Turn

Updated November 28, 2014
Updated November 28, 2014
3.7

Bill Demas

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great perks and great potential growth

Cons

none that I can think of

Get rid of the Eat Club food

Software Engineer

I have been working at Turn full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Perks and benefits are above average (ergonomic auto-lifting desk, free drinks and beers, awesome snacks, nice coffee makers, catering lunches and etc.)

We never run out of interesting projects down the pipeline. People are very easy to get along with. Respectful PM, managers, and co-workers. People are very helpful and sometimes work very crazily. Absolutely the work at Turn can help you increase breath and depth in core computer science areas. Also, I feel I have a lot of responsibility and ownership on the work, which is really a great opportunity for a guy fresh out of school. It is very easy for me to jump into the work quickly when I get to the office in the morning every day.

Cons

There are chances when the workload can get overwhelming. Growing slowly and having a lot of growing pains but we are still working as a team.

Be frank to the employees about the difficulties the company is facing with. Stabilize the morale and keep people staying with the company.

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

- Great perks
    - Benefits are better than average
    - Learning/career opportunities are excellent
    - People are friendly and easy to work with
    - Culture is fun and lively

Cons

-Company is going through a rough patch, but is on the right track
    - Work/Life balance takes getting used to

Finally people are telling the truth....

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

- Online advertising continues to grow tremendously. Because of that and the fact that Turn was early in the audience targeting and RTB space, it's almost impossible it will fold.
    - Schedule flexibility
    - Decent free lunches
    - Some good friends have been made

Cons

- These reviewers are absolutely right. HR asks everyone to post positive reviews. It's ridiculous.
    - Turn has let many other companies outshine them not only in campaign performance but in service because they have gotten completely unfocused.

Get rid of the rest of the old SVP's regime, cut the dead weight and get Turn back to being an industry leader who people actually like to work with and work for. Although, it might be too late...

A company in transition... lessons better than Biz School!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've only been at the company for a few months, but the company takes incredibly good care of its employees. On the lighter side, it offers free lunch everyday, great benefits, a flexible work environment, casual culture, and a sweet ping pong table. On the professional side, there are a lot of very bright people within the company and you will get into intelligent conversations on a daily basis and learn a lot. You'll jump right in to your work and be managing your own projects immediately.

The core technology and revenues of the company are close to, if not, market-leading. Turn is one of the few positioned within the crowded ad-tech space to IPO at a multi-billion dollar valuation.

As you can read in other reviews, the company is undergoing a difficult time in figuring out how to get to that next level. Historically, the company, like any DSP has been driven by agency I/O dollars, and the team is trying to grow beyond just that revenue stream to something larger. This has caused for some level of internal dissent as the company plays out its next bet and figures out its path forward.

A number of people have jumped ship as the company transitions, which, to each their own. However, and here's my soap box moment, realistically, this is a large business in the fast-growing and dynamic space of digital media. If you're a current employee considering a change seas to find the wind easily blowing at your back, go for it. But invariably, recognize that all businesses must go through periods of struggle and successes on their way to being a strong, defensible business for years to come. Soon to, the new company you join will very likely face difficulties and you'll be back again, trying to get ahead of the wind, and will never have built the spine to stare down when the wind is in blowing in your face. I've been at companies that have rebounded from near death to acquisition, companies that have gone bankrupt, and companies that have went up to the right -- we are not in a bad position.

Joining Turn today means part of being a struggle to help a $1 billion dollar business to become a $5 billion dollar business. If you are considering other companies in the space, recognize that being at a point-player cross-device company with 5 engineers isn't changing digital media nor going public. A point player DSP with lower pricing may grow fast, but do you want to bet it's ever going anywhere beyond that? DSPs are quickly becoming commoditized and they too will feel margin squeeze soon. Ad-tech is finally consolidating and Turn is one of a few companies with a chance to become the next great company within the space -- you can be a part of it.

Cons

During these rocky times, morale is a bit lower than normal as the company goes through an abnormal rate of churn relative to historical levels. Getting things done internally is excessively political and the company needs to be able to move faster on things and be more responsive to the market, when those things align with the future bet of the company. The strategy of the company is clear, but the roadmap there is quite fuzzy.

Decrease the level of politics and empower more people to make decisions day to day so that things can get done. Give people more meaning within their roles as to how personally they can help re-define the future of the company from just some DSP to something much greater. We don't need more ping-pong, beer, free happy-hours... embrace the current volatility and give us each a purpose!!!

Story still unfolding

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, strong leadership team, and a vision to take on the world. When I joined several years ago I did so for these exact reasons. None of these facts have changed to date. What has changed is that Turn has grown tremendously, through thick and thin, despite the occasional naysayer who didn't believe, and is still here today proving that if you fight the good fight, you will prevail.

For those considering joining, the reality is there's no shortage of interesting projects to work on and you will get exposure to the latest technologies. It is part of the culture roots of Turn. The growth opportunities have been and, I believe, will continue to be great.

Cons

As with any company trying to grow quickly, it inevitably burns a few people in the process. It's the nature of startups and ad tech in particular due to the pace of the industry. Former employees who didn't have tolerance for it left their mark with a negative vibe which, unfortunately, had a cascading effect. Turn does have it's problems but they are minor, on a relative scale, and fixable and it's pretty clear steps are being taken to address them.

Focus on culture and don't simply push it to HR or the employees. While Turn's constituent parts makes it's culture, the leadership team takes no small part in defining it. Engage your staff. Now that Turn is emerging from startup-hood, this is more important than ever. It's what binds us together. It's what makes people want to be the driving force behind the company.

A Typical Business Case of How to Ruin a Company in a Few Months

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Turn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salaries, good benefits, flexible working hours. A lot of smart dedicated people, especially within the low ranks.

Cons

This review is written with a good dose of objectivity. Note that one week after I joined the company, I have been asked to leave a positive review by HR. I refused to do so because it is unethical. Warning to folks reading the reviews, you can tell that many of the positive reviews are either written by HR or by new employees fresh out of onboarding week.
    I initially joined Turn because of the great image, caliber of people and amazing culture that they had. Unfortunately, the company is going through a very difficult phase which will result in its demise. I am certain that Turn will no longer be a major player in the industry for the following reasons:
    - There is simply no strategy. The upper management with the exception of a couple of folks has no idea how to read the market trends, listen to the employees, listen to customers and then build a roadmap.
    - Misalignment and backstabbing within the senior management team. This is literally a soap opera situation! I have never thought that in my lifetime I would witness such backstabbing, hatred and politics within a small organization. The level of obnoxious behavior within leaders makes Washington politics look so docile.
    - Operations and execution: Back in business school days, they taught us that the most difficult phase in a startup life is scaling it from 100 employees to 300. This is where Turn has failed. The management has no concept of operational excellence.
    - Innovation: How can you survive in ad tech without innovation. The level of throughput by product dev is dismal. Many other reviewers are right in stating that leaders within Product and Engineering are quite poor and no one is holding them accountable for their results.
    - Ethics: This is a big one. Ad Tech is a very fluid environment and crap happens everywhere. But at Turn it is at a different level. There are specific cases where I believe that the company mislead its customers and its employees. Sooner or later there will be a backlash and when customers will know that they can take their business elsewhere they won't hesitate to do it.
    - Reading the ecosystem: the company is reactive and it keeps changing its strategy from one month to the other. Read the industry news about Turn and you will notice how they announce something different each month.
    - Bottoms-up feedback: This is not a very communicative organization. Many of Turn's competitors offer a much more transparent and communication channels with the CEO or the upper management. Turn acts as if these channels are in place but actually they don't know how to operationalize them. For instance, one of the Turn rep responded to a reviewer by saying you can email the CEO directly. Sure! in an ideal environment. But when you know that the CEO will fire you or that your manager will make your life hard because you provided an honest feedback then no one will email that CEO!! There is not genuine policy to make all levels of the org participate in the decision-making.
    - Obsession with the IPO or being bought. Many companies in Ad Tech look for the IPO as a key to they success and fruition of the years of work they've done. At Turn it is simply the CEO and Manager's obsession. This only shows the lack of leadership and the spirit of a group of pseudo-managers that are just in it for the short term.

I am not sure if Management will listen or needs any advice. I may ask them to stop backstabbing each others. Stop focusing on short term goals. Stop looking for an exit strategy. Pay attention to people and their well-being. Do not hesitate to fire a..hole. I doubt that they will do it because they simply do not have the capacity to look beyond their differences for the well-being of the organization.

Good Enough Place

I worked at Turn

Pros

- Friendly, intelligent people
    - Nice office spaces, catered lunch and snacks

Cons

- having tough transition to medium sized company

Turn was a great place to work for a long time, but then became too corporate and confused. Towards the end I got the sense that all the optimism around an IPO/exit was internal propaganda, and that the company was kind of stuck in purgatory. That said it was fun while it lasted.

Could be better

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

Working environment is very relaxed. There is not too much politics among employees (non management). Employees often organize fun activities / events

Cons

Salary is not matching the market. There has been some low morale due to senior engineers leaving. Management has not give a clear direction where Turn is going.

Give a clear direction where Turn is going. Match market compensation level. Address morale issues. Hire more senior engineers instead of new fresh grads.

Excellent place to start your career

I have been working at Turn full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Managers and senior engineers are helpful. People around are interesting and willing to teach you everything they know. Unlike other startups, Turn gives you sufficient time to catch up.

Cons

Not anything that I don't like so far. I wish we could have larger work space.