Tufts Medical Center

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Wagner

Friendly but demanding place.

Community Health Intern (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIt's right in the center of the city, easy to get to, friendly and diverse staff. The hours are manageable, and I hear from my supervisor that the insurance package is good, so is vacation time.

ConsI don't know if there is room to grow within the hospital as some departments have very few positions, so it seems to be a place to gain experience if you are looking for a higher ranked job/well paid job (outside of doctors, medical staff). I'm talking more about the office workers.

Also, the job postings only really want people with experience, but as an intern there I find that some of the jobs e.g. program assistant, admin's assistant are manageable for 'inexperienced' college grads, yet they demand so much for a low paying job.

Lack of Communication, non consistency in practice

ProsFriendly Atmosphere, Plenty of entry level jobs available.

ConsPromotions are hard to come by and there is no rate increase unless you obtain a promotion. Organization of departments is inconsistent as well as the systems used.

Great place to work

ProsGreat people, and environment to work in

ConsThe pay isn't that high.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The best place I have ever worked at.

Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat people who are mission driven. Very collegial and smart people work at Tufts Medical. They are committed to great and compassionate patient care, state of the art research and training the physicians of the future.

ConsLimited resources due to underpayment from Regional Insurance companies and the reductions coming from state and federal payers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the transparent manner in which you manage. People are behind you because they trust you.

Wonderful people.

Clinical Patient Safety Aide (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe reputation it holds and the resources available.

ConsIt needs more diversity in the field of medicine

Great for student work i.e. internships, grad student research, ALEs

Health Communications Associate/Intern, ALE (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsVery accommodating offices and physicians: they make themselves available to help. Culture is friendly and lighthearted, people care about patients.

ConsExtra demands on time occasionally, not all offices alike. Occasionally any bad press may spill over. Also, I'm not being paid (I'm doing research as a graduate student to fulfill a degree requirement), so occasionally the demands are inconvenient/more than I originally agreed to.

Clinical Research

Administrative (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsPros include the opportunity to contribute to a growing clinical and basic science research community. The affiliated schools and research institutes are close by, which creates a sense of synergy. The clinicians are first rate and, in my experience, very grounded individuals who are nice to work with.

ConsCons include modest pay, spotty administrative leadership, limited opportunities for advancement. As an organization, TMC does seem hierarchical and bureaucratic.

Department of Rheumatology

Administrative (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThe orange line stop was right across the street, one stop from Back Bay. Made the commute easier. Also proximity to Downtown Crossing and the common. Human Resources was always very nice, and they really helped me with issues when I resigned.

ConsMy two direct superiors were a nightmare to work for. One was the worst manager I have ever had. I had no training, was expected to know everything right off the bat, was accused of lying about the train running late in the winter, just to name a few. I would get in trouble for things I had absolutely no control of or wasn't trained on, and he wouldn't just speak to me privately about it, he would ream me out, sometimes in front of coworkers. Nothing I ever said mattered. I could remind my other boss 100 times about a meeting, even 10 minutes before, and if he decided to skip it or still didn't go, I "wasn't doing my job" and got an earful. I could go on and on but I'll stop there.

As for my other superior, he would never tell me if something needed to be changed, or if he wasn't happy about something. He would pretend it was fine and say it was fine or good to me, but then would complain to the other guy and I would get an earful about it, having NO idea it was coming. He also degraded me in front of coworkers one day when he missed a meeting I had sent him reminders for.

Working at Tufts Medical Center was excellent experience for nursing

Registered Nurse (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsFlexible scheduling, collaborative, multidisciplinary, collegial relationships. Worked with fantastic, caring, and compassionate nursing staff. Physicians were friendly, helpful, and enjoyed teaching the staff. Excellent benefits.

ConsExpensive parking requiring parking 4-5 blocks away from the hospital, although shuttle service was available. Positions were not always fairly distributed (friends hired over others more deserving at times).

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure equal opportunities among employees when applying for nursing positions.

Network Support

Network Support (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsNo Pros - The existing team consists on 2-3 individuals

ConsLegacy Network
    Bad Attitudes
    No Knowledge transfer
    total lack of team spirit and support

Advice to Senior ManagementCurrent Management is better that before but would be good if they can actually build a good team under them.

Worked for Tufts Medical Center? Contribute to the Community!