Tulalip Casino

Updated Jun 19, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sheryl Fryberg

A stable job with very good benefits

ProsI think the benefits are very good compared with many other companies

ConsThe political environment here is something you need to ignore or it will get to you

Advice to Senior ManagementThere really isn't management because the tribe runs the casino. It is their sovereign nation so everyone working there should be glad to have a job and stop complaining about the tribal people getting all the good jobs.
    I'm glad to be an employee there despite the political environment and I plan to work there for many more years

Don't work here

Prosthe only pros are they have decent benefits, which are slowly diminishing.

Consonce you are employed, one will have a very difficult time moving upward. supervisors and management are typically secretive and less than honest. Tulalip casino and resort does not have an annual pay raise, nor do they offer a cost of living increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with the employees, tell them the plans and allow the employees upward mobility avenues. Help them continue to find a position which they can be happy.

Just a number

Beverage Server (Current Employee) Tulalip, WA

ProsThe benefits at the casino are great you got anything from basic health to having your pet added to your insurance.

ConsIf you are not part of the tulalip tribe then you are only a number and expendable. Their goal is to screw people and families over to make room for their own people who are not even experienced for the position.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning opportunity

Slot Attendant (Former Employee) Marysville, WA

ProsThe environment is Fun, There are a lot of great and kind customers. The On Site Training to help the culture of the Casino was good.

ConsFloor Staff has constantly Changing schedules. The business is open 24 hour a day. Tribal Preference holds back non tribal members.

A job for someone ready to settle down

Slot Technician (Current Employee) Tulalip, WA

Prossmaller group of individuals creates a family mentality

Consat the end of the day your taking more than your adding to society. usually from little grandmas.

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees more like they are the ones making you your money.

Great company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits (medical, dental, and vision), 401k contribution is good

ConsThe whole "if you know someone, you get somewhere" kind of thing is a downfall to this company. With a degree, you will be beat to a promotion/better job to someone who is of Tulalip descent. PTO is hard when working in the "industry". I personally missed so much of my life working there.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize good employees before they leave!

A great place to work.

Pit Manager (Former Employee) Tulalip, WA

ProsTulalip Casino takes care of their employees. Don't expect bonuses and raises, because hourly and annual salaries are well above the industry standard.

ConsSteer clear of the politics, it is easy enough to get ahead in this company by simply being good in your area.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if education initiatives were undertaken and if information systems were overhauled. Not enough analytics being done in this organization- great area of opportunity being missed.

Good benefits but stagnant pay and only promotions for tribal members...racism

Warehouse (Current Employee) Marysville, WA

ProsMedical Insurance- its free if youre the only person on it
    Amount of leave
    Amount of paid holidays
    Decent starting pay-but starting pay is what you will basically be at forever because they have to give all of their money to tribal members that don't even work there

ConsZero chance for advancement unless you're a tribal member
    Never give raises for years of service, performance, or cost of living

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your dedicated employees a cost of living raise once in awhile
    Give your employees a chance at a promotion

An exercise in futility for change and improvement without sharing the vision or building the team from within.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Marysville, WA

ProsThe company has one of Washington State's best health care plans available to its employees. This is a casino which means that people are going to gamble no matter what. Even as difficult as our countries economic situation has been, people still seem to be able to spend tons of money on slots and table games. Because of this, you're are pretty much almost guaranteed job security outside of doing something you have no business doing that would get you fired from any other job. Team building was very important in order to get the job done.

ConsThe main problem is the culture of expectancy plainly laid out for all to see that grants tremendous benefits to tribal members at the exclusion of all others. In the world of business, money talks. That's the reason, according to upper management's design for the constant changes to the floor. Yet, the benefits are only shared with the tribal members in the form of monthly monetary gains above and beyond their current salaries or hourly wages. It's something to the effect of $900 per month which also includes an average sum of a $3,500 Christmas bonus each year. Keep in mind, if you are not tribal, you will not be seeing any of these cash bonuses. Non-tribal members do get something for Christmas, $100 gift card and it's usually set up to be used at Walmart. This I would say causes a deep division between them and us. It's not good for the business culture and very one sided. Playing the devil's advocate, all I can say is, "They are a sovereign nation on tribal land in a tribal corporation". You need to understand this before you attempt to apply.

Advice to Senior ManagementUntil you can change the culture of the divide between the tribal members and non-tribal members, it will be nearly impossible to get 100% commitment or anything near that towards the company by all employees. Build up your employees from within allowing them to take on responsibilities because of their commitment to excellence in making the business look better and not simply because they are tribal and you have to fill a tribal mandate. If a tribal member is qualified can perform the job as required and can do it better than most, by all means, it should be theirs.

My experience at the Tulalip Casino was unique.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tulalip, WA

ProsHealth benefits for employees are awesome. Should employees want to add dependents, it is very expensive.

Many of the people are great to work with, but sometimes the atmosphere can be secretive and guarded.

ConsExpensive benefits for dependents.

Upward mobility is difficult to the Preference structure.

Worked for Tulalip Casino? Contribute to the Community!