Tufts Health Plan

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014
3.5

James Roosevelt Jr.

Excellent company to work for. Treat employees very well. Great morale and good pay.

I worked at Tufts Health Plan as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits. Management was very friendly and you'll see the CEO walking around. Very open door policy.

Cons

Health insurance isn't very exciting...however, the management and other employees keep it interesting and exciting.

None.

Good Place to Start

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Tufts Health Plan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

THP is a great place to get your start in the Healthcare industry. The company atmosphere is positive and there are a lot of activities and clubs to take advantage of. It is what you make of it. There is an onsite Gym that offers classes, an Onsite cafe, Clubs such as toastmasters, diversity council and a gardening club, activities such as the Tufts 10K for women, volunteer activities.

Cons

The Systems are outdated and are older than I am, this can make for some issues with getting work done. It can also be difficult to move up or change departments. In my experience The best way to get a job is to know someone. Depending on the department there can be a lack of management support.

Support your employees more.

Poorest management team I've ever worked for

Current Employee - Specialty Case Manager  in  Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Specialty Case Manager in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Tufts Health Plan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Colleagues were seasoned d professional.

Cons

Mid-level management in specialty case management is & has been on a decline for the last four years. Despite repeated feedback from team to HR & senior management, department director& culture has not change-too much micromanagement, and too little trust and autonomy for very capable staff. Unfortunately has changed from a highly functioning to a dysfunctional team with high turnover.Those of us who stay are biding time till retirement; it's very sad for all of us as we care about our members. A good case study for dysfunctional organizational behavior.

Senior management should listen to employees in specialty case mnagement-we can't all be wrong for so many ears. Look at how many good nurses you have lost.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Work/Life Balance, but upward mobility close to non-existent.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Tufts Health Plan full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work/life balance is excellent. Although flexibility varies by department/boss, people are allowed to work remotely (especially during bad weather), have flex-schedules and devote time to volunteer work (8 hours paid per year). Most people are dedicated, smart, hard-working and professional. In general it is a nice place to work.

Cons

There are very limited opportunities for upward mobility. Many people need to "go to grow." The company does not reward high performers with promotions and doesn't penalize under-performers. Unfortunately, recent organizational/structural changes have seen the promotions of several folks who did not deserve them, leaving many direct reports struggling and unhappy.

Listen to feedback from "work and file" employees regarding poor evaluations for their bosses. Don't sweep negative feedback under the rug, and then promote folks, as this has had (and will continue to have) a very negative impact on morale and the increasing number of good folks leaving the company. Determine the strategy with the new structure and enforce rules regaring maintenance of high quality work/processes with the new division.

Great pay and benefits but terrible management

Former Employee - Case Manager  in  Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Case Manager in Watertown, MA

I worked at Tufts Health Plan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent PTO and benefits, good salary, work remotely, some excellent employees, diverse, some good leadership

Cons

Management does not show leadership skills. Disappointing. Frequent changes to software, documentation, policies etc. Not enough time to train properly.

Listen to the annual employee evaluations, we write them anonymously so use the feedback. You lost a lot of great employess by small minded weak managers.

Perfect if you are looking for stability

Current Employee - Marketing Director  in  Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Tufts Health Plan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Gym and cafeteria onsite. Close enough to Boston, Cambridge, Waltham and Needham. So if you live in the Boston area it means you won't have much of a commute. Onsite parking garage. Lots of extra curricular activities such as an onsite Toastmasters club, volunteering opportunities and training courses. Senior management keeps employees abreast on company direction.

Cons

Most of the people have worked here for a long time, there isn't much turnover and when someone leaves they usually tend to hire from outside. Salaries I soon found our are on the lower end. There are lots of cliques and if you don't fit in you may soon find yourself on the way out. Human Resources is not very helpful, most of them are contract employees and so they side with management. For a company that is in the business of offering health insurance, they charge quite a lot for health insurance. Lots of meetings.

There needs to be a change in culture. Less meetings, more employee involvement and also reconsider how employees are evaluated.

Great environment, but growth can be slow

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Tufts Health Plan full-time for more than a year

Pros

Amazing group of very smart people. Fantastic benefits, fully functioning cafeteria, and great gym on-site. that you won't find at many other companies. Everybody is always smiling and greeting one another at THP. It seems exhausting at first. but you learn to love it.

Cons

Career growth can be slow because there is not a ton of turnover.

Please keep doing what you are doing. This has been my favorite Senior Management Group to date. All incredibly approachable. My advice to the people reading this is to not hesitate to say hello to any of them. They will likely make you smile.

Medicare Sales Rep (Contract)

I worked at Tufts Health Plan full-time for less than a year

Pros

Salary, Co-workers, Training, Some upper level management, Time-off

Cons

Not much chance for upward growth/ Expand on career

VERY political place

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Watertown, MA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Watertown, MA

I worked at Tufts Health Plan full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

great earned time policy
    gym in building

Cons

rampant nepotism
    lack of career growth
    moody uncooperative managers

don't allow senior managers to have under their management
    stop allowing the prima donna syndrome to perpetuate

Was once a great place to work at, after Obamacare, they were cutting costs

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Watertown, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Watertown, MA

I have been working at Tufts Health Plan full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work life balance, training opportunities, gym onsite, nice coworkers, amazing healthy cafeteria, work on the latest issues in healthcare.

Cons

Poor Management, I worked more in the IT side of things and was more or less forced to code and QA my own work for a pretty low salary. Lots of politics especially if you are male, very female oriented and woman managers show hostility towards males. Lots of promotions of people who did not deserve them (hint, you don't know what a Left Join is or what Indexes are, you have no right managing IT). Pay was pretty pathetic to and after a few years they start making excuses on why they shouldn't give you your raise.

Really look at how bad management is, way to many meetings, people in IT who have no business there. The obvious sexism towards the advancement of Males on some departments.

Worked for Tufts Health Plan? Contribute to the Community!