Tunnell Consulting

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Conrad J. Heilman Jr.

Great Place to work

Documentation Specialist (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsI was able to work remotely for 2 years, My managers were always very fair and they really tried to hard to obtain new contracts for us.

ConsI had to be a W4 employee.

Revolving door for Principals.

Principal (Former Employee)

ProsBeing a niche consulting company, it's manageable to get up to speed on what they do. Company has a decent reputation with most clients. Work-life balance is reasonable for a consulting company.

ConsExpectations are inappropriate for newcomers, it's almost impossible to meet the sales goal during your first year, your compensation is affected as a result. Company culture is terrible, the office environment is demoralizing. Wasted my time working for this company, wish I hadn't fallen for the sales pitch during the interview process.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany desperately needs a new management team, the group in charge does not have the support and respect of the organization.

managing consultant in Tunnell

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsThe managers always tell you the positive comments as if everybody likes you.

ConsActually, it is not true. The managers play only political games. They do not value your hard work and achievement. They want only business done.

Advice to Senior Managementchange management team

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Political and high turnover. Watch your back.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIf the executive leadership thinks you can make money off of you, you're a darling.

ConsLoyalty is not valued. If you have constructive ideas for improving business, you will not be heard. The company's compensation structure flows great rewards to the Executive Committee, at the expense of those who generate the sales and the billings. In fact, the executives are passive aggressive, and put great emphasis on de-valuing the esteem of their workers while working behind the scenes to force out those who capture the sales or earn the next project add-on, in order to avoid paying them their hard-won bonuses.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real executives, not passive-aggressive scientists who have back-stabbed their way to the top

Always recommend Tunnell Consulting for Gov't Consulting

Managing Consultant (Current Employee) Washington, DC

ProsSmall business, Variety of contracts, Good working environment, HRA to make up for no vision, no dental, has ESOP

ConsNo dental, no vision but partially made up for in HRA

Very rewarding, Tunnell gives you the autonomy to get your job done

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) King of Prussia, PA

ProsCompany culture, opportunity to make $, opportunity to make an imediate impact to the bottom line, Tunnell is an ESOP.

ConsSometime long hours - but this is consulting afterall....

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep listening to the employees. You are making great progreess with regards to the company culture.

My experience has been one of growth and learning.

ProsOverall I think Tunnell is a very good place to work. We work in a field that strives to improve people's lives and that is very rewarding.

ConsBecause we are so spread out geophraphically I think there are times of feeling isolated or not part of the big picture. Things are getting better though.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think leadership is on the right path and I feel that most of our executives really are striving to make this a stronger and more stable company. There are one or two who seem to drive a wedge through the company (or at least some of the employees) but I don't think the other execs are unaware of this situation and I do think it will eventually be resolved.

Done their best to keep me satisfied after a poor contract fit, but I would prefer more proactivity.

ProsThe account manager on the contract I am assigned to is very accessible. I can discuss issues frankly and so far, I have experienced no negative consequences for just being honest.

ConsMost of us work remotely, so technology is important to remain connected. Tunnell's systems are not well integrated. I have to maintain multiple bookmarks, manage multiple usernames and passwords, and the most annoying thing is that the company prevents accessing email via mobile devices unless the device is provided by the company. I understand the need for security, but if the systems were better integrated, email wouldn't have to include sensitive attachments.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better communication about contract opportunities on the private side to government side people and vice versa. You will be losing valuable assets if you don't re-assign contractors who are working in a toxic environment into a different contract within Tunnell.

Worked for Tunnell Consulting? Contribute to the Community!