Tucson Medical Center Reviews

Judith F. Rich

1. Depends on where you work at TMC

Former Employee - Patient Care Technician
    Former Employee - Patient Care Technician

I worked at Tucson Medical Center part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You make a difference for patients. Internal transfers let you move somewhere else if when you're floated you like someplace better. Now that I'm working somewhere else (my choice), I realize how good they took care of employees with benefits and celebrating people when they did a good job (the green saguaro stickers, PCT of the quarter and things like that). You always feel like your work means something for patients and that you work on a team.

Cons

Expect to float to fill other staffing needs so don't get too comfortable on your home unit. Some units are separate from the rest of the hospital and run totally differently. Schedules and expectations are different and when staff is short, will have to adjust and learn on your feet literally.

Advice to Management

More training and asking employees more what they need to know or don't know enough about. Help units do things in a similar way so it's easier for staff to work other places when they have to float.

2. Poor work environment

Former Employee - Patient Care Tech in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Patient Care Tech in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Tucson Medical Center part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer fair compensation and used to have tuition reimbursement. Could be worth it for a nursing student who can stick it out.

Cons

Most employees were unhappy. Poor management, work environment. Soured me on the entire nursing industry. Would probably stayed in the field if it weren't for my time here.

3. Love the people I work with!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center

Pros

Good pay, 12 hr shifts, benefits

Cons

Some of the equipment is old but they are slowly adding new, management doesn't seem to appreciate staff as much as it used too.

Advice to Management

More morale boosters for staff.

Great hospital, nice people, financially cut-throat management (which is a good thing).

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is a reason that Tucson Medical Center is the only hospial in tucson that is making any money - the vice presidents are very financially focused, and are smart enough to realize that if they want to stay in business - they have to make a "profit." Just about all associates at the director level are paid very well (>$110,000 minimum).

Cons

PTO policy really sucks, pay for ancillary (non-clinical staff) could be a lot better, Nursing managers walk around like they work on Wall Street, Poor upward mobility for non-clinical staff....

Advice to Management

Holidays should not drain PTO for fixed staff!!! Don't be so cheap!!

6. Many positive experiences

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity because of the breadth of systems and needs

Cons

Politics. The end goal of positive change is not embraced if someone at the top chooses to ignore it.

7. The IS department is "OK"

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center full-time

Pros

There are a lot of good people trying to do the right thing. It has potential to be a great place to work.

Cons

The IS department is an inter tangled mess of personal relationships. There is a large group in the IS management ranks that have personal business relationships outside of TMC so in effect the IS department is a good old boys club - this extends to the highest levels. People in IS that have been around long enough no longer need to contribute or be productive. Very management top heavy

Advice to Management

Stop hiring friends and outside business partners as employees and consultants.

8. My experience has been great at TMC.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working here mainly because of my co-workers. They are very compassionate and are always there to help when in need.

Cons

The challenge is mainly the staff to patient ratio. This makes it difficult because we are short staffed many times and it makes it difficult to give safe patient care at times.

Advice to Management

I think that focusing more on the work-life balance for employees will help retain employees and it shows that you are dedicated to the employees.

9. A heavy blame environment and a lot of CYA.

I worked at Tucson Medical Center full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people are good people, and the medical staff seems to care a lot about the patients and folks getitng well.

Cons

The other staff has a lot of CYA and blame game, rather than solution focused.

Advice to Management

Spend less time looking for fault, and more on finding solutions and resolving the real issues. Spend a little less time focused on just how long someone has been there.

10. Wonderful coworkers, wicked senior management

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Tucson Medical Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

TMC has some amazing staff. The nurses I worked with were competent, helpful, and kind. The benefits were okay though adding a spouse quickly became a nightmare. Unit level management was aloof but not unkind

Cons

Senior management has created a hostile working environment. Patient assignments were frequently unsafe and units were staffed too lean to assist patients. Compensation is fair to poor.

Advice to Management

Judy, please sell the red Mercedes and buy a reasonable car for the CEO of a non-profit. Seeing our fellow staff members suffer while you tool around in a brand new car is ridiculus. Please start caring about the caregivers.

Still an old boys club

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, central location, some really good, intelligent people to work alongside

Cons

Administration turns a deaf ear to most concerns brought up by employees and chooses to promote or give raises to people they like, not the person that works hard. The more effort you put in the more they take advantage of you.

Advice to Management

Better training courses for people who have no management experience, performance reviews should matter when employees are rating their supervisors

RSS Feed </> Embed