Tucson Unified School District

Dr. H.T. Sánchez

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

TUSD

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsThe majority of teachers are dedicated and enjoy their work. They will spend out of pocket and are committed to the education of their students. I don't think TUSD is any better or worse than the majority of schools in similar situations.

ConsTUSD has a large minority population and a poor economic background. 80% of success is usually predetermined by geographic region. The influx of charter schools has severely crippled the educational institution. There is less money to share and more choice for the students. This means students have the power and go to schools that will give out diplomas.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere should be a third party organization that conducts audits for all public schools and online providers. Limitations on the number of schools would drastically reduce redundancy and increase standards. Unfortunately, the system is at fault for the vast majority of problems in the public school system. It is unlikely to be solved without outside intervention.

TUSD is a top heavy district with decisions made from those far away from the classroom.

Teacher (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsTUSD is a large district with most of the schools located in neighborhoods that support their local school. There are many opportunities for teachers to get varied experiences such as teaching in neighborhood schools or larger urban schools.

ConsTUSD is a top heavy organization, where most of the decisions are made far from the classroom. The difference between administrative salaries and teacher salaries is wide. District level administrative salaries are given priority over teacher compensation; contributing to the high turn over of classroom teachers.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict level leadership must invest in the classroom teachers in the form of compensation, shared decision making and should hold administrators accountable for their performance beyond the test scores of the school.

Children

Guest Teacher (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsGreat staff members and really nice people

ConsIn the city, some of the meanest children. One threatened to throw a chair at me because I asked him to clean up!

Advice to Senior ManagementExpulsion needs to be brought back in those classrooms, or at least some way to make the children behave.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teachers are not valued

Teacher (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsIf you like being underpaid and overworked this is the place for you.

ConsNo respect for personal time, no supplies, crowded classrooms, sped students not properly placed, no support, everything put on teachers` shoulders

Advice to Senior ManagementStudents and families enroll their children in classes not because of the principal/ administration but because of the teacher`s legacy. Stop abusing teachers. How come teachers who were "underperforming" in your district are highly performing in well reputable schools and high ranking U.S. schools? Check statistics on your former employees and you will be surprised. Advice to management assess your competency

When a site is good it is very very good but when it is bad....

V Yrs As Sub Teacher, V As Custodian (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsHave worked at schools throughout the district it is only fair to say that the quality of a site is completely dependent on administration. Sadly, the tired indifferent paper shufflers seem to far out number the leaders and motivators. There are some amazing principals but often their hands are tired by district politics. The majority of the teachers I have met are dedicated and care deeply for their students.

ConsMy overall experience is that in most TUSD sites, all you have to do is the bare minimum. mediocre employees rarely lose their jobs but simply get moved to a new site. There is often very little accountability on the day to day. As a substitute teacher it was not uncommon for me to go through an entire day with no interaction or checks from any of the staff, outside of getting let into my classroom at the start of the day. As a custodian, it is only the pride in one's own work that determines any real quality. It is very easy to put about three hours of effort into an 8 hour shift and have no to little repercussion.

Advice to Senior ManagementA stagnate site is as much as a warning sign as one full of complaints. Create a check system that allows employees to evaluate and provide feedback that does not have to move through their peers and immediate administration

TUSD

Teacher (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsMy current site has a wonderful administrator who really follows through and is a strong leader. We use data to drive instruction and are given plenty of excellent professional development to support this. We are also given time to meet in teams to plan together, review student data and plan interventions.

ConsMany people who have difficulty with doing their job properly are just moved to a new site. Nothing is done about poor administrators in my experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a mentorship program for administrators who are not doing their jobs adequately.

A large school district that is trying its best....

AVID Tutor (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsI worked as an AVID tutor at a low income school. The amount of money I earned hourly was great. It was rewarding working with the kids and being able to help them reach their goals

ConsIt was a bit disorganized. At times, I wasn't even sure who my superior was.... I simply reported to the teachers instead... I really wish that the AVID program was a bit more structured within the district.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more organized!

Unstable work environment, large teacher turnover

Teacher (Former Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsDedicated teachers and classified staff.

ConsOngoing school closures make for an unstable work environment, low pay for teachers and classified staff, no raises for the last 5 years

Advice to Senior ManagementBe loyal to your long time employees, take periodic climate surveys that do not go through site or central administration, implement employee suggestions that save money and stay focused on school site successes.

District Has issues but my job serves my purpose for now

Health Assistant (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsLots of vacation time. Involved with kids

ConsNot enough pay, not enough money for the kids, political issues

Advice to Senior Managementnone

I am a special education teacher.

Teacher (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

ProsThere is a great Diversity in this district

ConsThe salary is not competitive with other states.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach basic reading skills to those who need it.

Worked for Tucson Unified School District? Contribute to the Community!