Tulane University Reviews

Reset
2.0
Tulane University President and Director Scott S. Cowen
Scott S. Cowen

Pros
  • Depending on your position the work life balance is good (in 7 reviews)

• work and enjoy the culture of New Orleans (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • There is not many job opportunities on Engineering in New Orleans and the safety is a problem (in 7 reviews)

• low salary, salary not comparable with the cost of living (in 4 reviews)

1. former employee

Pros

Nice campus but like many legacy schools, money is more important than anything.

Cons

Treat faculty like a commodity.

2. Postdoctoral Fellow

I have been working at Tulane University full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to teach classes, mentor students, and network with colleagues in the field. Easy to meet people from other parts of campus, including other new faculty.

Cons

Postdoctoral status makes you ineligible to various university benefits, funding sources for research and conferences, and faculty workshops. Focus on teaching means very limited time and support for research.

Advice to Management

Provide postdoctoral fellows with more equitable opportunities to develop as scholars. Offer alternatives to lighten teaching load.

3. Nurse practitioner, student health center

Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner
    Former Employee - Nurse Practitioner

I worked at Tulane University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Students were polite. Faculty decent to work with, supportive and professional. Clinic setting had enough staff to handle the high daily volume of patients.

Cons

Salary is extremely low...insulting. No consideration is given to salary history or experience. In academia, you are stuck in a range that is decided upon by a person that undervalues the responsibility and liability of caring for patients. At Tulane, Nurse Practitioners get paid RN salaries and there is no negotiation. You are paid once a month on the last day...a definite negative. The job has absolutely no flexibility and the staff rat you out at every possible turn. The hours are long and weekend work is mandatory. However, other departments within the same clinic are not held to the same requirements. There is no support from Work Force Management. ..an entire department supposedly dedicated to employee advocacy.

Advice to Management

Be honest with your employees. Communicate. Pay your employees what they are worth. A little flexibility in a job goes a long way. Fairness is also important to keep employees content. Treat departments equally.

5. Academic Adviser

Current Employee - Academic Advisor
    Current Employee - Academic Advisor

I have been working at Tulane University (More than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoy working here and working with most of my students. The campus is beautiful and New Orleans is a great city.

Cons

There are no opportunities for advancement and no raises. It's a terrible university to commit your career to as it's been a complete dead end for mine. The university in no way rewards employees for staying. WFMO is horrible to work with in general and provides little for employees. Since this has been going on since I've worked here, I assume the president also approves of the way things are done here.

Advice to Management

So many things need to be done to improve the situation for employees, but everything goes completely ignored. It seems to me that there is a value to having long term employees, though everything is geared toward the complete opposite.

Not living up to its reputation

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in New Orleans, LA

Pros

Interesting colleagues, interesting city to live in

Cons

Low salary, low support from administration for the core instructional mission of the university

Advice to Management

Don't treat faculty like low-paid labor to be exploited

Management

Former Employee - Undisclosed in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Undisclosed in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Tulane University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Free tuition waiver for children and employees Vacation Closed between Christmas and New Years

Cons

No opportunity for employees to take relevant courses during work day. Night courses did not apply to job. Upper management does not support workers. HR only there to keep company from getting sued. No life-work balance. When someone leaves work is redistributed to remaining employees. Raises are a joke Health insurance premiums are constantly being absorbed by employee, resulting in making less each year, even with a 2-3% raise if they actually give a raise that year.

Advice to Management

If you abuse your employees, they will eventually leave.

Do your due diligence

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Tulane University full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits (currently); university setting can be pleasant and civilized

Cons

Poor pay scale with limited raises that don't keep pace with cost of living; repeatedly recurring discussions and rumors about significantly cutting the most attractive benefits; limited opportunities for growth; very limited advocacy for the "little guys"; attractive compensation for upper-most levels, not so great for the rest of us

9. They do good research and interesting work, terrible management.

I worked at Tulane University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great access to research, plenty of work to be done and people are supportive if you want to take on more tasks and assignments.

Cons

Really tense work environment. Not sure what is going on with upper management but it was stressful to be around.

10. Horrifying working environment

Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Tulane University full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff in Department of Epidemiology and School of Public Health are usually nice to me

Cons

No life/working balance if you are working there. The mentor stayed 10 h / 7d every week and ridiculously FORCED me to stay here that long, too. That is crazy! Genetic and epigenetic lab work exhausted me much but the mentor still demands more. She would like me to be a genetic statistician as well. I felt it is too intense to me and left the pot immediately.

Advice to Management

No more advice than 'never goes there!'

Less than Satisfying

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Tulane University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was good sick and vacation time, but now they're looking at revamping and offering less sick time, and limiting time in vacation bank to less time than you can carry over now. It depends on the school as to whether the work pace is fast or slow. Depending on your position the work life balance is good.

Cons

We did not get pay raises this year and it might be another couple of years before we do. It is difficult to get promoted because it seems like candidates are already handpicked, and the job posting and interview process is just a formality. Parking is very expensive or hard to find.

Advice to Management

Everyone may not have doctorates, but it does not mean we're flunkies. Many leaders at Tulane micromanage and cause their own headaches. Staff can take you places you never imagined if you would allow.

RSS Feed </> Embed