Turner Broadcasting Reviews

1. Human Resources

Former Employee - Human Resources in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Was very employee-friendly company at the time (pre-2014 layoffs), and being a part of the entertainment industry (albeit indirectly) made it a very exciting and rewarding place to work from a business perspective. It was easy to be proud of what the company produced. There did appear to be a lot of "fat" in the organization at the time, but again, I was there before the layoffs in 2014. Company-wide, work-life balance appeared to be better than most companies.

Cons

It's a big place and easy to get lost. There are probably more organizational politics than a lot of places, so who you know was often just as important (or more, in some cases) than the quality of your work.

Advice to Management

Put better metrics in place to measure people's performance. Work on increasing synergy between news and entertainment, particularly in back office and support functions.

2. Amazing Company In The Midst of Change

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

After working at another network, I now see what the great benefits and environment that exists at Turner.
    - There are so many great professional development and leadership opportunities within the company that extend beyond titles
    - It's a great company to work for if you have a family and there's so much flexibility with schedules such as working from home and the ability to work and be there for your children, a sick parent, etc.
    - Genuine family atmosphere
    - Every group/ department is extremely organized and driven my
    - Transparency with business goals and company goals
    - Fair employee performance system
    - Great opportunities to work on high profile projects
    - Overall great company culture

Cons

- was cliquey at times
    - zero work-life balance
    - employees had to operate at a higher level than their pay grades
    - with the layoffs things have gotten extremely political and competitive
    - Turner salaries tend to be lower than other networks and entertainment companies

Advice to Management

-Continue to listen to employees and don't ruin the amazing company culture that exists.

3. It was great working in Network Operations because technology continued to grow which kept the job interesting.

Former Employee - Senior Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The job allowed you to test your ability to grow and advance your skill set. As technology increased so did your ability to adapt and increase your knowledge of new systems.

Cons

Cross departmental training could have been more fulfilling if the initiative were continued. There were many times people expressed the desire to move in other directions.

Advice to Management

Management was straight forward and honest. The only advice I could give is to make sure everyone had the opportunity to learn new equipment in a hands on environment. When that happens, the next step up will be to the person who not only wants the job but can do the job as well as the one he follows.

5. operations

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great benefits, creative people, training opportunities, work/life balance

Cons

too much red tape, communication between departments lacking

6. Perfect 1st internship

Former Intern - Corporate Responsibility in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Corporate Responsibility in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

An amazing experience. I feel like my position unlike others really expanded throughout the company. I was able to see all aspects of Turner and they even gave me the opportunity to venture over to Turner Studios every once in a while to check out what they were doing over there.

Cons

I had little to no communication with my advisors post internship. Might have been on be though. Make sure you keep up them later on.

Be Careful

Current Employee - Tour Guide in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Tour Guide in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Potential room for professional growth and development

Cons

Not a friendly environment
    Expected to gain more experience out of the company before moving up
    Low Salaries

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with potential employees about how difficult it truly is to move forward with the company

Challenging work experience with good perks.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time

Pros

Working at Turner will heighten your skill levels in the media and digital industries. Simply put, you will be challenged and learn on-the-job while working on great products for our internal business and external customers. Turner loves self starters, where talented people will excel if they prove they know their stuff and get work done efficiently. Team culture is absolutely great in some areas, where collaboration and 2-way feedback is welcomed for continuous improvement. Turner 2020 and perks cuts are unfortunate, but transformation & change may push the company back to focusing on what's important for internal culture and external business wins, given some time. Personally, Turner has been the highlight of my career. I have had both my best job ever and worst job ever at Turner. I enjoyed coming to work every single day during my 'best job' timeframe. I remember leaving at the end of each day feeling like I had conquered the world with my own hands. Also, you will learn a lot from your peers as people from many different walks of life are working at Turner. If you find a good team to work for with skilled peers, you will enjoy your work experience.

Benefits have been cut, but full-time employees still receive good perks -- 401K matching, good amount of paid time off, multiple insurance options, parental leave, etc.

Cons

- Teams with not-so-good-cultures do exist at Turner, just like any other company. Many current & former employees with bad experiences at Turner have worked on one of these teams or simply had a poor manager. If there is a toxic element tied to specific persons or allowed behaviors, it seems to be difficult to free the team of these influences or contributors. I have seen high turnover within specific teams, where good employees feel they have to leave the company rather than management rooting out the problems at hand.
    - Politics has taken a stronger presence along side the company's growth. More risk taking and experimentation was possible 10 years ago. Now, red tape and process hurdles stand in the way sometimes of making good, efficient decisions.
    - Layoffs and cutting benefits/perks did take away some of the "special things" about being a Turner employee. This puts Turner more on par with other companies, which means it will be harder to recruit and keep talented people.

Advice to Management

Steer the ship in the right direction to stay innovative and keep talented employees. Make high-level company initiatives become real-world actions, so that employees can contribute directly to the company's vision. Bring back some of the startup vibes & mentality that used to exist 10 years ago, where we could experiment & build new things with our in-house talent.

9. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Broadcast Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Broadcast Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance in positions below management
    Continuing education assistance in most cases
    Discounts to shopping and cultural events
    Good 401K match

Cons

Career paths not always defined in some divisions

Advice to Management

Create balance between bottom line and ensuring your employees are happy

10. Great experience with a welcoming team.

Former Employee - Temporary Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Temporary Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. Knowledgable and welcoming employees. Team oriented.

Cons

Midtown rush hour traffic is a nightmare.

I began with Turner Broadcasting in 1997.

Former Employee - Promotions Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Promotions Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Turner was a home to me and the people were family. The culture was fun and I was always motivated to go above and beyond in my work. The benefits and the work were always great. Vacation time and 401k matching were unlike anywhere else.

Cons

Unfortunately, most my "Pros" don't apply anymore because from what I understand, the culture that existed is gone. Unless you're a favorite, you will not advance. Nor will you receive the same pay or flexible schedule. Each dept is very different, and in some ways the same.

Turner Broadcasting Photos