Turn Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
67 reviews filtered by
3.2
Bill Demas

Pros
  • great benefits, great product and exciting space in the industry (in 4 reviews)

• Great people, especially those who have been there for awhile (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance takes getting used to (in 3 reviews)

• Several member of our senior management team has resigned, or been fired in the last year (in 3 reviews)

Pushing the envelop in the ad-tech industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Turn (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with Turn for almost 3 years and it has been an amazing experience so far.
    I came from a fortune 100 company and I did not know what to expect but let me tell you that this has been a great choice both at the personal level and for my career.
    If you want to learn how technology is reshaping the online marketing, Turn is the company for you, we innovate on a daily basis. More then 400 projects are delivered yearly by our talented engineering team.
    Coworkers are amazingly bright and always willing to help when necessary, in my team there is a great sense of union and support.
    Marketing team has done an amazing job to make our brand stand out as one of the most recognizable in Adtech, our clients love it and we get praised for it all the time (so kudos to the marketing team).
    Our technology is second to none, we beat all the other DSPs on 1:1 face offs hands down.
    My manager is amazingly supportive for all the activities related to my day to day job and empowers me to go above and beyond my daily duties for me to stand out and contribute to strategic team decisions.
    Him being a huge believer in work life balance help me find the perfect middle ground between long days of work and impromptu time offs to relax and recharge (thanks to the unlimited vacation time - which we do not abuse)
    People are recognized for being key contributors on a monthly basis in front of all the company's employes, it is a fantastic example of how hard work should be paid back.
    Salary and benefits are very good (401K match still missing but hopefully will be enabled soon)
    After almost 3 years I stay strong and love my job.

Cons

Work can be hectic at times as clients are very demanding, but this should not scare you as this is normal in the ever changing world of ad-tech.
    Career path progression needs to be better define by HR so for all the employees to have a sense of timing and deliverable tied to their career advancement - I know this is a work in progress and will be addressed soon.
    As a market leader I feel we are giving too much attention to what the "others" are doing versus focusing on the areas that we want to innovate and lead upon - we have the potential to reshape the way marketers and brands will thrive in this almost saturated industry.

Turn needs to flourish as an enterprise level company, we have the technology and we have the resources .. work for it.
    Career paths needs to be defined asap to give a sense of progression and career ownership to your employees
    Empower anyone to share their vision on the strategic decisions for the company.
    The Exec team (VPs, SVPs) should make themselves more visible to the work force via monthly meetings or other means so to re-establish a sense of leadership and guidance that at times is only visible during our company-wide marketing / sales events.

One of the best places to work for!

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company. Offers industry leading compensation with high salaries, great bonuses, ISO stock options and unlimited time off! Lots of opportunity to have big impact and learn cool technologies. Despite this, great work-life balance. Very talented and caring engineering management team.

Cons

Occasionally engineers need to handle production issues but over the last year, the Turn platform has scaled to new heights and is super stable. So, this doesn't arise much anymore. Moreover, separate TSE team takes care of most customer issues.

Continue to inspire people to do great work and build better brand awareness.

Fast growing company with great culture

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

Turn is THE company to work for in AdTech, literally at the center of all adtech activity globally. It's an incredible place to be to understand how different companies in the ecosystem connect and work together, whether it's ad exchanges, dmps, dsps, data providers, privacy compliance, dynamic creative vendors, or analytics vendors. If you're a top performer, there are a lot of career opportunities to grow. Great culture, really gives back to the community with volunteer days/etc.

Cons

No formal paternity leave but unlimited time off. Most regional offices can feel like satellite offices compared to the main office in Redwood City. No dogs/pets allowed at the office.

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Perks and benefits are above average (ergonomic auto-lifting desk, free drinks and beers, awesome snacks, nice coffee makers, catering lunches and etc.)

We never run out of interesting projects down the pipeline. People are very easy to get along with. Respectful PM, managers, and co-workers. People are very helpful and sometimes work very crazily. Absolutely the work at Turn can help you increase breath and depth in core computer science areas. Also, I feel I have a lot of responsibility and ownership on the work, which is really a great opportunity for a guy fresh out of school. It is very easy for me to jump into the work quickly when I get to the office in the morning every day.

Cons

There are chances when the workload can get overwhelming. Growing slowly and having a lot of growing pains but we are still working as a team.

Be frank to the employees about the difficulties the company is facing with. Stabilize the morale and keep people staying with the company.

Awesome company to work for

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great perks and great potential growth

Cons

none that I can think of

Get rid of the Eat Club food

Story still unfolding

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, strong leadership team, and a vision to take on the world. When I joined several years ago I did so for these exact reasons. None of these facts have changed to date. What has changed is that Turn has grown tremendously, through thick and thin, despite the occasional naysayer who didn't believe, and is still here today proving that if you fight the good fight, you will prevail.

For those considering joining, the reality is there's no shortage of interesting projects to work on and you will get exposure to the latest technologies. It is part of the culture roots of Turn. The growth opportunities have been and, I believe, will continue to be great.

Cons

As with any company trying to grow quickly, it inevitably burns a few people in the process. It's the nature of startups and ad tech in particular due to the pace of the industry. Former employees who didn't have tolerance for it left their mark with a negative vibe which, unfortunately, had a cascading effect. Turn does have it's problems but they are minor, on a relative scale, and fixable and it's pretty clear steps are being taken to address them.

Focus on culture and don't simply push it to HR or the employees. While Turn's constituent parts makes it's culture, the leadership team takes no small part in defining it. Engage your staff. Now that Turn is emerging from startup-hood, this is more important than ever. It's what binds us together. It's what makes people want to be the driving force behind the company.

Excellent place to start your career

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Managers and senior engineers are helpful. People around are interesting and willing to teach you everything they know. Unlike other startups, Turn gives you sufficient time to catch up.

Cons

Not anything that I don't like so far. I wish we could have larger work space.

Excellent Place to work

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

I worked here over two months and find it a place to work. The people here are talented, friendly and like to share with you. The manager cares about you personal growth. The benefit here is great, better than most of companies I know. There are many actives to make you enjoy the life. Work-life balance is great.

Cons

I haven't find something that make me feel uncomfortable.

Such a great workplace!

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Turn for over a year and half and I love it! There are some amazing people that work here and everyone works together as a team. They have great benefits, we get free lunches and unlimited snacks and drinks! It's very laid back work environment and everyone gets their work done!

Cons

The downside is that there are times when the workload can get a overwhelming but overall we work together and help each other if the work gets too stressful. We only want each other to succeed. Although hiring has slowed down, we are all working together to make this company successful!

Encourage your team to be great and congratulate your team members if you see them doing a great job!

great company

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great benefits, great product and exciting space in the industry

Cons

fast paced and can be difficult to keep up with

Turn Response

Jul 28, 2014Communications Manager

Turn strives to provide employees with excellent benefits. In addition to strong insurance benefits, Turn also offers a variety of other employee benefits such as commuter benefits for public ... More