TurnHere

TurnHere Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Justin McCarthy

Good while business was growing, but growth slowed and everything stagnated

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at TurnHere full-time for more than a year

ProsNice location in the city, great work/life balance

ConsTop-down management, stagnant culture, little reward for great work

Turnhere Review

Contract Videographer (Former Employee)

I worked at TurnHere as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsHas some gigs during economic downturn

ConsMostly arrogant, unpleasant staff to work with

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better supervision of contact staff they tend to turn into creepy Napoleons

Very good working atmosphere!

Emeryville, CA

I worked at TurnHere

ProsFriendly people, respectfull to each other, opportunitites to grow professionaly and etc.

ConsIt would be thebest place to work if salaries will become little higher

It was a good learning experience

Intern (Former Employee)
Emeryville, CA

I worked at TurnHere

ProsTurn Here has a very laid back work environment and cool employees. The online adworld that they work in is interesting and dynamic, and it's a great way to learn about new media and it's relationship to sales, advertising, and the Internet

ConsFull time jobs are hard to lock down, and the sales team was recently let go. I worked as an intern and was unpaid, and there didn't look to be any possibilities of locking down a full time job.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a better idea of who you want to market your product to - is it small businesses or big ones?

A nice place with great co-workers

I worked at TurnHere full-time

ProsA nice place with great co-workers.

ConsStartup mode can be challenging.

Great company to work for to grow professionally and to earn extra money.

Freelance Filmmaker (Current Employee)

I have been working at TurnHere

ProsI shot and edited over 150 1-minute small business profiles for TurnHere in the New York City area in 2011. I found the work interesting, challenging, and fun. The support staff at TurnHere were always professional, polite, and a pleasure to work with. I have also noticed a significant improvement in the preparation of clients and the pre-shoot management of their expectations since I started working there. The amount of actual work necessary to complete a project (material to upload, etc.) has also decreased significantly. They do, however, now require filmmakers to complete any edit changes requested by clients. In my experience, however, these requests were few and far between and, when they occurred, were simple and usually took less than 15 minutes to complete.

ConsI think $200 per small business profile is not quite enough, particularly if one lives in an expensive urban area like New York City. Just the cost of getting to a shoot is considerable, compared to other areas of the country.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more? That's easy for me to say, but I have no idea what the market constraints are.

If they paid in a timely manner......

Freelancer (Former Employee)

I worked at TurnHere

ProsThey did offer me about five jobs right off the bat, one with decent pay, the others were just ok. I was looking to build a freelance relationship as to why I took the lower paying work but if I am not going to even get paid for the initial work I do then you do the math on how many more jobs I'd be willing to take.

ConsThey take about three months to pay you for any freelance work. Actually I have been waiting on payment for three months, emailed my contact a few times asking when to expect it and just today received an email from their accounting people stating payment will be mailed soon. Three weeks after my last email. They sure wanted the work I was hired for immediately and here I still sit out my time for work and the money for the jobs expenses.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your freelancers and communicate the terms better with them! Waiting to respond three weeks at a time is unacceptable.

SIMPLY TOO MUCH WORK AND TOO MANY CHANGES FOR THE SMALL FEES

Video Creative (Current Employee)

I have been working at TurnHere

ProsGood concept but rude and unprofessional support staff makes completing projects a nightmare.

ConsFrequent turnover of pre- and post production staff and management makes it hard to form professional relationships.
Some staff just like to criticize and bully the shooters and creatives.
The fees for a shoot especially with the frequent change requests becomes slave wages.
Lots of layoffs somehow left the most unpleasant types to work with in control.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupervise your post production managers ans teach them how to treat creatives professionally.
Have some quality control in the departments that liaise with clients and creatives.
Pay creatives for changes requested by clients after a shoot is edited and sent in.
Do not allow post production to cut creatives pay without upper level approval.
You have people working there that treat the creatives like dirt.

Worked for TurnHere? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at TurnHere reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for TurnHere CEO Justin McCarthy . All 8 reviews posted anonymously by TurnHere employees.