Tucson Medical Center

Tucson Medical Center Reviews

Updated Mar 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

My experience has been great at TMC.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsI love working here mainly because of my co-workers. They are very compassionate and are always there to help when in need.

ConsThe challenge is mainly the staff to patient ratio. This makes it difficult because we are short staffed many times and it makes it difficult to give safe patient care at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that focusing more on the work-life balance for employees will help retain employees and it shows that you are dedicated to the employees.

A heavy blame environment and a lot of CYA.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tucson Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people are good people, and the medical staff seems to care a lot about the patients and folks getitng well.

ConsThe other staff has a lot of CYA and blame game, rather than solution focused.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend less time looking for fault, and more on finding solutions and resolving the real issues. Spend a little less time focused on just how long someone has been there.

Wonderful coworkers, wicked senior management

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at Tucson Medical Center full-time for more than 8 years

ProsTMC has some amazing staff. The nurses I worked with were competent, helpful, and kind. The benefits were okay though adding a spouse quickly became a nightmare. Unit level management was aloof but not unkind

ConsSenior management has created a hostile working environment. Patient assignments were frequently unsafe and units were staffed too lean to assist patients. Compensation is fair to poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementJudy, please sell the red Mercedes and buy a reasonable car for the CEO of a non-profit. Seeing our fellow staff members suffer while you tool around in a brand new car is ridiculus. Please start caring about the caregivers.

Still an old boys club

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits, central location, some really good, intelligent people to work alongside

ConsAdministration turns a deaf ear to most concerns brought up by employees and chooses to promote or give raises to people they like, not the person that works hard. The more effort you put in the more they take advantage of you.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training courses for people who have no management experience, performance reviews should matter when employees are rating their supervisors

No Leadership and very toxic

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey compensate well. Their benefits are marginal.

ConsWhere to begin. Nepotism, managers favorites. Highly toxic environment. I see employees doing well in spite of their managers rather than because of their manager. Some other clinical departments seem good. Information Services is highly toxic. It is a blame based culture. Attitude reflects leadership!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees. Invest in your managers so as to encourage leadership.

Once you're in, you're in.

Surgical Technologist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company feels like a family. You hate them sometimes, but you love them all the same. While day to day can get a little rough, in a time of need, your coworkers and management will back you up. Healthcare benefits just can't be beat, as well as discounts at other businesses in the area. Once your'e in the ground floor, they'll move you into almost any position you're qualified for.

ConsThe management often seems distant and some departments are incredibly understaffed. Breaks are limited and the cafeteria food options are not that great.

Horrible experience. Nepotism, homophobia, racism and sexism all powerfully displayed in my unit

Nuclear Medicine Technologist (Former Employee)

I worked at Tucson Medical Center full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent benefits and compensation package

Consnepotism, very "click-ish" almost high School like work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your managers. Nepotism, homophobia, racism and sexist favoritism are not acceptable here, now or anywhere/anytime.

I loved working at Tucson Medical Center because I felt like I made a difference!

Pediatrics Welcome Desk Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center

ProsFriendly Staff. Safe Environment. New Facility. Great Employees. Helpful Nurses and Doctors. EPIC Computer System Training. New Pediatric Wing. Clean Hospital.

ConsThe job can be very boring sometimes if there are not a lot of visitors, but overall the other employees make it fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementTucson Medical Center needs to have signs that are more clear. Many people come into the new Pediatric Wing thinking that they can get emergency assistance there. They need to relay that there is no pediatric emergency room, only the regular one.

Financial problems affecting staff. TMC does not value their employees

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center

ProsLarge hospital, high acuity patients offer diversity in patient population. Some facilities in the process of being upgraded such as pediatrics and OB.

ConsFinancial cutbacks have affected benefits such as 401k matching, bidshift pay, and no on-call pay. High turnover rate as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementLower level management needs to be more prompt in addressing employee related issues such as scheduling. Ignoring phone messages and/or email is not acceptable behavior.

Check it out - great place to work!

Social Services Clinician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Tucson Medical Center

ProsIt's a very compassionate environment. Co-workers work together well and I believe feel like family. Everyone is helpful to each other and we're all there to do the best job we can for our customers - the patients.

ConsPaid time off, hospitals are 24/7, hard to juggle holidays because we have to use our own time accrued. We earn enough hours but using them for our own holidays feels as if we don't have as much as other organic=zations.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the way certain job titles can take holidays. If a certain job title doesn't need to work holidays i.e. not involved in direct patient care than maybe their position could have a set holiday schedule.

Worked for Tucson Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tucson Medical Center reviews and ratings. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by Tucson Medical Center employees.