Turn

3.5

Bill Demas

Good Experience

I worked at Turn

Pros

The founding engineering team was strong and great teammates. It's gotten much bigger now however.

Cons

The company has gotten much bigger and a lot of restructurings.

One Stressful Roller Coaster!

I worked at Turn full-time

Pros

I worked at Turn for many years. When I first joined the company, the company was promising, there was lots of positive energy and growing rapidly. That story has quickly changed.

Pros: I got to work with some smart people and learned a lot. Company provides free lunches, snacks, free parking, and additional perks (which you may never really have to the time to use, keep reading).

Cons

Cons: I have never experienced a nervous breakdown until I worked here. The idea of work/life balance doesn't exist here. A normal day would be something like 8/9am - 8pm (and sometimes beyond), and because lunch is served daily (except Fridays), you'll never see the light of day or see your family and friends.

There are some smart people that work there who are energetic and pleasant, but there are others (many of them) who think they are smarter than you and who will not be afraid to voice that. Who wants to work in a place where you’re talked down to? Management is not all that great. Some people in management think they have the best and brightest ideas, when in fact they don’t.

Turn claims to be an agile giant. Well, guess what? You can't be agile when management introduces, so much process that the feeling of a smart, agile and fun company goes away.

I had many many sleepless nights, worked long days and sometimes weekends, and at the end, no one appreciates it because that is “what is expected” and nothing less.

Turn was/is “growing” and it hired a bunch of new people. When new people came, the older (and in my opinion) more experienced people left because they all saw an awful trend unfolding. The “new” people only came to shake things up, but also have been leaving.

If you don’t want a life, if you want to be looked down upon, and if you want to live under a constant cloud of stress, this is the place for you.

HERE’S MY ADVICE: Life is not all about work. You should work to live, but at Turn, you live to work. It’s that simple ;)

Life is not all about work and don’t treat your employees like they are any less if they actually have somewhat of a personal life outside of work.

No longer a startup, adrift without vision

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Turn

Pros

Benefits are comparable to the market, nothing outstanding. Central London location makes the commute easy.

Cons

No entrenched go-getter attitude - problems get reassigned to someone else to deal with. Focusing all engineering effort into California means no effective way to address or even prioritise EMEA-specific issues in a timely fashion.

no leadership or strategy or culture

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some nice employees, decent lunch and dinner. Not much else.

Cons

Executive leadership doesn't exist. Strategic vision lacking, inability to execute, new focus every quarter. Low morale and many have poor work ethics.

Fire yourselves, seriously, what have you done?

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Perks and benefits are above average (ergonomic auto-lifting desk, free drinks and beers, awesome snacks, nice coffee makers, catering lunches and etc.)

We never run out of interesting projects down the pipeline. People are very easy to get along with. Respectful PM, managers, and co-workers. People are very helpful and sometimes work very crazily. Absolutely the work at Turn can help you increase breath and depth in core computer science areas. Also, I feel I have a lot of responsibility and ownership on the work, which is really a great opportunity for a guy fresh out of school. It is very easy for me to jump into the work quickly when I get to the office in the morning every day.

Cons

There are chances when the workload can get overwhelming. Growing slowly and having a lot of growing pains but we are still working as a team.

Be frank to the employees about the difficulties the company is facing with. Stabilize the morale and keep people staying with the company.

Awesome place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

- Great perks
    - Benefits are better than average
    - Learning/career opportunities are excellent
    - People are friendly and easy to work with
    - Culture is fun and lively

Cons

-Company is going through a rough patch, but is on the right track
    - Work/Life balance takes getting used to

Awesome company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great perks and great potential growth

Cons

none that I can think of

Get rid of the Eat Club food

Finally people are telling the truth....

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Turn full-time

Pros

- Online advertising continues to grow tremendously. Because of that and the fact that Turn was early in the audience targeting and RTB space, it's almost impossible it will fold.
    - Schedule flexibility
    - Decent free lunches
    - Some good friends have been made

Cons

- These reviewers are absolutely right. HR asks everyone to post positive reviews. It's ridiculous.
    - Turn has let many other companies outshine them not only in campaign performance but in service because they have gotten completely unfocused.

Get rid of the rest of the old SVP's regime, cut the dead weight and get Turn back to being an industry leader who people actually like to work with and work for. Although, it might be too late...

A Typical Business Case of How to Ruin a Company in a Few Months

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Turn full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salaries, good benefits, flexible working hours. A lot of smart dedicated people, especially within the low ranks.

Cons

This review is written with a good dose of objectivity. Note that one week after I joined the company, I have been asked to leave a positive review by HR. I refused to do so because it is unethical. Warning to folks reading the reviews, you can tell that many of the positive reviews are either written by HR or by new employees fresh out of onboarding week.
    I initially joined Turn because of the great image, caliber of people and amazing culture that they had. Unfortunately, the company is going through a very difficult phase which will result in its demise. I am certain that Turn will no longer be a major player in the industry for the following reasons:
    - There is simply no strategy. The upper management with the exception of a couple of folks has no idea how to read the market trends, listen to the employees, listen to customers and then build a roadmap.
    - Misalignment and backstabbing within the senior management team. This is literally a soap opera situation! I have never thought that in my lifetime I would witness such backstabbing, hatred and politics within a small organization. The level of obnoxious behavior within leaders makes Washington politics look so docile.
    - Operations and execution: Back in business school days, they taught us that the most difficult phase in a startup life is scaling it from 100 employees to 300. This is where Turn has failed. The management has no concept of operational excellence.
    - Innovation: How can you survive in ad tech without innovation. The level of throughput by product dev is dismal. Many other reviewers are right in stating that leaders within Product and Engineering are quite poor and no one is holding them accountable for their results.
    - Ethics: This is a big one. Ad Tech is a very fluid environment and crap happens everywhere. But at Turn it is at a different level. There are specific cases where I believe that the company mislead its customers and its employees. Sooner or later there will be a backlash and when customers will know that they can take their business elsewhere they won't hesitate to do it.
    - Reading the ecosystem: the company is reactive and it keeps changing its strategy from one month to the other. Read the industry news about Turn and you will notice how they announce something different each month.
    - Bottoms-up feedback: This is not a very communicative organization. Many of Turn's competitors offer a much more transparent and communication channels with the CEO or the upper management. Turn acts as if these channels are in place but actually they don't know how to operationalize them. For instance, one of the Turn rep responded to a reviewer by saying you can email the CEO directly. Sure! in an ideal environment. But when you know that the CEO will fire you or that your manager will make your life hard because you provided an honest feedback then no one will email that CEO!! There is not genuine policy to make all levels of the org participate in the decision-making.
    - Obsession with the IPO or being bought. Many companies in Ad Tech look for the IPO as a key to they success and fruition of the years of work they've done. At Turn it is simply the CEO and Manager's obsession. This only shows the lack of leadership and the spirit of a group of pseudo-managers that are just in it for the short term.

I am not sure if Management will listen or needs any advice. I may ask them to stop backstabbing each others. Stop focusing on short term goals. Stop looking for an exit strategy. Pay attention to people and their well-being. Do not hesitate to fire a..hole. I doubt that they will do it because they simply do not have the capacity to look beyond their differences for the well-being of the organization.

Story still unfolding

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Turn full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart people, strong leadership team, and a vision to take on the world. When I joined several years ago I did so for these exact reasons. None of these facts have changed to date. What has changed is that Turn has grown tremendously, through thick and thin, despite the occasional naysayer who didn't believe, and is still here today proving that if you fight the good fight, you will prevail.

For those considering joining, the reality is there's no shortage of interesting projects to work on and you will get exposure to the latest technologies. It is part of the culture roots of Turn. The growth opportunities have been and, I believe, will continue to be great.

Cons

As with any company trying to grow quickly, it inevitably burns a few people in the process. It's the nature of startups and ad tech in particular due to the pace of the industry. Former employees who didn't have tolerance for it left their mark with a negative vibe which, unfortunately, had a cascading effect. Turn does have it's problems but they are minor, on a relative scale, and fixable and it's pretty clear steps are being taken to address them.

Focus on culture and don't simply push it to HR or the employees. While Turn's constituent parts makes it's culture, the leadership team takes no small part in defining it. Engage your staff. Now that Turn is emerging from startup-hood, this is more important than ever. It's what binds us together. It's what makes people want to be the driving force behind the company.