Tufts Health Plan

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

James Roosevelt Jr.

Great environment, but growth can be slow

Analyst (Current Employee) Watertown, MA

ProsAmazing group of very smart people. Fantastic benefits, fully functioning cafeteria, and great gym on-site. that you won't find at many other companies. Everybody is always smiling and greeting one another at THP. It seems exhausting at first. but you learn to love it.

ConsCareer growth can be slow because there is not a ton of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep doing what you are doing. This has been my favorite Senior Management Group to date. All incredibly approachable. My advice to the people reading this is to not hesitate to say hello to any of them. They will likely make you smile.

Medicare Sales Rep (Contract)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary, Co-workers, Training, Some upper level management, Time-off

ConsNot much chance for upward growth/ Expand on career

Was once a great place to work at, after Obamacare, they were cutting costs

Analyst (Current Employee) Watertown, MA

ProsGood work life balance, training opportunities, gym onsite, nice coworkers, amazing healthy cafeteria, work on the latest issues in healthcare.

ConsPoor Management, I worked more in the IT side of things and was more or less forced to code and QA my own work for a pretty low salary. Lots of politics especially if you are male, very female oriented and woman managers show hostility towards males. Lots of promotions of people who did not deserve them (hint, you don't know what a Left Join is or what Indexes are, you have no right managing IT). Pay was pretty pathetic to and after a few years they start making excuses on why they shouldn't give you your raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally look at how bad management is, way to many meetings, people in IT who have no business there. The obvious sexism towards the advancement of Males on some departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great environment, if you want one job forever

ProsGreat environment, everyone is very welcoming. In-house cafeteria is nice.

ConsYou are stuck in your job until you hit your 'salary-cap'. Then and only then are you considered for a promotion. This has been discussed at numerous meetings and department announcements, and is just an accepted notion. Also, good luck getting an IT/IS project completed in a year, the wait time for a developer is currently at 6-8 months. All of the systems are built upon legacy databases and servers (one from 1975 that the business refuses to sunset), so be prepared to hear "That's not something the system can process"

Good company but many people take their employment for granted.

IT Staff (Current Employee) Watertown, MA

ProsThe company is stable and has very few periods of instability and layoffs.

ConsMany mangers have been promoted within and lack experience and the skill set to manage.
    The company does not make management training mandatory.
    Some managers have Fridays off which make it difficult to get things done before the weekend.

Advice to Senior ManagementMany departments have team leaders and employees with seniority that create an hostile work environment
    THP would be a much better company if they removed the bad apples but many managers are afraid to do so.

VERY political place

Analyst (Former Employee) Watertown, MA

Prosgreat earned time policy
    gym in building

Consrampant nepotism
    lack of career growth
    moody uncooperative managers

Advice to Senior Managementdon't allow senior managers to have under their management
    stop allowing the prima donna syndrome to perpetuate

Not bad, good atmosphere and culture.

Human Resources (Current Employee) Watertown, MA

ProsBenefits, culture, and training. It is not a bad place to work.

ConsUnless you stay long enough, growth happens very very slowly but gradually.

Well established

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe processes that were in place were sound but sometimes that seemed to get in the way of being too creative.

ConsNot much training or ability to be flexible

Great place for IT professionals

Project Manager (Current Employee) Watertown, MA

ProsDirection and leadership
    Approachable management
    Well documented process materials
    Appreciation of work effort

ConsTough location to commute into
    On site wellness center doesnt sell basic pharmacy supplies (alka seltzer, cough medicine, etc)

Advice to Senior ManagementAn on site convenience store would be great!

Interesting Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Watertown, MA

ProsExcellent compensation, flexible schedule, experienced several different roles which built my resume and gave me real world experience. Employees mostly friendly and helpful. Nice skylight in the cafeteria with very good but somewhat expensive food.

ConsMy role wasn't very clear - some days I would have nothing to do and I was never really sure who I exactly worked for. In terms of the working environment- High, gray cubicles with low social interaction and a kinda of dreary feel ALL THE TIME... lots of gray.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should consider implementing a more structured intern program with someone directly in charge-Someone who checks in on the interns, establishes their connection with the person they are reporting to and gives them some guidance.

Worked for Tufts Health Plan? Contribute to the Community!