Turner Broadcasting Reviews

Updated April 17, 2015
492 reviews filtered by
3.5
John Martin

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good if you have the right manager (Ability to work from home, etc) (in 58 reviews)

• They treat their employees well with good training programs and great benefits (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance -- they tout it all on paper, but don't actually practice it (in 20 reviews)

• No one ever left the company so it was difficult to move up (in 8 reviews)

1. HR

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Meeting new and diverse people

Cons

Upper management could care less about their works Turner 20/20 was a way to get rid of older works and other employees who refused to be manipulated by the rat race to sell their souls to get promoted. This company is all about their brand at the expense of quality and truthful programming plus cut throat practices and the entire HR Department is a joke, There is no morals or standards everything is based on relationships that involve butt kissing and shady practices.

Advice to Management

Return back to the true vision of Ted Turner when the company actually stood for something and cared about other human beings.

If you are focused on IT stay away from Turner or Time Warner.

Former Employee - Senior Management in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Management in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great up to 2014. Then folks in NY gutted IT in the name of cost savings (or more correctly lets push as much pain to the business as possible so we can make the IT budget look good).

Cons

In 2014 the entire IT operation of Time Warner (HBO, Warner Brothers and Turner Broadcasting) was gutted and outsourced. Those running it now are focused on cost savings at the expense of service delivery. It is a very hypocritical and a culture of fear. Ask a customer of their service desk what it is like now from what it was.

A lot of politics, low knowledge & training levels and below-average pay in IT (above average pay in other departments)

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy to stay here a long time without working very hard if your manager likes you and you're good at office politics. Work-life balance good in some departments, not good at all in others. Turner is a good place to punch your ticket when first starting your career, especially if you want to stay in media industries... There is a lot of turnover for the first 1-3 years, and remarkably little turnover the three-year mark. If you do a good job and play politics well and your manager likes you, it's easy to get a manager-level title without any actual career growth or management responsibilities after you've been here a relatively short while. Turner is very heavy with middle-management so advancement from upward from line manager is extremely slow. Many VP-level positions at Turner would be directors, and many senior directors would be first-level mangers. The positive side of this is that you quickly learn not to be scared of titles here; the down side of having so many middle managers is office politics and no acceptance of innovation. Try to make friends and fit into the culture very quickly or you will be on the outside. Most people who want to introduce new ideas or advance their careers leave after 1-2 years with a boost in title and a well-known company name on their resume.

Cons

A lot of very long-term employees who are comfortable in their jobs leads to a corporate standard of low expectations and complacency, which makes it difficult to introduce new ideas or advance in your career. HR department not doing the company any favors by allowing titles to be awarded for length of service or being friends with your manager, and allowing poor performers to stagnate in middle management layers. Title inflation is common in creative industries but worse here at Turner than most other media companies. Turner has way too many middle and senior managers - there are a lot of "managers" and "senior managers" with no reports and no tactical or strategic input, and a lot of "senior directors" with only four or five total team members (some of whom may also be "directors"). Because the company is so top-heavy most managers in reality have very little of what companies in other industries would call management-level responsibilities and constantly try to undercut each other for visibility or control while spending a lot of time micro-managing their subordinates. The management-level competition means the company as a whole is risk-averse and not open to new ideas that involve collaboration between teams. IT salaries below industry average; non-technical salaries at or above industry average. Healthcare benefits more expensive than opting out and buying your own.

Advice to Management

Review industry average salaries and adjust accordingly. Re-evaluate benefits providers. Eliminate middle management layers. Offer top-heavy senior management and executives early retirement or other incentives to leave so the company can be more flexible and open to innovation.

The company culture is deteriorating.

Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time

Pros

The company has great benefits. Great people work there.

Cons

New leadership is changing the direction of the company.

Sinking ship no longer values employees

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

In the late 90s and 2000s it was a great company. The company is still profitable.

Cons

Turner has been on the decline since a famous activist stockholder takeover attempt. Ever since then the accountants have been running the show. In fact the new CEO is the former CFO of Time Warner.

Every service department has been cut to the bone, and the best employees are leaving. For years now many departments are being held together on threads by a single person or two in each department, and management is failing to recognize them. We work hard but are not given the proper tools we need becaue the accountants have decided it is too expensive to buy industry standard tools to do our tasks. Management does not care about anything but their own personal bonus. Jobs are regularly posted but not filled in order to keep them open until budgets close and thee manager can make better numbers.

Now with the Turner 2020 initiative, blanket threats of layoffs by year-end have been issued and I don't know a single person not looking for a new company to work for. The best people are the ones fleeing first, and the ones who have been in cruise control are stuck at Turner. Do you really want to be stuck alongside these people? The amount and lack of motivation is startling, and management has failed to not only acknowledge who is working hard, but failed to grasp the lack of motivation issues. Current focus is on cutting everything to the bone and working everyone as hard as possible. Nobody is talking about career advancement anymore, we are being told to be lucky we have jobs essentially. Meanwhile managers at mid level are fighting to keep their jobs as duties are being sent to other departments, and in some cases off-shore. Our first level support is already being off-shored to a third party contractor who will operate call centers out of Eastern Europe. This was announced even prior to the Turner 2020 cuts. Managers at all levels seem to be incompetant, and this has gone on long enough that it's clear senior management has no idea what they are doing. The very same people who have ran Turner into the ground over the past few years are now being rewarded with new roles in the new consolidated departments. Even before all of these cuts, Turner has been known for sub-par pay and location does not seem to matter.

I work closely with management in many locations and the sentiment among management even is this is a screwed up company. Everyone knows it, even managers. They are trying to keep their job though so this gets swept under the rug except in the constant gossip around the building, which these days is all day and every day.

Advice to Management

Get rid of management that has been around for 10 or 20 years with no improvement. Ask your front of the line employees what they actually need to do their jobs, and if it's $20 or $30/mo, consider the improved output it would give versus the additional cost. Treat your employees like humans again. Turner has lost its luster and the name is no longer a draw.

Most backwards company ever!!! Don't let the brand fool you!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

The cons outweigh the pros

Cons

They do not value talent, no room for growth, poor leadership!!!!!!!!!!!!

Advice to Management

You're doomed for failure no matter what, good luck !

I'm glad I'm not working there now

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The organization is diverse which is great! This is a major strength because it contributes to the TBS creativity in programs.

Cons

The organization suffers from a mean girl attitude; especially in HR. Very political organization and questionable management and HR practices.

Only the shareholders matter. Employees don't.

Current Employee - Communications in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Communications in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I can wear jeans to work.

Cons

Morale is in the gutter. We keep getting memos from the CEO that layoffs are coming so there's a dark cloud over everything. Things that make the company great, like volunteer day, are getting cut. Pay was already low but now there is even less motivation to do a good job. High level execs don't care about us. Only the bottom line matters so that when Time Warner is bought the shareholders will make tons of money.

Advice to Management

Treat us like human beings rather than dispensable expenses.

A mess

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits , summer Friday

Cons

Management non-existent , blame culture , too many changes and little understanding of what's going on , under-resourced , wrong people in the wrong place , no clear structure ,no training , role not well defined where someone is clearly bored and another completely over-worked , Managers completely inadequate.

Advice to Management

Communication of expectations , more resources , new managers with better experience/knowledge

Abusive

Former Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, and some interesting projects.

Cons

I had worked at Turner for a good many years, and then the management changed. The new management did everything they could to get rid of good employees. Four of my co-workers, all of whom had been with the company over 8 years, abruptly left the company. Then a year later, I did the same. I was given impossible assignments and set up to fail, and then given a "performance warning." Before then, I had never had problems getting satisfactory annual reviews. I also knew a guy working in a different department who had a terribly abusive boss--even worse than mine. Anyway, this place is toxic--stay far, far away. I feel sorry for my co-workers who are still working there. One of them is only working there because the company pays for insanely expensive medicine for his wife; he told me that otherwise, he would have left a long time ago.

Advice to Management

Stop abusing employees.

Turner Broadcasting Photos