Turner Broadcasting

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014
3.5

John Martin

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good if you have the right manager (Ability to work from home, etc) (in 58 reviews)

• They treat their employees well with good training programs and great benefits (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance -- they tout it all on paper, but don't actually practice it (in 20 reviews)

• No one ever left the company so it was difficult to move up (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

The company culture is deteriorating.

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time

Pros

The company has great benefits. Great people work there.

Cons

New leadership is changing the direction of the company.

Sinking ship no longer values employees

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the late 90s and 2000s it was a great company. The company is still profitable.

Cons

Turner has been on the decline since a famous activist stockholder takeover attempt. Ever since then the accountants have been running the show. In fact the new CEO is the former CFO of Time Warner.

Every service department has been cut to the bone, and the best employees are leaving. For years now many departments are being held together on threads by a single person or two in each department, and management is failing to recognize them. We work hard but are not given the proper tools we need becaue the accountants have decided it is too expensive to buy industry standard tools to do our tasks. Management does not care about anything but their own personal bonus. Jobs are regularly posted but not filled in order to keep them open until budgets close and thee manager can make better numbers.

Now with the Turner 2020 initiative, blanket threats of layoffs by year-end have been issued and I don't know a single person not looking for a new company to work for. The best people are the ones fleeing first, and the ones who have been in cruise control are stuck at Turner. Do you really want to be stuck alongside these people? The amount and lack of motivation is startling, and management has failed to not only acknowledge who is working hard, but failed to grasp the lack of motivation issues. Current focus is on cutting everything to the bone and working everyone as hard as possible. Nobody is talking about career advancement anymore, we are being told to be lucky we have jobs essentially. Meanwhile managers at mid level are fighting to keep their jobs as duties are being sent to other departments, and in some cases off-shore. Our first level support is already being off-shored to a third party contractor who will operate call centers out of Eastern Europe. This was announced even prior to the Turner 2020 cuts. Managers at all levels seem to be incompetant, and this has gone on long enough that it's clear senior management has no idea what they are doing. The very same people who have ran Turner into the ground over the past few years are now being rewarded with new roles in the new consolidated departments. Even before all of these cuts, Turner has been known for sub-par pay and location does not seem to matter.

I work closely with management in many locations and the sentiment among management even is this is a screwed up company. Everyone knows it, even managers. They are trying to keep their job though so this gets swept under the rug except in the constant gossip around the building, which these days is all day and every day.

Get rid of management that has been around for 10 or 20 years with no improvement. Ask your front of the line employees what they actually need to do their jobs, and if it's $20 or $30/mo, consider the improved output it would give versus the additional cost. Treat your employees like humans again. Turner has lost its luster and the name is no longer a draw.

Most backwards company ever!!! Don't let the brand fool you!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

The cons outweigh the pros

Cons

They do not value talent, no room for growth, poor leadership!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're doomed for failure no matter what, good luck !

I'm glad I'm not working there now

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The organization is diverse which is great! This is a major strength because it contributes to the TBS creativity in programs.

Cons

The organization suffers from a mean girl attitude; especially in HR. Very political organization and questionable management and HR practices.

Only the shareholders matter. Employees don't.

Current Employee - Communications in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Communications in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I can wear jeans to work.

Cons

Morale is in the gutter. We keep getting memos from the CEO that layoffs are coming so there's a dark cloud over everything. Things that make the company great, like volunteer day, are getting cut. Pay was already low but now there is even less motivation to do a good job. High level execs don't care about us. Only the bottom line matters so that when Time Warner is bought the shareholders will make tons of money.

Treat us like human beings rather than dispensable expenses.

A mess

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits , summer Friday

Cons

Management non-existent , blame culture , too many changes and little understanding of what's going on , under-resourced , wrong people in the wrong place , no clear structure ,no training , role not well defined where someone is clearly bored and another completely over-worked , Managers completely inadequate.

Communication of expectations , more resources , new managers with better experience/knowledge

Abusive

Former Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, and some interesting projects.

Cons

I had worked at Turner for a good many years, and then the management changed. The new management did everything they could to get rid of good employees. Four of my co-workers, all of whom had been with the company over 8 years, abruptly left the company. Then a year later, I did the same. I was given impossible assignments and set up to fail, and then given a "performance warning." Before then, I had never had problems getting satisfactory annual reviews. I also knew a guy working in a different department who had a terribly abusive boss--even worse than mine. Anyway, this place is toxic--stay far, far away. I feel sorry for my co-workers who are still working there. One of them is only working there because the company pays for insanely expensive medicine for his wife; he told me that otherwise, he would have left a long time ago.

Stop abusing employees.

Not for top talent anymore

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Vacation and 401 k are great.

Cons

Shrinking business. Too much management structure and not enough doers. No opportunity for advancement. Toxic politics.

Value your employees or all you will have left will be the sharks with more to say than they can actually do.

Fall of the house of Turner

Current Employee - Senior Management in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Management in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Politics are bad.

Cons

Politics, promotion's based on politics not skills and abilities. It has been downhill since Ted left.

Get rid of John Martin and those who are gutting the company for a sale. I am not a disgruntled employee who was passed over for promotion. My advice is that the culture as promoted is not what is now being executed. Moral at Turner is in a free fall as no employee feels safe.

Director

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Salary is very good, but vacation is based on seniority and not tittle. Two weeks vacation to start for a senior level is not good.

Cons

Dealing with old blood. No new way of thinking. People have been there for years therefore they don't want change, same way of doing things.

Be open to new creative thinking. Be clear and transparent.

Turner Broadcasting Photos