ensure employee satisfaction

Cons

-Still growing & very quickly, still experiencing some of the growing pains of a start up

Management is excellent, keep doing what you are doing
    Continue to push yourselves to be the best at what you do

Great colleagues & culture

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time

Pros

The environment in TubeMogul overall is really good. The culture is great and really makes it feel like you aren't even coming to work sometimes. It helps promote happy employees, which in turn result in better performance.

Cons

Long start up hours are not at all uncommon. It can get frustrating working such long hours most days of the week.

Rapidly growing company that is winning!

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is growing rapidly on many fronts: market share, revenues, technology stack, and head count. It's an exciting time to be at TubeMogul to experience this kind of growth and how we handle all the challenges that come with it. We are making great improvements with scaling our technology, onboarding new employees, benefits and providing an atmosphere where anyone can grow their career. It is like nothing I've experienced before but exactly what I was looking for in a pre-IPO company. We are definitely winning in our space and it shows from the awards we've received, the kind of talent we are able to attract and most importantly, what our customers are saying about us.

Cons

With tremendous growth to capture more market share and to provide more advanced features for our existing clients, it can get overwhelming with the number of things that need to be accomplished in a relatively short amount of time. There are no shortages of mistakes and late night sessions to identify and resolve them. As the company grows it's beginning to feel that each individual is becoming less important and that responsibility can get easily shifted which can often cause important questions not be asked or ideas overlooked.

Continue to trust your employees by empowering them to do what they do best. While meeting company goals is important, never forget that at its heart it's all about the wonderful people who are committed to the success of the company. So continue to be proactive in making TubeMogul the kind of place you take pride in representing.

Great Company That Knows What it is Doing

Current Employee - Account Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time

Pros

The training and transparency of people within the company is great. You are able to learn and grow very quickly. Employees really abide by the culture of moving fast, doing what you say, and being accountable. Everyone you talk to is really smart, passionate, and wants to be at the company and is excited about the future.

Cons

Pay is a little light compared to other companies but if you are in it for the value than it should not really matter at first

Continue what you are doing.

Satisfied

I have been working at TubeMogul full-time

Pros

Benefits, Culture, Technology, Location, Platform, Teams, Exposure ....etc

Cons

Food Kitchen, Less fun stuffs

Continue what you have been doing.