Turner Broadcasting

Updated September 18, 2014
Updated September 18, 2014
3.7

John Martin

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, fun people to work with, it's an industry you can relate to (in 37 reviews)

• They treat their employees well with good training programs and great benefits (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance -- they tout it all on paper, but don't actually practice it (in 13 reviews)

• Ascending into upper management is difficult (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

workplace

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

this is a great company!

Cons

i have no cons to add

no advice

Great people, great benefits and perks. Amazing brands.

Current Employee - Director  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Brands are a diverse portfolio of awesome brands. People are very passionate about the work and can be very inspiring to work with.

Cons

Internal politics. Relationships are everything- that is both good and bad.

Need to focus more aggressively on low performers.

Turner provided a great environment to learn and get involved in the media business.

Former Employee - Sales Planner
    Former Employee - Sales Planner

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Leadership with a ton of experience, great benefits, strong brand recognition

Cons

Lower compensation than competitors, too rigid of a corporate structure.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with many employee perks

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was in a small department and had the opportunity to expand my role and take on other projects. My manager was great and the campus atmosphere really made me feel excited to come in. I especially liked all the professional development opportunities and networking programs available. The gym was convenient as well. I never had a problem when unexpected life events came up and my management was very understanding on the rare occasions I needed to run out of work to handle business. Nice company.

Cons

I think the main thing you have to do is research the department you are working for. Also assess the job market. There were definitely whole teams that were laid off while I was there, but I suppose that happens at any major company. In order to move up you definitely need to have built relationships. Just doing a great job is NOT enough.

I worked there briefly before going back to school, and it was great!

Former Employee - Intern  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting as an intern for less than a year

Pros

friendly atmosphere, great work-life balance, interesting and dynamic workplace;
    The office culture was professional without being too stuffy. People enjoy going to work, which is always a plus.

Cons

Some departments are divided up and have offices in different buildings, so it can feel disjointed sometimes. However, divisions that work together the most seemed to have offices in the same building, so the multiple locations wasn't too bad.

Manager at CNN

Former Employee - Manager  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The People are Turner Broadcasting's greatest pro. Company has great benefits and the compensation is within industry standards. Working in television is a great opportunity for anyone not on the editorial side of things. It was very exciting at times. There are opportunities to train and take classes to up your skill set.

Cons

Lots of layoffs going on right now. CNN Is in flux at the moment and not the most stable company to work for.

Depending on your position, the work-life balance varied greatly. There was a good time-off policy starting with 28 PTO days (this is a 24/7 environment so holidays off are scheduled based on the news flow).

Incredible learning experience

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting as a contractor for more than 10 years

Pros

I learned so much working at Turner! Management gave me the freedom to explore and take on new projects. No two days were the same. Once they added telecommuting it was my dream job and helped me to plan the directly of my career. While some people see the fast pace and the changes as a con, I loved it.

Cons

Some managers were not well trained and staff changed frequently. Changes were not thoroughly planned. I loved the fast pace but dislike ignoring lessons learned.

Document historical information so that previous mistakes can be avoided.

Associate Product Manager

Former Employee - Associate Product Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Associate Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture is amazing. Everyone from the VP of the Division to my direct supervisor were great and willing to teach me.

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow

Create realistic goals

Having a great time working with my manager and team, but room for improvement as well

Current Employee - Systems/Software Developer
    Current Employee - Systems/Software Developer

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Within the team the amount of collaboration is good/very good and improving daily. Occasional pair programming has been beneficial, helping expose others to code frameworks and resulting in a little less ramp-up time. Not a lot that I would change within the team except to keep that communication flowing a bit better.

I really do appreciate the few stand-outs I have seen in management. They are class acts and truly understand what they are doing because yes, they have been there and done the work themselves. We need more great people like you but I know that quality can be hard to find.

Cons

Wheel-spinning due to lack of communication from outside the team comes often enough to be painful. Often it seems that groups attempt to enforce particular plans or solutions because someone's name, yearly goal, etc. is attached to that solution.

I do not appreciate the few members of management who are spending a lot of time with busy work instead of contributing something meaningful.

Would be helpful if our team could work more directly for the client, deliver what they need and get more directly from point A to B.

If management does not adhere to the core tenets of Scrum then we may as well go back to waterfall. I see an almost religious grasping at what management "thinks" Scrum means (sprints, planning poker, keeping hours up-to-date and sub-tasking everything to death) but most of the middle men seem to be solidly missing the point. In the end what does this amount to? Going through the motions so that "magically" things come together at the end of each sprint with pretty graphs. Behavior wholly like superstition. There seems to be very little focus on collaboration and involving the entire work group, and isn't that the entire point of doing Scrum in the first place?

Really enjoy the people

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Work life and gym benefits

Cons

Location commute and salary and political

None

Worked for Turner Broadcasting? Contribute to the Community!