Tucson Unified School District Reviews

Dr. H.T. Sánchez

1. Administrative Office Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tucson, AZ

Pros

Work hours: M-F; weekends off. Opportunity to learn how school administration functions.

Cons

No salary increases for several years; budget cuts every year; job future uncertainty due to budget cuts. No advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Recognize your support staff for their contributions and offer incentives to remain with the district, despite the fact that salary increases are non-existent.

2. An Alright Temporary Part Time Job

Current Employee - Community Education Activity Helper in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Community Education Activity Helper in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like working with kids, it's a lot of fun. The hours are very flexible and it's a comfortable work environment. It allows me to be myself around the kids and be the best influence I can for them. Working with kids has both opened my mind towards working in general, as I previously thought I wouldn't be good with kids, and given me experience in working with various age groups, from kindergarten children to adults.

Cons

Being that my job isn't seen as essential to the district, I haven't really received an opportunity for a raise, and I know other people have had to work a long time(1yr+) doing what I do to get a pay raise. I have had this job for about 7 months and I've had multiple issues with payroll. I do this because I like it, but at the end of the day, it is a job, and I expect to be paid for what I'm doing just as promptly as I'm expected to provide my service.

Secondary School Administrator

Former Employee - School Administrator in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - School Administrator in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Tucson Unified School District full-time

Pros

Terrific, hard-working staff members and wonderful students.

Cons

A long-standing spirit and record of dysfunction at the district level, including the governing board and district level leadership.

Advice to Management

Honest, I'd recommend taking a position at less money at a surrounding district.

5. monitor I watch the children

Current Employee - Monitor in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Monitor in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District part-time

Pros

I love my job I enjoy working with children they bring out the best in me. You can take care of them and give them love that they sometimes don't get at home.

Cons

The hours are not the best. The teachers can be hard to work with and get along with. The food is not the best

Advice to Management

Do not have any advice for this question.

Teacher

I worked at Tucson Unified School District full-time

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

Disrespect Paychecks are never correct Promised paid training, money never came which happens almost always. Students can physically assault you and no one will help you.

Advice to Management

Stop defending your students and stand up for you teachers.

7. Working for a dysfunctional school district

Current Employee - Teacher in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many individual schools are good places to work. There are some small schools giving the opportunity for work colleagues to get to know one another and help each other out. Parents are supportive and appreciate teachers.

Cons

Teaching in this district is frustrating since so little of the budget is allocated to the classroom, about 47% Additionally, teaching is managed. Every decision about the classroom is made at the district level, with very little authority given to the principal, much less the teachers. The test scores a great priority, while at the same time given a bare bones school budget.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus in the classroom when making decisions and allocating money.

8. Tusd

Current Employee - Teacher in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues, school spirit, grading days.

Cons

Classroom size, immaturity, cleanliness(?), direction.

Advice to Management

Remember us, please.

9. TUSD is a top heavy district with decisions made from those far away from the classroom.

Former Employee - Teacher in Tucson, AZ

I worked at Tucson Unified School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

TUSD is a large district with most of the schools located in neighborhoods that support their local school. There are many opportunities for teachers to get varied experiences such as teaching in neighborhood schools or larger urban schools.

Cons

TUSD is a top heavy organization, where most of the decisions are made far from the classroom. The difference between administrative salaries and teacher salaries is wide. District level administrative salaries are given priority over teacher compensation; contributing to the high turn over of classroom teachers.

Advice to Management

District level leadership must invest in the classroom teachers in the form of compensation, shared decision making and should hold administrators accountable for their performance beyond the test scores of the school.

Children

Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Guest Teacher in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great staff members and really nice people

Cons

In the city, some of the meanest children. One threatened to throw a chair at me because I asked him to clean up!

Advice to Management

Expulsion needs to be brought back in those classrooms, or at least some way to make the children behave.

Teachers are not valued

Current Employee - Teacher in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Tucson Unified School District full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you like being underpaid and overworked this is the place for you.

Cons

No respect for personal time, no supplies, crowded classrooms, sped students not properly placed, no support, everything put on teachers` shoulders

Advice to Management

Students and families enroll their children in classes not because of the principal/ administration but because of the teacher`s legacy. Stop abusing teachers. How come teachers who were "underperforming" in your district are highly performing in well reputable schools and high ranking U.S. schools? Check statistics on your former employees and you will be surprised. Advice to management assess your competency

RSS Feed </> Embed