Tucows

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tucows President, CEO, and Director Elliot Noss

Elliot Noss

Relatively small company with huge ambitions, but failing frequently in operation and management.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsNicest coworkers I've ever had, felt like a real family. I had the opportunity to acquire new skills and improve my technical knowledge.

ConsHard to deal with the very poor communication between departments. It makes you feel that there is no real, cohesive unity, as if there were three or four companies in one. Some managers I had the chance to work with deserve praises for their technical expertise and their sincere and continuous efforts to deliver great results in time, but some others need to probably go back to school and enroll in a 'business management' program.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to upper management: please understand that the most valuable asset a company can have is its employees!

Good company to grow career

ProsFlexibility and ownership to pursue job tasks. Good support by managers who are encouraging and always on the lookout for me to develop in various ways.

ConsNothing much to say about cons really, its really about who you get to work with and how they support you along the way.

Amazing Culture

Senior Developer (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- No micro managing
    - Lots of freedom and trust in your abilities
    - Great benefits and travel opportunities
    - Fantastic inter-company opportunities to move up and increased responsibilities

ConsNone...I mean there are always ways to improve things, but no need to be greedy. The environment here is better than any other company I've worked at.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsThis company is client/employee focused, you could work from home and still make decent salary.

ConsIt is completely commission based, if you strive hard to develop a disciplined approach to sales you will make it, entry level sales agent will find it difficult to breakeven without much experience in this job.

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement should consider paying some form of salary/commission and invest in more training for the entry level recruits

An excellent company in which to gain experience, but a place that is not committed to keeping you there.

Customer Advisor (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent ideas behind the business and some really innovative approaches to the mobile and domain industries. Very little micromanagement of your work. Commitment to customer service that is refreshing for agents who are more or less empowered. It actually feels great to have the tools to help out your customers when most companies require you to tow their line. So many of the people are awesome.

ConsLack of respect for workers by some managers. Clear inability to deal with the movement from a relatively small call center operation in support to a larger operation. Vindictive personalities mixed with a "flat management" structure make getting your job done dependent on your relationships with specific more senior/advanced employees. Poor team cohesion. Bad scheduling. Terrible training (I cannot emphasize this). Unreasonable expectations for picking up new processes without any training at all. Managers are obsessed with pumping up the company without seeing any faults at all. CSAs take the blame for company failures everyday, and are rated by customers, and judged by managers, accordingly. The NPS scores used for evaluation are not a reflective metric to assess your work output.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, boost training time, recognize hard work, be honest and upfront, give better feedback, and use your small set up and smart products to be more flexible. Your employees will have more respect for you, will find their jobs less stressful and you might have less turnover.

Intense high pressure work environment with great people and good management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsSmall enough to be nimble. Large enough to make a difference and pays decently though could be better. Entrepreneurial spirit in the company. Good CEO.

ConsUnrealistic growth goals, quarter to quarter thinking. High employee turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your people better. Improve their pay.

Customer Service Department Run Really Badly

Customer Advisor (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros- stable hours
    - company is reputable
    - great benefits
    - free fruit throughout the day
    - knowledgeable and caring team leaders
    - Nice offce chairs
    - friendly receptionist
    - cake sometimes
    - will look good on a resume due to the industry being covered (mobile Android services in particular)
    - Great opportunity to use as a stepping stone to a better career somewhere else
    - nice patio to sit on during breaks complete with a BBQ

Cons- non competitive salary
    - shift work that does not respect family life balance
    - vindictive "political" management that treats (terrorizes) front line staff with a lack of respect while putting up a veneer of respectability to those management reports to.
    - Feeling that it's much better to keep your mouth shut than offer any input at all
    - Offering input will often end up giving you a bigger workload with no thanks or extra pay. Or fired.
    - performance reviews/manager meetings that are "set ups" (it's predetermined if your review is going to be "good" or "bad" even if you ARE doing "good" or "bad". Your work reviews are often based on office politics rather than actual metrics. Reviews based on management petty personal likes and dislikes rather than actual performance even when being reviewed by caring team leaders
    - being expected to work every single Holiday by department management with a complete lack of respect for family life balance
    - Customer Advisors often miss staff appreciation parties and staff events - ironically due to having to work (parties that could have been scheduled when everyone was off). The "appreciation" parties are scheduled to fit the downstairs developers departments schedule, as well as management's schedule. The scheduling needs of those upstairs is ignored.
    - Huge gulf between downstairs developers and upstairs Customer Service Advisors in terms of (feeling of) respect, pay and overall treatment
    - call centre type setup. A distinct feeling that staff are not looked at as professionals but as McCall Centre Employees by both management and downstairs half of the company
    - new processes introduced with little to NO training at all. Staff expected to instantly understand new processes despite lack of product training. Failures in terms of customer satisfaction passed onto/blamed on front line staff and team leaders by senior management rather than taking responsibility for THEIR failures
    - very little room to advance despite promises of implementing a better advancement structure
    - lack of appreciation from Management
    - the feeling that one can never "do enough", even when giving one's all
    - Being asked to come in at 7 in the morning for staff meetings by department management when shift doesn't start until 12 (senior management starts at 8, very convienient. For them)
    - fellow colleagues that for the most part are "putting in their time for a cheque" rather than being excited to go to work
    - constantly berated when doing things wrong, ignored when doing really great things
    - almost no communication between upper elechon management and upstairs staff. All communications handled through one senior manager. A feeling of not only being disconnected from the rest of the employees downstairs, but also of not being considered as important

Advice to Senior ManagementTucows is currently seen as a stepping stone to bigger and better places. Start treating your staff properly.

Great place to work

Mid-management (Current Employee)
    Toronto (Cuba)

ProsA lot of concern with having people in roles they're aligned with and a strong focus on corporate culture are great.

ConsFew opportunities for career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunity for advancement within would reduce staff turnover.

3 Great Years + 1 Horrific Year

Web Developer (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsSome terrific team members; very knowledgeable not just about technology. Photography, cycling, food, health, exercise. A very sharing community. Still in touch with many of my past colleagues. Summer and year end parties are a blast. Good health benefits.

ConsManagement's direction is often misguided. Even HR has frightful turnover.
    Management plays hurtful head games: to avoid paying severance to employees they've decided to dismiss, they start giving aggressively negative feedback in an effort to get them to resign. No recognition of employee effort.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop starving divisions of resources. Allow divisions to provide input into their own direction. Show employees some respect.

A great place to advance your career in 2012 / 2013

Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsOffers amazing customer service to customers. Strong support for members of the customer service team.

ConsNot on a subway line and parking can be expensive. Ride a bike!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has an open door policy. If I had something to say, I'll say it to them. :)

Worked for Tucows? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tucows reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tucows CEO Elliot Noss. All 14 reviews posted anonymously by Tucows employees.