Tucows

Add Photos

Tucows President, CEO, and Director Elliot Noss

Elliot Noss

Amazing Culture

Senior Developer (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- No micro managing
    - Lots of freedom and trust in your abilities
    - Great benefits and travel opportunities
    - Fantastic inter-company opportunities to move up and increased responsibilities

ConsNone...I mean there are always ways to improve things, but no need to be greedy. The environment here is better than any other company I've worked at.

A great place to advance your career in 2012 / 2013

Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsOffers amazing customer service to customers. Strong support for members of the customer service team.

ConsNot on a subway line and parking can be expensive. Ride a bike!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has an open door policy. If I had something to say, I'll say it to them. :)

Good company to grow career

ProsFlexibility and ownership to pursue job tasks. Good support by managers who are encouraging and always on the lookout for me to develop in various ways.

ConsNothing much to say about cons really, its really about who you get to work with and how they support you along the way.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThis company is client/employee focused, you could work from home and still make decent salary.

ConsIt is completely commission based, if you strive hard to develop a disciplined approach to sales you will make it, entry level sales agent will find it difficult to breakeven without much experience in this job.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement should consider paying some form of salary/commission and invest in more training for the entry level recruits

Intense high pressure work environment with great people and good management

Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsSmall enough to be nimble. Large enough to make a difference and pays decently though could be better. Entrepreneurial spirit in the company. Good CEO.

ConsUnrealistic growth goals, quarter to quarter thinking. High employee turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people better. Improve their pay.

Great place to work

Mid-management (Current Employee)
    Toronto (Cuba)

ProsA lot of concern with having people in roles they're aligned with and a strong focus on corporate culture are great.

ConsFew opportunities for career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunity for advancement within would reduce staff turnover.

Satisfactory

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsManagement let us do our jobs without interference
    Salary and benefits were satisfactory
    Work environment was pleasant
    Free lunch and snacks

ConsAs off site employees we felt removed from the "real" Tucows
    Communication was difficult when management was in another country

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep employee morale and communication high on the list
    Management team should talk to all levels of employees more often

Tucows is a good place to work

ProsAgile methodology
    Flat organization structure
    Outstanding programmers

ConsA lot of technical debts

Advice to Senior Managementnothing

Relatively small company with huge ambitions, but failing frequently in operation and management.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsNicest coworkers I've ever had, felt like a real family. I had the opportunity to acquire new skills and improve my technical knowledge.

ConsHard to deal with the very poor communication between departments. It makes you feel that there is no real, cohesive unity, as if there were three or four companies in one. Some managers I had the chance to work with deserve praises for their technical expertise and their sincere and continuous efforts to deliver great results in time, but some others need to probably go back to school and enroll in a 'business management' program.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management: please understand that the most valuable asset a company can have is its employees!

Great ideas, no execution

Manager (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat industry and very safe organization to work in terms of longevity. Customers are stickied to the product making it difficult to lose revenue from main revenue stream, so the stability, while can appear unstable, is very safe from going under. There are pockets of greatness within the organization that once aboard these teams the opportunities and experiences are very valuable for future development. The compensation and benefits for the staff are great, and are distributed to every level of the organization. This includes 3 weeks vacation, a great health spending account, RRSP matching plans and a shutdown during the Christmas holidays that do not reflect your personal vacation time.

ConsLack of leadership and support amongst parts of the mid-senior management team making it difficult to promote change. Organization as a whole has challenges learning from their mistakes. Half of the organization was working to win, the other half not engaged and more concerned with protecting themselves making it a challenging environment to work. Understaffed in certain departments for an organization of their reputation, callibre and ranking in the industry. Overstaffed in other areas. Slow to execute on great ideas which continuously makes them second rate when they used to be considered pioneers. That makes for a morale killing experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have great ideas, start executing and delivering in a timely manor.

Worked for Tucows? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tucows reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tucows CEO Elliot Noss. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Tucows employees.