Turner Broadcasting Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
478 reviews filtered by
3.5
John Martin

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good if you have the right manager (Ability to work from home, etc) (in 58 reviews)

• They treat their employees well with good training programs and great benefits (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance -- they tout it all on paper, but don't actually practice it (in 20 reviews)

• No one ever left the company so it was difficult to move up (in 8 reviews)

1. Perfect 1st internship

Former Intern - Corporate Responsibility in Atlanta, GA
    Former Intern - Corporate Responsibility in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

An amazing experience. I feel like my position unlike others really expanded throughout the company. I was able to see all aspects of Turner and they even gave me the opportunity to venture over to Turner Studios every once in a while to check out what they were doing over there.

Cons

I had little to no communication with my advisors post internship. Might have been on be though. Make sure you keep up them later on.

2. Challenging work experience with good perks.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time

Pros

Working at Turner will heighten your skill levels in the media and digital industries. Simply put, you will be challenged and learn on-the-job while working on great products for our internal business and external customers. Turner loves self starters, where talented people will excel if they prove they know their stuff and get work done efficiently. Team culture is absolutely great in some areas, where collaboration and 2-way feedback is welcomed for continuous improvement. Turner 2020 and perks cuts are unfortunate, but transformation & change may push the company back to focusing on what's important for internal culture and external business wins, given some time. Personally, Turner has been the highlight of my career. I have had both my best job ever and worst job ever at Turner. I enjoyed coming to work every single day during my 'best job' timeframe. I remember leaving at the end of each day feeling like I had conquered the world with my own hands. Also, you will learn a lot from your peers as people from many different walks of life are working at Turner. If you find a good team to work for with skilled peers, you will enjoy your work experience.

Benefits have been cut, but full-time employees still receive good perks -- 401K matching, good amount of paid time off, multiple insurance options, parental leave, etc.

Cons

- Teams with not-so-good-cultures do exist at Turner, just like any other company. Many current & former employees with bad experiences at Turner have worked on one of these teams or simply had a poor manager. If there is a toxic element tied to specific persons or allowed behaviors, it seems to be difficult to free the team of these influences or contributors. I have seen high turnover within specific teams, where good employees feel they have to leave the company rather than management rooting out the problems at hand.
    - Politics has taken a stronger presence along side the company's growth. More risk taking and experimentation was possible 10 years ago. Now, red tape and process hurdles stand in the way sometimes of making good, efficient decisions.
    - Layoffs and cutting benefits/perks did take away some of the "special things" about being a Turner employee. This puts Turner more on par with other companies, which means it will be harder to recruit and keep talented people.

Steer the ship in the right direction to stay innovative and keep talented employees. Make high-level company initiatives become real-world actions, so that employees can contribute directly to the company's vision. Bring back some of the startup vibes & mentality that used to exist 10 years ago, where we could experiment & build new things with our in-house talent.

3. Great place to work!

Former Employee - Broadcast Technician in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Broadcast Technician in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance in positions below management
    Continuing education assistance in most cases
    Discounts to shopping and cultural events
    Good 401K match

Cons

Career paths not always defined in some divisions

Create balance between bottom line and ensuring your employees are happy

5. Great or even outstanding if you're in creative or on-air teams; fair to awful in technology departments

Former Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Good work-life balance "if" you have the right manager. Fun and challenging work "if" you're in creative or on-air production. Company culture can be very laid-back and fun "if" you're in creative or on-air production. Lots of strong learning opportunities for creative and on-air team members.

Cons

Culture and work environment highly dependent on your individual manager. Strong good-old-boy network - with corresponding politics and rumor mill across all departments. Promotions are very slow in the entire organization because managers and directors almost never leave. Company is extremely top-heavy with managers; even after the recent large-scale layoffs some departments still have more senior managers and executives than line workers. Multiple redundant IT departments compete with each other for control and visibility; even at the senior level, most Turner IT people are not very knowledgeable and the company does not believe in training their IT staff; many of the managers and directors in IT are in nasty backbiting competition with each other; and creative departments do not trust IT or understand the challenges Turner faces with the antiquated technology and inter-group rivalries on the technology side - all of which makes life as a manager in Turner IT very hard. Training and growth opportunities are very slim on the technical side.

Cut out redundant IT departments and train the remaining IT staff to a knowledge level more typical of non-media companies.

6. Great experience with a welcoming team.

Former Employee - Temporary Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Temporary Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment. Knowledgable and welcoming employees. Team oriented.

Cons

Midtown rush hour traffic is a nightmare.

7. Broadcasting, Media

Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Family culture, benefits were good, not sure what they are now.

Cons

no stock for employees, benefits became smaller

Hopefully they will be able to have better benefits for the employees. Otherwise it was a good company to work for.

8. Fun, until it's not.

Former Employee - Coordinator
    Former Employee - Coordinator

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Your base salary is going to be higher than other places. The perks are AMAZING. Since they deal in advertising, you get some awesome stuff at discounted rates. Cell phone discounts are the best. Depending on your department you have some opportunity for advancement.

Cons

The benefits suck. Your better off opting out and getting Obamacare. They were great when I started, but then slowly Time Warner started taking away. Turner had 10 weeks of maternity, and 2 weeks of paternity for new parents, whether it was natural birth or adoption. Time Warner offers 6 weeks for both mothers and fathers. So dads get more time, but they didn't just give birth. Management cares about their bonus, and will use you to get it. You won't see your pay do anything but the average. Make sure you aren't a overachiever, because your boss will see to it that you don't move on, that would mean they have to work.

When being laid-off makes me happy, maybe it's not me, it's you.

Stop managing to the lowest common denominator. If you have good people use them, but make sure they are recognized for their contribution. Hire better managers, that way you can have less of them. The industry standard isn't 1 manager to 3-5 employees. It's 1:8-10. This means some of your "friends" have to go.

9. I began with Turner Broadcasting in 1997.

Former Employee - Promotions Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Promotions Marketing Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Turner was a home to me and the people were family. The culture was fun and I was always motivated to go above and beyond in my work. The benefits and the work were always great. Vacation time and 401k matching were unlike anywhere else.

Cons

Unfortunately, most my "Pros" don't apply anymore because from what I understand, the culture that existed is gone. Unless you're a favorite, you will not advance. Nor will you receive the same pay or flexible schedule. Each dept is very different, and in some ways the same.

10. Turner Job Review

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Pay, benifits and work envirenment

Cons

very few career paths for technical employees

11. Just OK

Current Employee - Senior Backend Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Backend Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

It's like any other large corporation.

Cons

Just like the Pros section, it's like any other large corporation.

Turner Broadcasting Photos