Turn Reviews

Updated April 23, 2015
72 reviews filtered by
3.1
Bill Demas

Pros
  • great benefits, great product and exciting space in the industry (in 4 reviews)

• Great people, especially those who have been there for awhile (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance takes getting used to (in 3 reviews)

• Several member of our senior management team has resigned, or been fired in the last year (in 3 reviews)

Learned more in one year here than anywhere

Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are smart and work hard. Some of the best innovative thinking in the industry.

Cons

Struggling with being a larger company. Not all layers of management are experienced enough to go through this transition. Cowardly trolls who post anonymous garbage on this site and try and bring our reputation down with their terrible remarks that have no basis in fact.

Advice to Management

My advice to upper management is to find and fire the trolls who continually tear this company down on Glassdoor. Enough is enough. It's embarrassing to know that some of my coworkers have such little respect for decency that they have to air dirty laundry on a public website. You all are cowards and if you are that unhappy please leave and dont let the door hit you on the way out. You are embarrassing us and your vitriole is being used by our competitors to sell against us (mainly mind you because since their cloud technology is inferior to ours the only way they can compete is to use the words of a troll in their sales pitch).

Yes, Turn is going through a transition. Things have not been perfect. What company is perfect? Yeah, you trolls didn't get your IPO cash out just for showing up to the office for 9 months. You now have to work hard and compete for business and not rest on your laurels. If you have strategy questions how about talking to someone. There is an employee survey and a company meeting every month where anyone can ask questions of upper management. The CEO for all of his faults has a cube in the middle of the frickin office. Its kind of hard to miss him to ask him a question as he is six foot seven. The management team is also accessible and will listen. Grow a pair and make yourself known and talk about your issues with someone. These are people who mean well who are trying their best and you can either continue to be part of the problem or try and make yourself useful and be part of the solution. Or else please leave this place. The rest of us want to win and you are bringing us down.

Most unorganized company ever

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Turn

Pros

office space in nyc was the best part. they have decent benefits and training programs in place.

Cons

no leadership. hired and fired multiple sales leaders within one year.
    no visibility into sales numbers.
    i do not trust the company, i do not trust management and i would not recommend ever getting involved with their company and awful politics internally.

Advice to Management

what mgmt?

A non-HR biased review

Former Employee - Client Services - Account Management
    Former Employee - Client Services - Account Management

I worked at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1) Pay + Benefits. By marketplace averages + standards, Turn does compensate well. In addition to this, food is provided, phone bills expensed, gym subsidized, and gifts given for your anniversaries.

2) Well known in the programmatic space. This is advantageous for getting meetings and putting on your resume for your future endeavors.

3) You learn as much as you're willing to put in...fortunately for me, I had to learn to survive, and walked away better equipped for it. More on that in the "cons" section.

Cons

1) Work / Life balance.
    - If you're looking for work / life balance, then this is not the company for you. You are expected to respond to emails / calls / texts, no matter what day of the week it is. I can remember many instances where I had PTO on a Friday, but would receive a text message on a Saturday or Sunday with expectation that I'd respond to a client inquiry. Sadly, that was the norm versus the exception.
    - vacation / PTO - when I was at Turn, we accrued 2 days a month, but never had a chance to use them. Since the AMs shouldered so much, it was damn near impossible to take extended time off. So, I can imagine the unlimited PTO also having the same effect...and see above point about work / life balance. If an AM went OOO, chances are he/she would have to troubleshoot on a day off anyway, as everything relied on the AMs.
    - the cumulative result is burnout. You never get to take a real break or recharge, as you're always working

2) Expectations
    - if Turn feels that a partnership is valuable due to the name, then it will do whatever it takes to secure that partnership. This is usually how they get their foot in the door. And then, they bank on that publicity to drive additional business. And if you're assigned to that client, then it's likely that your life sucks. Going back to the work / life balance point, you are there for that client's beckoning, and expected to drop everything to assist.
    - your manager / director will expect the following in addition to the traditional AM roles: Technical Account Management, Sales Engineering, Ad Operations, Campaign Optimization, Sales Planning. In a smaller company, not all roles are completely defined, leaving the "gray" areas. Unfortunately for the AMs, they cover most of those.

3) Vision / Long Term Plans
    - when I first joined Turn, everyone was obsessed with either being acquired or IPOing. There's nothing wrong with wanting to get rich, but leadership should do a better job of outlining where they think Turn will go in the next year, 2 years, etc.
    - what does Turn want to be? While a lot of Turn's business came from the media / IO business, the focus went to becoming a SaaS company. Seeing as SaaS companies have higher market caps, you can't blame them. But, the resources and planning that went into doing this has been poorly executed. For internal use, the console was bearable / livable. But externally, it frustrated a lot of customers, and made life suck for those who had to support them (client services). You can't expect to sell your platform externally with inconsistent load times, bugs during releases, site being down, data not refreshing at the same time every day. For all the talk around being a SaaS company, the effort + resources required lagged.

Advice to Management

Who cares? They're not going to listen. As shown by the recent reviews (that HR either hasn't written up or asked employees to write in), people have been frustrated with the leadership of this company recently.

Pushing the envelop in the ad-tech industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Turn (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Turn for almost 3 years and it has been an amazing experience so far.
    I came from a fortune 100 company and I did not know what to expect but let me tell you that this has been a great choice both at the personal level and for my career.
    If you want to learn how technology is reshaping the online marketing, Turn is the company for you, we innovate on a daily basis. More then 400 projects are delivered yearly by our talented engineering team.
    Coworkers are amazingly bright and always willing to help when necessary, in my team there is a great sense of union and support.
    Marketing team has done an amazing job to make our brand stand out as one of the most recognizable in Adtech, our clients love it and we get praised for it all the time (so kudos to the marketing team).
    Our technology is second to none, we beat all the other DSPs on 1:1 face offs hands down.
    My manager is amazingly supportive for all the activities related to my day to day job and empowers me to go above and beyond my daily duties for me to stand out and contribute to strategic team decisions.
    Him being a huge believer in work life balance help me find the perfect middle ground between long days of work and impromptu time offs to relax and recharge (thanks to the unlimited vacation time - which we do not abuse)
    People are recognized for being key contributors on a monthly basis in front of all the company's employes, it is a fantastic example of how hard work should be paid back.
    Salary and benefits are very good (401K match still missing but hopefully will be enabled soon)
    After almost 3 years I stay strong and love my job.

Cons

Work can be hectic at times as clients are very demanding, but this should not scare you as this is normal in the ever changing world of ad-tech.
    Career path progression needs to be better define by HR so for all the employees to have a sense of timing and deliverable tied to their career advancement - I know this is a work in progress and will be addressed soon.
    As a market leader I feel we are giving too much attention to what the "others" are doing versus focusing on the areas that we want to innovate and lead upon - we have the potential to reshape the way marketers and brands will thrive in this almost saturated industry.

Advice to Management

Turn needs to flourish as an enterprise level company, we have the technology and we have the resources .. work for it.
    Career paths needs to be defined asap to give a sense of progression and career ownership to your employees
    Empower anyone to share their vision on the strategic decisions for the company.
    The Exec team (VPs, SVPs) should make themselves more visible to the work force via monthly meetings or other means so to re-establish a sense of leadership and guidance that at times is only visible during our company-wide marketing / sales events.

engineer

Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good knowledge sharing among engineers

Cons

bad work life balance, launch very fast

Advice to Management

more generous to employees, more career advancement

Great Company

I have been working at Turn

Pros

I felt compelled to write this review in light of recent reviews. I've been with Turn for over a year, and I can confidently say this is a great place to work. The industry is growing, the company is growing, and we have a great future ahead of us. Line-managerss take care of their employees, my peers are mostly very smart, engaged, and satisfied with their work, and we have great benefits ( pto, gym, phone, food).

The company has gone through a bit of a rough patch in the past year, but now seems to be back on track. We continue to be a leader in the ad-tech space, and have some great successes to show for it.

Cons

The challenging part about working at Turn is listening to people complain about working at Turn. We work at a great company, in a great industry, with unlimited potential for growth. Do your job, and show up ready to play every single day.

Never a dull moment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, amazing people, and very flexible schedules.

No micro-managing

Overall a great place to work if you are willing to put in the time.

Cons

Long hours.
    Not enough headcount in certain departments.

Advice to Management

For people who do not make a large scale salary let's not keep the same expectations of longer hours, otherwise we will never be able to retain our staff and there will be more turnover.

It's too bad things are where they are.

Former Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Work from home as needed. Work with some good people in a cool industry.

Cons

There is a massive lack of accountability that grows progressively worse as it moves up the management tree.

The executives change direction every time the wind shifts without considering many of the pieces of the business that will be negatively impacted, and then are shocked when performance decreases.

Morale became worse and more toxic with each passing month of 2014. It was discussed at every all hands call. Nothing was ever done to address the issues. This was above and beyond the normal whiners who love to complain about everything.

Advice to Management

It's time for Bill to go and for the board to bring someone in who can see the company for what it is--a broken down sports car that can still win the race if the right components and strategy are implemented.

Turn has been a great experience

I have been working at Turn full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of benefits to working at this company:

Aside from medical insurance and the traditional things provided by employers, Turn has free catered lunch everyday, PLUS a fully stocked fridge with incredible foods and snacks available at your convenience. In SF, we have beers and ping pong and office vibe is social. If you want to eat alone at your desk, you can do that. If you want to eat with your coworkers, you can also do that in the conference room - and it's quite nice.

We have unlimited vacation days - which some people ask - what does that really mean?!
    It means no one is counting, so if you want to take a week off, as long as it works with your manager and your team, GO FOR IT! And not only that, but when you get back from vacation, you don't have to feel guilty about the fact that now you have a sad, 7-10 days left, which someone in HR is counting and will hold you to.

You can work from home if you need to. People do it, people don't abuse it. If you need to work from home one day, no one is going to look at you like you are worthless the next day, because a lot of us have done it every now and then.

We have company meeting once a month - which if you are in Redwood City or San Francisco you can attend in person. It is fun, informative, and again - food and beverages are aplenty.

The company policy is transparency, and people can ask just about anything at company meeting. Now, whether the response is incredibly helpful or not is a toss up, but still at least you can see what's on people's mind and see how the management reacts to it.

In addition, we get to expense gym, cellphones, transport and much more to a certain extent. Bike repair? you name it. To the people who are complaining below - I have no words! We really do get a lot, and I am grateful.

Cons

Now, the only perk we do not get is 401 K match. If that's your thing, we don't have it, and it doesn't seem like we are going to have it anytime soon.

Management at this company is an issue. I can't figure out if it is because people are spreading themselves thin, because they don't want to do something beyond what they are expected to, or because they are lazy. It just seems like the managers actually have no idea how to manage, and the VPs are not leading as you would expect VPs to lead.

Internal communication is an issue. There is a lot to know about how Turn works, and either we begin to work together and help each other, or information will get lost and facets of the company will suffer.

Morale at the company is not great at the moment, I hope that changes.

Advice to Management

Do more.

Turn has lost its appeal

Current Employee - Account Manager in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn

Pros

Some great coworkers who I now consider friends, smart people, good benefits. Good product that is industry leading in terms of multi-channel execution.

Cons

There is no training and coworkers are too busy to help teach and can only focus on tactical execution. Everyone is overworked and many teams are understaffed - the day to day is unnecessarily stressful. There is no strong mid-level management so there is a huge disconnect between the exec team and the employees. The CEO

Advice to Management

What is the board doing? They need to ask the CEO to step down.