Turbine

www.turbine.com

Turbine Reviews

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Alessandro Galvagni

A fun place to work... but increasingly corporate.

Director (Former Employee) Needham, MA

ProsGeeky-cool and fun entertainment product (computer games). Bright people and lots of Lord of the Ring and Dungeons & Dragons lovers makes it a workplace like no other. Kind of a geek Nirvana. Great perks from parent company Warner Brothers.

ConsI found it to be very corporate and bureaucratic, but maybe my tolerance for that is low. Lots and lots and lots of meetings. Game producers/developers run the show - unfortunately they are not so much business people so there is an apparent lack of strategic reasoning behind decisions.

Passionate people, though the direction isn't promising.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Needham, MA

ProsGreat employees who are passionate. Flexible hours for the most part, as long as you're working during "core" hours (10am-4pm).

ConsNot too much upward movement.

Great company, evidently even better since I was there.

Marketing (Former Employee)

ProsCasual dress, dim lighting, and the ability to contribute in ways outside your job description were some of the big pros for me. This was before they were acquired by Warner Bros., and from what I've heard, things are even better now.

ConsSometimes management would ignore concerns, no more so than anywhere else I've worked, though.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't work here unless you need to stay in Boston gaming scene (which basically doesn't exist)

(Former Employee)

ProsFree Blu-rays once in a while from WB headquarters.
    Free sodas, snapple, coffee. Fruit Tuesdays and Bagel Fridays.

ConsPretty bad management who are ultimately responsible for driving their MMO businesses to the ground and a cancellation of a major project that resulted in loss of numerous jobs. Departments work in silos. Projects seldom get done because of lazy people and bureaucracy. I was so shocked to see what a mess this place was. On top of all this, the communication between WB headquarters in Burbank and Turbine are horrendous beginning with the onboarding process.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild your own in-game stores and get rid of WBnet. Learn proper international business before tackling foreign markets. Push people to accomplish good work instead of keeping the peace with everyone just for a paycheck. No work getting done eventually will mean no paycheck for anyone.

QA testing is not fun.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWhen compared to other companies in the video game industry, Turbine is one of the better ones.
    * Contracts are long
    * People are friendly

ConsA lot of what I am going to say is common in the game industry.
    * long term (more than a year or two ) jobs outside of management are not common and rounds of firings and new hires are the norm.
    * Long hours: a 50 to 60 hour week is expected just to be kept your contract.
    * Neptunium is king: gong form contract to employee requires more than just hard work.

Great talent and room for growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with, flexible schedules for many positions, and with the acquisition by WB the benefits and growth opportunities within the company increased. The culture is nice and a number of people in Senior Management make an effort to keep people informed about what's going on in the products.

ConsCommunication between departments need work, as well as the relationships. Before I left there seemed to be hostility between a lot of the leads and management for different disciplines. Changes in direction can move very slowly.

Pretty awful

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Some decent perks, especially if you're a gamer (free games, swag, etc.)
    - Most of the employees are nice
    - Cafeteria and gym in the building was convenient

Cons- Commute is awful without a car
    - Management/production was a mess (projects yanked at the last minute, deadlines changing, no communication)
    - No work/life balance
    - Felt like a corporate worker peon
    - Layoffs in the game industry are commonplace and Turbine is no exception

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better and they will be happier and more productive. Communicate as much as you can, even to the lower-on-the-food-chain employees. Hire more ambitious management that will think outside the box.

Fantastic.

UI Artist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- management was always great to talk to / work with
    - flexible
    - no drama; I was able to do my job and was given the benefit of the doubt if I needed to rework something and make up the lost time later

Cons- None. Every part of my experience was fun, professional, and rewarding. I hope to get to work with them again.

Great place to start or finish your career

ProsCasual environment
    Good people
    Decent work/life balance

ConsNot the place to grow as an artist....Art Direction on all franchises is run by legacy employees with amateur at best skill and knowledge.
    Skill and Talent are second to politicking. Seriously.
    Highly political...small handful of people in charge continue the tradition of failing upwards and rewarding mediocrity.
    Remarkable amount of unqualified people in high level positions.
    Extremely passive aggressive management.....will not tell you directly of conflicts, rather prefer to hold it against you without your knowledge.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that your purpose is to help develop successful games and recognize the handful of true talent within....stop letting your personal insecurities dictate decisions that effect the overall mission.

Turbine is a reasonably good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Needham, MA

ProsThe company takes risks which seem to pan out often enough to keep them afloat. They set aggressive goals, which tend not to pan out but I'd rather shoot for the moon than not even try. Turbine has a pretty good working environment and also has relatively nice benifits compared to other gaming companies.

ConsSuprisingly little focus on the bottom line. There is also little to no accountability for... well... anything. There is also not always a lot of focus on the greater good so getting people to do things is often a challenge as they are torn in many different directions at once. Many people are overworked. People at Turbine also REALLY seem to like telling everyone else how to do their job rather than focusing on doing there own. Though I find this pretty common with people who don't know what they are doing.. they like to divert the attention elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus less on politics and more on what's best for the company and actually making money.

Worked for Turbine? Contribute to the Community!