Turf Valley Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Mary Mangione

26 years and counting ...

Current Employee - Controller in Ellicott City, MD
    Current Employee - Controller in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at Turf Valley full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working over 26 years at Turf Valley, I have seen many employees come and go. We have a lot of "be-backers", those who leave for greener pastures and find the pastures aren't always as green as Turf Valleys. Turf Valley provides a place for your very first job, your first job out of college, part-time work while you are still in school, It is a family-owned business that provides a learning environment, a place to grow, a place to feel at home. They care about their customers and they care about their team members.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons that would warrant mentioning.

Advice to Management

Continue to engage the staff via training and employee betterment programs.

2. Banquet Server

Current Contractor - Server in Ellicott City, MD
    Current Contractor - Server in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at Turf Valley as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very clean environment, friendly personable staff decent food, but not great. immaculate grounds

Cons

Of the many contract positions i have in catering, this one is by far the worst. The contract starts our regular team members at $8.50/hr which is way under what any staff should make in banquet services. Because i hold a different position in my agency it allows me to only make $1.00 more per hour. They are short staffed overworking there own full time staff into 50+ hour a week schedules, and the same has subjection to those poor college kids on school schedules some just starting work. The Porters (some companies call them housemen) are short staffed as well, so with no extra pay incentive they are having there contracted and own staff work, managers included working porter positions too to make sure tables, chairs, and turns are done. but if the porters job function is to basically do all that heavy moving why are they so under staffed, still covering events every day and not paying there banquet staff additional for for the services not included in there job duties? The food is too processed nor is there any real structure into real plating designs. Price Vs. what you really get for your money. Baltimore Hilton, and White House catering just to name a few, have a better quality food and service, plating designs and structure. Turf Valley is built to Capitalize and make money and thats what they do on both ends. Thats why the bit by bit renovations are taking so long, but for a team member to start with prior experience at a rate of 10.50, and when I first started catering for Martins with no experience, at 10.00/hr it shows they at least know how to either hire the right people who dont care because this is just a job anyway, Or employees who have so much dedication, because they have worked there since before the issues they face now were overly apparent. A few managers who will remain Nameless have mentioned to be about being full time and my real answer is No.... You Cant Afford me.

Advice to Management

Your contracted and full time employees need to have the hourly pay rate restructured completely. The turn over rate is way too high because most employees in the last 6 months have either been fired of left for various reason including but not limited to drinking on the job, to deal with the stress that comes with working under this company.

Organized company with good management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at Turf Valley part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are good networking opportunities, it is a Family based business, Good Pay

Cons

The hours are sometimes not appealing

Wonderful!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ellicott City, MD

I have been working at Turf Valley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Turf Valley for approximately 2 years and absolutely love it. The environment is friendly, almost like family. It is a good culture and there are opportunities to advance. There are several employee activities each year which are fun. We get different perks too, discounts on room, spa, golf.

Cons

There are some challenges with upgrades to the property but a lot of improvement has been made over the past couple of years.

Advice to Management

Pete Mangione, General Manager, made it a point to know my name and speaks to me when he seems me. He takes pride in Turf Valley and you can definitely tell that he wants the employees to be happy while they work there. Otherwise, just continue to make improvements to the property.

Horrendous

Former Employee - Bus Boy in Ellicott City, MD
    Former Employee - Bus Boy in Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Turf Valley part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

High class environment, beautiful area

Cons

Managers are unbelievably stuck up and think the world revolves around them. I had a white stripe on my black shoes and was told I had to get new shoes or get fired

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves and be reasonable

Turf Valley is a great environment with a strong customer service-based employee experience.

Former Employee - Bagroom Attendant in Ellicott City, MD
    Former Employee - Bagroom Attendant in Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Turf Valley part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid pay, nice environment, nice members and guests, great golf course.

Cons

Lack of shifts, Business can be inconsistent.

Advice to Management

Hire less people, work them more shifts.

Company Structure

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Turf Valley

Pros

Company is very accomadating to personal needs. Company also makes a great effort towards providing employees with a healthy work enviroment.

Cons

Company is reluctant to promote from within. Limited advancement for entry level employment. Very reluctant towards innovation and new business practices.

Advice to Management

To increase the profitability of the company management should incorporate new ways to generate interest. A broader social media influence and improving the advertising and marketing of events held.

RSS Feed </> Embed