Tulane University

www.tulane.edu

Tulane University Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014
Tulane University – New Orleans – “Zach Morgan and Orleans Darkwa celebrating after…”

Tulane University President and Director Scott S. Cowen

Scott S. Cowen

Pros
  • The weather in New Orleans is enjoyable, the city is very nice, and the food is the best(in 12 reviews)

• Depending on your position the work life balance is good(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I can't really think of any at the moment, Tulane is a New Orleans institution(in 6 reviews)

• Opportunities for advancement are rare, management will nickel and dime you, cut pay while increasing work responsibilities(in 3 reviews)

Excellent place for learning and great people.

Graduate Student (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsGreat people and fantastic facilities. Top notch professors and awesome office stop. There is always help when you needed. Geaux Wave!!

ConsLack of funding for research. Parking is a huge issue. Stop wasting money on Football stadiums and start thinking about how to compete with the top quality research universities.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in research and try to come up with multidisciplinary departments.

Research Tech

ProsOutdoor research facility, In the woods

ConsNot very open-minded, Rural location. nothing around.

Software Developer

Software Developer (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsGreat benefits and work life balance

ConsLess challenging and low pace work

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep more momentum in the work and have decision making strong

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Opportunity For Direct Impact on Students with a supportive work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsRelative long-term job stability, supportive work environment, very reasonable hours, generous fringe benefits (such as tuition waiver) and opportunity to have positive impact on the overall direction of the University.

ConsLimited upward mobility, many layers of management in University hierarchy, budget constraints leave little room for pay increases or promotions.

A good place to work if you don't care about your work.

Development (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsThere are a few good people here, and they will help you get ahead.
    12 sick days per year
    Lots of Holidays
    Vacation time is pretty generous
    Never have to work outside of business hours
    7.5 hour work day (37.5 hour workweek)

ConsPoor management
    Powerless management
    Cover-your-ass culture
    Employees' primary interest is in self-preservation, not in accomplishing goals
    No praise for good work
    No feedback on poor work
    No social culture, no company culture
    Suggestions for improvement are deemed "complaints"
    Absolutely NO work from home
    Extreme disconnect between management and employee satisfaction.
    Boss will sometimes give you grief for using earned PTO (sick or vacation).

Advice to Senior ManagementTulane hemorrhages talent and breeds mediocrity; exceptional hires soon realize that co-workers are not interested in a job well done (instead, they would rather keep archaic processes in interest of self-preservation) and jump ship.

Maximum shelf life of a smart staff person at Tulane is 3 years.

Engage employees and give merit to complaints when they are brought to you.

Facilitate mediation when peer conflicts arise.

Cultivate a culture where co-workers get to know each other so that they respect each other as human beings, instead of cogs.

Reward a job well done; offer constructive feedback and professional development when work is lacking. It is possible to go for weeks at a time without interacting with another person or doing any work-- management isn't even turning a blind eye, they are simply oblivious.

No management actually occurs here-- mangers do not personally interact with employees, and rather leave co-workers to fend for themselves when resolving conflicts. Policy changes (as if there were any policies to follow to begin with) are impossible.

Good research environment for medical school

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee)

Prosgood benefits for faculty and staff, highly collaborative research

Consdifficult to advance in some fields, dissociation between management and researchers which can diminish productivity

Advice to Senior Managementactually take what faculty and staff have to say to heart, not town hall meeting to say you meet with and discussed issues

Excellent University to work for

Web Developer (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

Pros-Great Benefits
    -Excellent work/life balance
    -Free education.

Cons-If you want to be bullied/harassed while working in the ADIS department, this is the place for you.
    - Racism runs rampant in this department.
    - I was initially selected for an interview because they thought I was a female.
    - You'll have no idea what you're doing for at least 6 months.
    -Terrible base pay, which was expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house in ADIS. It's the same people running the show for over 20 years, and they have no clue how to manage/treat people.
    Also, no need for racial behavior as well as harassment.

Great university and great people to work with.

ProsCulture is great, motivating people to help each other.
    Students are smart and easy to work with.
    Campus is beautiful.

ConsNone for me to say

Decent Job. Cheap Leadership

ProsPay is decent, and there is a relaxed atmosphere.

ConsRelaxed atmosphere = getting things done can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart being less cheap and things will begin to start working better...

Great People, Frustrating Beauracracy

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsMost people are overqualified for their positions so your coworkers are likely to be full of experience and contacts. Everyone I've worked with and directly under is wonderful. The campus is beautiful.

ConsThe outside contractors treat their employees like slaves and it can create tension. The administration is desperate to appear modern and as a result jumps on stupid ideas without proper consideration, so when they do an update expect problems and poor support. (Most recently they switched payroll for students but didn't add more workers to Payroll, resulting in multiple students not getting paid in time to get their rents paid and the departmental heads having to fight for the students. A huge headache that still rages on.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess flash, more substance. Give departments more autonomy.

Worked for Tulane University? Contribute to the Community!