Turner Broadcasting
www.turner.com Atlanta, GA 5000+ Employees

Turner Broadcasting Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "Good work/life balance, fun people to work with, it's an industry you can relate to"
    in 30 reviews
  • "They treat their employees well with good training programs and great benefits"
    in 58 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance -- they tout it all on paper, but don't actually practice it"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Silo work with upper management politics"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Work ethic/talent means nothing--it's ONLY about who you know.

Media Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

ProsWe have a great benefits package, working for CNN looks good on the resume and it's always interesting to see what happens from day to day. We have some really great talent and the people can make it fun--we bring each other up with positive encouragment.

ConsThe 'good ole boys network' runs CNN, sexism, racism, a thick glass ceiling for women, managers play favorites, pre-decided reviews and management's attempts to keep morale low so we constantly feel we have to prove ourselves. My manager is passive-aggressive and is almost impossible to talk too on any level. I've never had a job with lower morale and so many unhappy people.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of our useless middle management, bring in fresh blood and use the good talented people we have on staff. Nothing will ever be better until you drop the 'manage by fear' tactics. I've never been so disappointed at a greedy group of people in my life. It's amazing that we work at the worlds news leader and our managers act like a bunch of jealous children.

MIddle managers create a climate where compliant mediocrity is valued above everything else.

Producer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

ProsMore job security than at other companies. They try to take care of people. Good benefits. Matchng 401K

ConsThey are stingy with compensation and praise. They are cliquish. Some people at the middle level have been doing the same job for years and are resistant to the change necessary to stay competitive.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove a layer of middle management.

Just my 2 cents.

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

ProsGreat benefits such as 401K, Paid Time Off and other perks.

ConsToo much politics and siliness about your cultural, group and ethnic identity.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue more about the content of character of the individual than where s/he is from or what cultural identity that individual given by the society.

Turner Broadcasting Entry Level

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

ProsAtmosphere is great and people get along with eachother.

ConsPay is not so great.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter pay and compensation for entry level workers.

Great company, but they're not going to hand everything you want to you on a silver platter.

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

ProsGenuine respect for employees is part of the culture of Turner. Even if your specific job isn't terribly interesting, there are opportunities to involve yourself and collaborate across functional areas in order to make it so.

ConsSome of the management is nothing short of BAD. At the staff level, pay is standard, at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be much more attention paid to the people-skills of mid-level managers. There needs to be more effort put into fostering and fully developing such skillsets and abilities.

Culture rocks! Everyone loves it here.

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

ProsGreat culture - thanks to Atlanta, the work-life balance is definitely there. Be in the media industry witout the egos. wonderful benefits - summer Fridays, loads of holidays, great 401K, etc. Leader in the industry - well-respected thanks to the success of Turner's many networks

ConsLower salary compared to competition. The caveat of this is that I don't work as hard as I would if I were making more at a competitor. (Thus the work-life balance). Career growth opportunities are slow due to a very decentralized approach. Senior leaders focus on success (projects, etc), but not on retaining an developing talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your employees be more competitive - pay us more and expect us to succeed.

Good benefits, not much else

Technical Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

ProsGreat 401k and good benefits. Braves, Hawks and Thrashers tickets are a nice perk.

ConsPoor senior leadership - no management capabilities. Everything is dealt with in fire fighting/crisis mode. CNN believes they run the entire company and will steamroll projects and initiatives that they don't support. However, most of the CNN related projects are very tactical in nature and die on the vive within 3 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan something, take some management courses. Learn what motivates people - and get your head out of the data.

It is what you make it...!!!

Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

ProsThe benefits and the family related events.

ConsThe good ole boy network. The size makes it hard to navigate or expose yourself to potential opportunities for growth. Develop a program in which employees may gain insight into other business units. Currently it is hard to figure out what opportunities are available.

Advice to Senior ManagementEstablish a mechanism to better communicate to lower level staff. Foster a business resource group geared towards just communication or a way for employees to voice their true concerns without any fear of lose of job.

Worked for Turner Broadcasting? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Turner Broadcasting reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Turner Broadcasting CEO John Martin. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Turner Broadcasting employees.