Turner Broadcasting

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014
3.6

John Martin

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, fun people to work with, it's an industry you can relate to (in 51 reviews)

• They treat their employees well with good training programs and great benefits (in 71 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance -- they tout it all on paper, but don't actually practice it (in 17 reviews)

• Ascending into upper management is difficult (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good run at Turner

Current Employee - Development Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working in show business on the IT side of things was very interesting. The content was all over the place, from unscripted junk on TBS to great dramas on TNT to cartoons and very strange quasi-adult fare on Adult Swim. Leave policy and insurance are excellent. Turner has a challenging environment with scaling web site traffic. Technically, the group is very strong and provides opportunities for growth in skill sets during employment. The campus is a great place to work, but the 'dark towers' of CNN are where IT power resides. Many different and interesting technologies have been used to respond to business needs. Top of the line usage for mobile growth and deployment are in place.

Cons

Risk aversion is the number one concern of the senior IT management team. Failure is punished and a not used as a good way to experiment. Turf building and silos are more important than client service. The unfortunate systems engineers and support staff are tasked with 24/7 call and long hours. Efforts to virtualize the machine base have been slow and difficult. Excessive use of resources by CNN when business revenue is really from Sports and Entertainment.

IT as a consulting pool to the businesses has not worked. Embed the teams with the businesses to give them a real interest in what is produced and in providing client satisfaction. Knock out middle management and take a chance on some of the hot line managers as directors.

Finance

Current Employee - Financial Analyst II
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst II

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time

Pros

Work-life balance is good if you have the right manager (Ability to work from home, etc). Turner has many great benefits, such as their good health plan options, generous PTO and Summer Fridays (leave at 3) are a great. There are many intelligent people to work with.

Cons

In finance & accounting, upward movement can be slow sometimes but this greatly depends on your group.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

soft benefits, insurance, work/life balance, great enviorment/culture

Cons

silo oranization, pay is average

Amazing place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Turner was an amazing place to work. The culture was progressive and encouraged personal growth. The benefits were as good as any I have experienced in the industry (or any industry really). A great experience overall.

Cons

Cons are what you might expect from any large corporation. They are not as nimble when it comes to change as a smaller company, although to their credit, they are aware and seeking to improve.

Keep pushing to break the shackles of doing things "the way they've always been done." This is an industry that can not only embrace change, but drive it every day.

Great environment to work in!

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are great to work with. Everyone is very helpful and considerate and nice even if you don't really know something they are all willing to help! Friendly and flexible environment for work. they allow you to work from home if needed and let you put your family first. They will also allow you to explore your interests, even if they don't directly effect the business unit you are working in but might have an impact to some other business unit in the company. (Managers aren't territorial).

Cons

Turner 20/20 initiative has taken away some of the employee "perks" which has started to make this company feel a little less friendly to millennials and more "old school" in terms of what it offers to employees.

Bring back some of the employee perks! maybe take a cue from places like Facebook and Apple in terms of benefits and perks.

Loved working for Turner

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

wonderful work environment...work life balance is great...perks are amazing

Cons

Does not communicate directly with employees about changes that are going to happen. Very vague.

Great company, great benefits, fun environment

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

campus like environment
    work-life balance
    perks & benefits
    large company, lots of opportunities

Cons

the company is undergoing a big change of direction, hard to say how it will be in a few months or years...

For a big company, not bad.

Former Employee - Writer/Producer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Writer/Producer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people. Most are fairly competent and professional.

Cons

You can get lost in a big company.

Listen to employees.

It's what you make of it.

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The reason I'm still here after 10+ years is because of Ted Turner's legacy. When I first started, he was still around and his vision and voice was so strong that I still feel it here so many years later (although with recent management changes that vision is not as clear). Turner started as a maverick brand and that history keeps me around hoping that we'll find that edge again. I've had amazing managers in my various roles. Turner is known for focusing on employee development and caring about its people. It's not the case in all departments but I was lucky to work for the best. Although I'm a lifer, I have moved into different enough roles and moved up steadily enough to keep me happy with my job. Didn't hurt that I decided to make my move into digital halfway into my career which has definitely helped my prospects. Overall, decent pay, great benefits and good bosses (if you're lucky).

Cons

Turner could be so much more than it currently is. Programming seems to have gotten a bit stale in some areas and the old Ted Turner fire is pretty much gone. There have been a lot of personnel changes in the last few weeks and although a lot of it is necessary, I'm a bit concerned that the new management is much more corporate and a bit more cold-blooded than of old (I don't mean John Martin - he seems cool - but the rest of the regime just isn't all that likable). I just hope they keep the good people and don't kill the Turner culture.

Shed the staleness, the "can't do" mentality and inefficiencies as needed to position the company for success, but don't kill the culture and make Turner just a corporate shell.

Great people, very professional atmosphere

Current Employee - Event Marketing Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Event Marketing Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Loved working for this company, great benefits, wonderful and professional people, great work life balance, learned a lot in my 10 plus years working for them

Cons

Many reorgs and overall company restructure has costs 1000 people their jobs

Consider the overall direction of where the company is headed and what message you are wanting to send to your employees who are some of the best in this industry.

Turner Broadcasting Photos