Tufts Medical Center

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
3.2

Michael Wagner

Pros
  • Great people who are mission driven (in 4 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about Healthcare (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Dysfunctional senior leadership and too much patronage; total lack of resources making it challenging to do things well (in 3 reviews)

• You feel underappreciated by upper management (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Administrative Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tufts Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

excellent staff development opportunities and promotions from within,

flexible hours to accomodate work- life balance.

management accessible and responsive.

Cons

parking situation nearby is expensive

It's alright.......I guess

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tufts Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary is competitive. There is reasonable understanding on the part of leadership when it comes to flex hours. If I'm running late one day, it isn't held against me. Everyone in our office works more than 40 hrs a week anyways, so it is a wash.

Cons

My office lacks leadership and culture. It's a small office, but everyone seems to hate their job. The leadership doesn't want to hire additional people to save money and it takes advantage of employees' commitments to the organization by continually pushing responsibilities to a continually shrinking number of employees.

Hire people to fill gaps. Recognize how much people work, and do a better job of creating reasonable work-life balance. Work to develop a culture that isn't so deadbeat. I don't know how to do this, but I'm also not in management.

Great possibilities but future in serious doubt

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Tufts Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1 Tufts Medical Center - formerly New England Medical Center - is currently a great but small hospital.
    2 Highly skilled and dedicated staff of all types of work.
    3 Mission first priority and lots of learning opportunities.
    4 "ok" pay if you hold out for it.

Cons

1 Physical plant problems continue to plague the entire center.
       Not only are building aging but a total lack of fiscal planning leaves some departments (especially the "Center Building") in a rather unpleasant questionable safety state.
    2 "Worlds stupidest" parking system. Don't get me started on this one - really... you have a buy a "book of tickets" every month and no, you can't drive out at lunch time and get back in - you have to use another ticket but don't have extras. But night shift staff parks for free.
    2 The new "well point" health system "set up" is not likely to help the main campus or the Lowell, MA hospital as I can't see Tufts MC staff going to Lowell and I can't see where "synergies" for patients will actually occur. Lowell is an inferior hospital and will require attention and money the Washington ST (main campus) does not have to give Lowell.
    3 Elitist / entitled young doctors are a problem and a source of much stress for under equipped clinic staff. Other hospitals don't have it this bad. Section chiefs need to work on this more carefully.

I say the worst underlying problem is that the neighboring Boston Medical Center is failing (and only a mile or so away on Harrison ave) and like a sinking ship they are taking Tufts Medical Center with them. This is because of "medical surges" that take place when people "shop around" for doctors and free care - wearing down the staff. Tufts needs to power up the engines and sail away (figuratively!) before its too late. Lowell is not a better place for anyone (is the City of Lynn too good?)

A good place to get your feet wet, but you will quickly start to feel like you work for the stepchild hospital in Boston

Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Boston, MA

I worked at Tufts Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching hospital with multiple learning opportunities, smaller hospital than the other teaching hospitals in Boston so it feels more like a community hospital where everyone knows each other.

Cons

You are reminded daily of the financial strain the hospital is under and you feel it in your workload, your pay, and the constant turnover. You feel underappreciated by upper management.

Try to do more things to make the employees feel appreciated. Even if you can't pay the same as the other hospitals in town, try to at least keep morale higher than it is.

Research

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tufts Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Location I guess? Easy commute via red and orange lines, though they get sketchy quickly after dark...

Cons

Research management seemed completely inept. Had a PI leave unexpectedly, TMC wanted the various lab staff gone within 2 weeks, and gave us a list of labs. Thats not really how postdoc research works...

Extremely poor pay, poor benefits, antiquated buildings and equipment. Its like being back int he 70s!

need major improvements

Current Employee - Unit Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Unit Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tufts Medical Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co workers are the best thing about this place. Close to downton and chinatown. You can find ok food sometimes.

Cons

The pay is horrible. You only get a raise if they think they made enough money. The buildings are old and whole hospital is just disorganized. What hospital does not have a real cafeteria?!

Better training all around. Upgrade buildings. Pay all employees more not just nurses, after all without the rest of the staff this hospital would not be able to function. Appreciate your employees!!!!

It was ok

Current Employee - Medical Call Center Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Medical Call Center Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tufts Medical Center as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You learn a lot from working at Tufts Medical. Its in a convenient location

Cons

Management played favorites, Was HORRIBLE with doing their jobs.

PAY MORE ATTENTION TO YOUR EMPLOYERS

I worked at Tufts Medical Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, central location in the city, decent work life balance

Cons

Endless change in leadership which trickles down to each department.

Good experience in a smaller hospital with a large potential to grow and excel

Former Employee - Research Fellow in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Research Fellow in Boston, MA

I worked at Tufts Medical Center part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Intelligent staff and collaborators, genuine efforts to communicate and great city to live. Great learning experience.

Cons

Limited research career growth, demanding work environment with limited potential

A great learning experience

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Tufts Medical Center full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Worked with a wonderful staff of Physicians and Nurses that was willing to enhance my knowledge more about health care which made me want to further my education.

Cons

I felt as though as long as i have been with the organization the pay was not high enough.

The support staffing isn't heard enough and it becomes frustrating when they say they hear our frustration and nothing is done.