Tulane University

www.tulane.edu

Tulane University Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014
Tulane University – New Orleans – “Zach Morgan and Orleans Darkwa celebrating after…”

Tulane University President and Director Scott S. Cowen

Scott S. Cowen

Pros
  • The weather in New Orleans is enjoyable, the city is very nice, and the food is the best (in 12 reviews)

• Depending on your position the work life balance is good (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I can't really think of any at the moment, Tulane is a New Orleans institution (in 6 reviews)

• Opportunities for advancement are rare, management will nickel and dime you, cut pay while increasing work responsibilities (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Both good faculty and poor faculty.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsGood faculty are good, caring, considerate, ethical and great mentors.

ConsThe bad faculty members are REALLY bad and make life hell. All it takes are a few bad apples to really cause problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake complaints about unethical, abusive and dishonest faculty seriously.

Located in a great city

Proswork and enjoy the culture of New Orleans

Consvery few opportunities in the city

It was a very learning experience

ProsThe staff and the care for others

ConsWhile working at Tulane I never experience any bad times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the employee moral going

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Extensive resources, training and employee education but not a livable salary

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsPrestige, access to top technology, training, resources, living in New Orleans.

ConsOpportunities for advancement are rare, management will nickel and dime you, cut pay while increasing work responsibilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis university could truly thrive if there were more full time positions with excellent benefits including ADEQUATE HEALTH CARE--instead of so much reliance on cheaper part-time and contract work. Most departments are not adequately staffed and so employees must wear multiple hats. Stress is painfully high, morale is low. Turnover is egregious, which erodes the departmental culture, makes communication exceedingly challenging and creates more work for those who decide to stay. In the multiple departments I've worked in I've seen dozens of good workers but overall nobody seems to feel pride in working for Tulane. "A job is a job" is the general mantra, and loyalty has definitely eroded over the 8+ years I have been there.

Over bearing boss, lack of communication and training, not set up for success

Library Tech (Former Employee)

ProsWorked in a library, had some time to do home work, got to meet wide range of professors and students

ConsLack of training and management lead many student employees to quit... Librarian was eventually fired

game operation

Prosfast to learn, good opportunity to practice and apply for student supervisor in the future

Constired, good opportunity to practice and apply for student supervisor in the future

Fine

ProsFlexible Hours, departments are responsive to their students

ConsAdministration can be somewhat slow and ineffective

highly recommended

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsKnowledgable and interesting faculty, diverse course offerrings, great campus.

ConsDisorganized administration, high prices, lack of communication between departments.

Library Tech at Howard-Tilton Memorial Library

Library Tech (Current Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsThe benefits are good, the co-workers and patrons are friendly for the most part, tuition waivers are available, management is receptive and listens to problems,

ConsSalaries are not competitive with local or national academic libraries. There are few opportunities for career advancement. High employee turnover rate. Hours can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe departments can be a little rigid and it would be nice to see a little more cooperation between departments.

Tulane University is part of New Orleans

Director (Former Employee) New Orleans, LA

ProsLargest employer in New Orleans, Good atmosphere, most staff members are very helpful, usually given space/time to do your work how you want to do it, good benefits. There is a new sense of energy and important things happening there since hurricane Katrina.

ConsSome employees have their victims "dead bodies" lining their path to success. Tulane is so large, and a lot of administrators who have their own ideas (ego?) on what is needed. Parking is always difficult and campus floods in rain storms. Have to work a lot of hours (day, evenings, and weekends)

Advice to Senior ManagementThose who review applications in HR should have an understanding of the position and should consider looking at those who are a cookie cutter version of the job description.

Worked for Tulane University? Contribute to the Community!