Tumi Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Jerome S. Griffith

Pros
  • 370,000 as a PART-time sales associate in one year (in 3 reviews)

• Unlike most retailers there actually seems to be a work life balance (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not supportive (in 10 reviews)

• Hours are not true full time and it is the most boring job I've ever had (in 4 reviews)

1. Great atmosphere

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Ontario, CA

I worked at Tumi

Pros

Coworkers were friendly and management was great. Made working there a whole lot easier. A lot of opportunities to move up and they train you well.

Cons

Worked during Christmas season and it was real busy. It was a bit difficult to help everyone that came through the doors.

2. Associate Manager

Former Employee - Associate Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Tumi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good for retail, hours where generally flexible. I worked there through college and had a pretty positive experience. Would certainly recommend it for other students

Cons

There was a ton of drama between other managers. sometimes the manager was a pushover and would pretty much let an employee tell him what the hours were going to be for their next schedule. It was advantageous for whoever was next to him when he was making schedule

Advice to Management

upper management from the DM and up....there was a lot of bickering and turnover in these ranks. I think there should be more room for managers to pull through sales lulls in their area. Also, firing is not always the best way to handle things among your ranks. i would have never taken an upper management job for this reason.

Assistant Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Tumi full-time

Pros

The company is flexible to your personal needs, such as days off, for the most part. Most co-workers were easy to get along with. They pay fairly well for a retail position. Most of the customers are awesome to work with. CEO has a good outlook and means well.

Cons

Corporate managers strike me as having never actually worked retail, handing out unachievable directives. Their PTO system is ridiculous, use it or lose it. Also, the individual store's payroll is charged for employee vacations making impossible to earn points for month on payroll if anyone takes more than 2 days off. Forced time off. Militant time and attendance policies, including the store manager being able to fire you for clocking in 1 minute late. Micromanaging is incessant. I felt bored, stupid and useless the whole time I worked for the company, especially after they transferred me to another location....nothing was ever good enough.

Advice to Management

Be a little more selective when choosing your retail Store Managers and maybe there wouldn't be so much turnover. Don't promise full time hours when you can't make it happen.

5. A work in progress

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Tumi

Pros

Great product & Great people

Cons

Upper management is like "clique" if you have not worked for Coach in past good luck trying to get promote pass a Store Manager

Great to train you how to sell. Toxic for the long term.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Tumi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Their product and selling training was excellent. I would almost recommend working for this company for 6 months just as a way to learn how to sell and what great product training looks like. The Full Price luggage was very well made and functional as well as their briefcases which made both product categories relatively easy to sell.

Cons

Tumi has a very toxic corporate environment. There is a clique that works in the corporate offices that if they don't like you you're done. Doesn't matter what numbers you put up. Don't get on their bad side. Unrealistic sales growth expectations for a luggage brand as well. When the product is as well made as it is you don't need to replace it very often. Men; which make up the majority of the Tumi customers don't generally need multiple bags either.

Advice to Management

Structure payroll between Full Price and the Outlets based on the client/staff hour ratio. They want the same standards of selling between Outlets and Full Price but allocate Full Price twice the amount of payroll.

7. Horrible management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tumi part-time

Pros

Scheduling is done so far in advance. It's great for making plans outside of work.

Cons

Store management is awful. There's no fluidity in the management whatsoever. I've worked in some major companies that work well with new hires but there are so many complications when you begin. That aside I didn't appreciate the talking down of my daily work. Instead of actually being encouraging to the staff the managers did so much that belittled all of the associates. If you have a family emergency forget about it, you're forced to work through it because they're short staffed and don't care to what's going on in your life.

Advice to Management

Please follow up with the sales associates. There's a lack of communication between the store managers and sales associates. It's quite sad to see an ASM fight with PT sale associates over customers.

8. Great company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Tumi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You are not a number in this company. They give you strong toosl to succeed. They give you extensive training.

Cons

There is not a lot of room for advancement.

9. Associate Manager

I have been working at Tumi part-time

Pros

Tumi is a fabulous place to work. There is no commission so there is no competition amongst staff. You get to be inspired on a daily basis, meeting people from all over the world.

Cons

Small Staff but you work independently and build strong relationships with clients. Overall there are really no cons.

10. ASM

I worked at Tumi full-time

Pros

Great product, product knowledge and training. Product is carefully thought thru and it has a great warranty and great support from the company

Cons

As most retail jobs you are in the good side as long your supervisor likes you, if not then be ready to leave or they will make you leave. Sad but true.

Advice to Management

Look into your team performance not how much they try to make you like them.

Public Company Run Like A Family Business

I have been working at Tumi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand ... Decent discount ... Laid-back office culture

Cons

Very, very political ... Lots of cliques ... Limited growth potential

Advice to Management

Charge management with working to make their subordinates better. A good manager is focused on growing his/her team, finding their strengths and assisting them with tackling their weaknesses. Management should realize if their subordinates succeed, they too succeed.

RSS Feed </> Embed