Turn Reviews

34 reviews filtered by
  • Redwood City, CA
3.7
Bill Demas

Learned more in one year here than anywhere

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are smart and work hard. Some of the best innovative thinking in the industry.

Cons

Struggling with being a larger company. Not all layers of management are experienced enough to go through this transition. Cowardly trolls who post anonymous garbage on this site and try and bring our reputation down with their terrible remarks that have no basis in fact.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management is to find and fire the trolls who continually tear this company down on Glassdoor. Enough is enough. It's embarrassing to know that some of my coworkers have such little respect for decency that they have to air dirty laundry on a public website. You all are cowards and if you are that unhappy please leave and dont let the door hit you on the way out. You are embarrassing us and your vitriole is being used by our competitors to sell against us (mainly mind you because since their cloud technology is inferior to ours the only way they can compete is to use the words of a troll in their sales pitch).

Yes, Turn is going through a transition. Things have not been perfect. What company is perfect? Yeah, you trolls didn't get your IPO cash out just for showing up to the office for 9 months. You now have to work hard and compete for business and not rest on your laurels. If you have strategy questions how about talking to someone. There is an employee survey and a company meeting every month where anyone can ask questions of upper management. The CEO for all of his faults has a cube in the middle of the frickin office. Its kind of hard to miss him to ask him a question as he is six foot seven. The management team is also accessible and will listen. Grow a pair and make yourself known and talk about your issues with someone. These are people who mean well who are trying their best and you can either continue to be part of the problem or try and make yourself useful and be part of the solution. Or else please leave this place. The rest of us want to win and you are bringing us down.

engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good knowledge sharing among engineers

Cons

bad work life balance, launch very fast

Advice to Management

more generous to employees, more career advancement

Never a dull moment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, amazing people, and very flexible schedules.

No micro-managing

Overall a great place to work if you are willing to put in the time.

Cons

Long hours.
    Not enough headcount in certain departments.

Advice to Management

For people who do not make a large scale salary let's not keep the same expectations of longer hours, otherwise we will never be able to retain our staff and there will be more turnover.

It's too bad things are where they are.

Former Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Work from home as needed. Work with some good people in a cool industry.

Cons

There is a massive lack of accountability that grows progressively worse as it moves up the management tree.

The executives change direction every time the wind shifts without considering many of the pieces of the business that will be negatively impacted, and then are shocked when performance decreases.

Morale became worse and more toxic with each passing month of 2014. It was discussed at every all hands call. Nothing was ever done to address the issues. This was above and beyond the normal whiners who love to complain about everything.

Advice to Management

It's time for Bill to go and for the board to bring someone in who can see the company for what it is--a broken down sports car that can still win the race if the right components and strategy are implemented.

Turn has lost its appeal

Current Employee - Account Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn

Pros

Some great coworkers who I now consider friends, smart people, good benefits. Good product that is industry leading in terms of multi-channel execution.

Cons

There is no training and coworkers are too busy to help teach and can only focus on tactical execution. Everyone is overworked and many teams are understaffed - the day to day is unnecessarily stressful. There is no strong mid-level management so there is a huge disconnect between the exec team and the employees. The CEO

Advice to Management

What is the board doing? They need to ask the CEO to step down.

Choking Out Innovation

Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineering Manager in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some leading edge technology and some great engineers
    Good lunches
    Good time off policy (as if you could ever get away)

Cons

-Executives are seriously lacking in leadership and are all over the map with their newest product or initiative. When you don't have a strategy you try to do too much and execute all very poorly. Classic "jack of all trades and master of none." Bad strategy when you are dealing with Google and Facebook.
    -Micromanaging and unfocused CEO.
    -Poor work life balance as others have mentioned A symptom of not knowing where you are going and losing focus of what we were really good at.
    -Another review mentioned "low morale and many have poor work ethics." I would add there are low morals and ethics.

Advice to Management

What ever happened to "team" in management team? I always heard there was a lot of infighting and it seemed to get worse.
    Bring in some experienced leadership, get a strategy, get on the same page.
    Board of Directors- Are you listening and are you taking any action? It starts at the top.

One of the best places to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company. Offers industry leading compensation with high salaries, great bonuses, ISO stock options and unlimited time off! Lots of opportunity to have big impact and learn cool technologies. Despite this, great work-life balance. Very talented and caring engineering management team.

Cons

Occasionally engineers need to handle production issues but over the last year, the Turn platform has scaled to new heights and is super stable. So, this doesn't arise much anymore. Moreover, separate TSE team takes care of most customer issues.

Advice to Management

Continue to inspire people to do great work and build better brand awareness.

Worst managed 'startup'

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- You get to work with some really smart people
    - The tech is actually pretty good
    - Flexible work from home policy

Cons

- The most inept senior leadership I've ever witnessed
    - Morale is so bad it's now a thing of humor internally
    - Not innovative at all
    - The strategy changes constantly
    - Senior leadership lies to themselves and says strategy doesn't change and we're competitive in the market. I wish I was at the company they're talking about.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO first of all. Get back to being lean and making decisions based on the market rather than being able to keep your jobs and Tesla. The board needs to have a come to Jesus moment with each and every one of them.

Fast growing company with great culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

Turn is THE company to work for in AdTech, literally at the center of all adtech activity globally. It's an incredible place to be to understand how different companies in the ecosystem connect and work together, whether it's ad exchanges, dmps, dsps, data providers, privacy compliance, dynamic creative vendors, or analytics vendors. If you're a top performer, there are a lot of career opportunities to grow. Great culture, really gives back to the community with volunteer days/etc.

Cons

No formal paternity leave but unlimited time off. Most regional offices can feel like satellite offices compared to the main office in Redwood City. No dogs/pets allowed at the office.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Perks and benefits are above average (ergonomic auto-lifting desk, free drinks and beers, awesome snacks, nice coffee makers, catering lunches and etc.)

We never run out of interesting projects down the pipeline. People are very easy to get along with. Respectful PM, managers, and co-workers. People are very helpful and sometimes work very crazily. Absolutely the work at Turn can help you increase breath and depth in core computer science areas. Also, I feel I have a lot of responsibility and ownership on the work, which is really a great opportunity for a guy fresh out of school. It is very easy for me to jump into the work quickly when I get to the office in the morning every day.

Cons

There are chances when the workload can get overwhelming. Growing slowly and having a lot of growing pains but we are still working as a team.

Advice to Management

Be frank to the employees about the difficulties the company is facing with. Stabilize the morale and keep people staying with the company.