Turner Broadcasting

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
3.6

John Martin

Pros
  • Good work/life balance, fun people to work with, it's an industry you can relate to (in 49 reviews)

• They treat their employees well with good training programs and great benefits (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance -- they tout it all on paper, but don't actually practice it (in 16 reviews)

• Ascending into upper management is difficult (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good run at Turner

Current Employee - Development Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working in show business on the IT side of things was very interesting. The content was all over the place, from unscripted junk on TBS to great dramas on TNT to cartoons and very strange quasi-adult fare on Adult Swim. Leave policy and insurance are excellent. Turner has a challenging environment with scaling web site traffic. Technically, the group is very strong and provides opportunities for growth in skill sets during employment. The campus is a great place to work, but the 'dark towers' of CNN are where IT power resides. Many different and interesting technologies have been used to respond to business needs. Top of the line usage for mobile growth and deployment are in place.

Cons

Risk aversion is the number one concern of the senior IT management team. Failure is punished and a not used as a good way to experiment. Turf building and silos are more important than client service. The unfortunate systems engineers and support staff are tasked with 24/7 call and long hours. Efforts to virtualize the machine base have been slow and difficult. Excessive use of resources by CNN when business revenue is really from Sports and Entertainment.

IT as a consulting pool to the businesses has not worked. Embed the teams with the businesses to give them a real interest in what is produced and in providing client satisfaction. Knock out middle management and take a chance on some of the hot line managers as directors.

Great company, great benefits, fun environment

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

campus like environment
    work-life balance
    perks & benefits
    large company, lots of opportunities

Cons

the company is undergoing a big change of direction, hard to say how it will be in a few months or years...

It's what you make of it.

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The reason I'm still here after 10+ years is because of Ted Turner's legacy. When I first started, he was still around and his vision and voice was so strong that I still feel it here so many years later (although with recent management changes that vision is not as clear). Turner started as a maverick brand and that history keeps me around hoping that we'll find that edge again. I've had amazing managers in my various roles. Turner is known for focusing on employee development and caring about its people. It's not the case in all departments but I was lucky to work for the best. Although I'm a lifer, I have moved into different enough roles and moved up steadily enough to keep me happy with my job. Didn't hurt that I decided to make my move into digital halfway into my career which has definitely helped my prospects. Overall, decent pay, great benefits and good bosses (if you're lucky).

Cons

Turner could be so much more than it currently is. Programming seems to have gotten a bit stale in some areas and the old Ted Turner fire is pretty much gone. There have been a lot of personnel changes in the last few weeks and although a lot of it is necessary, I'm a bit concerned that the new management is much more corporate and a bit more cold-blooded than of old (I don't mean John Martin - he seems cool - but the rest of the regime just isn't all that likable). I just hope they keep the good people and don't kill the Turner culture.

Shed the staleness, the "can't do" mentality and inefficiencies as needed to position the company for success, but don't kill the culture and make Turner just a corporate shell.

For a big company, not bad.

Former Employee - Writer/Producer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Writer/Producer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people. Most are fairly competent and professional.

Cons

You can get lost in a big company.

Listen to employees.

Great people, very professional atmosphere

Current Employee - Event Marketing Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Event Marketing Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Loved working for this company, great benefits, wonderful and professional people, great work life balance, learned a lot in my 10 plus years working for them

Cons

Many reorgs and overall company restructure has costs 1000 people their jobs

Consider the overall direction of where the company is headed and what message you are wanting to send to your employees who are some of the best in this industry.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Good people, good work, generally not frustrating place.

Cons

Growth opportunities are based on timing.

Amazing people, never a dull moment in almost 10 years worked.

Current Employee - Technical Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have had an opportunity to work with some of the brightest technologists in the industry, not only Atlanta. The types of changes/technologies we've implemented have been featured in major web technology conferences. The opportunity to consistently innovative and work with others who thrive off of working together to solve highly complex problems is why I love my job.

Cons

The primary disfunction is when decisions are made which continue to leave old technologies in place and then wonder/question why we have complexity/unmanageable systems growth. It's time to use this current corporate "changing of the guard" to make tough decision and narrow our technology services scope so we can be more nimble.

You need to not only encourage, but require that software/services be built in a modular way so that businesses can use more shared technologies vs continued one-offs. Additionally, stop allowing the consumer-facing business units to bully shared technology areas into building these one-offs.

Great job, Great Benefits, Pay a little on the low side

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance, benefits, flexibility, vacation, & people

Cons

Pay is slightly on the low side

Network, network, network!

Former Employee - Media Tech in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Media Tech in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Meet as many people as you can in the field you are interested in. You can work your way up if you know the right people.

Cons

It takes a while to move up because no one wants to leave their position. Which I guess speaks highly of Turner as a company. They take good care of they're staff employees.

Offer more advancement/networking opportunities to entry level employees.

Long Career at Turner Broadcasting

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great people! It's the people who drive the success that Turner has had. They are smart, hardworking, talented and creative.

Cons

New Management is cleaning house...

Turner Broadcasting Photos