Turner Broadcasting

www.turner.com
  www.turner.com

Turner Broadcasting Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.6

John Martin

Pros
  • Work-life balance is good if you have the right manager (Ability to work from home, etc) (in 58 reviews)

• They treat their employees well with good training programs and great benefits (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance -- they tout it all on paper, but don't actually practice it (in 20 reviews)

• No one ever left the company so it was difficult to move up (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall good place to work

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Great Benefits, Nice people for the most part, nice location (Atlanta), some opportunity for advancement, Reputable company, good perks (like free sports tix)

Cons

depending on your specific job the pay can be slightly less than comparable positions within other companies.

Take a little more time to examine employees individual concerns.

Great place to work - focus more on what people know than on their credentials.

Former Employee - Accountant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Great Benefits, great people, great perks, pride in employer,

Cons

lower pay than comparable employers

Don't worry so much about title and credentials, pay attention more to how people feel about working at Turner and their level of engagement

Turner Broadcasting - Overall a great place to work!

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Very smart people who are passionate about what they do. Collaborative culture. Great perks and benefits. Exciting industry. Growth opportunities.

Cons

Bureaucratic in certain areas of the company. Individuals are excused for their bad behavior based on their postion in the company. Compensation is not the greatest...bonuses are very low by industry standards.

Implement zero tolerance policy for "employees behaving badly" Too often, the jerks are excused for their bad behavior...sending the wrong message and putting the company at risk. Don't be jerks!

Great benefits but the atmosphere can vary...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Turner offers a great benefits package which includes health/dental/vision insurance, FSA, 401k matching and PTO. Another perk is Summer Fridays, where in the past employees, working the typical day time schedule, are encouraged to leave at 3:00 pm on Fridays between Memorial Day and Labor Day to spend time with their friends and family.

Cons

I feel there is little room for advancement/growth. The review system is dated and can be quite ambiguous and vary greatly depending on your supervisor. So much of your job environment is dependent upon who your supervisor is, so others in the same position may be allowed many more freedoms, earned or not.

I would like Senior Management to pay closer attention to some of the practices of the lower levels of management.

Turner Broadcasting - Where Creativity Goes To Die

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

The best reasons? Some CNN employees are bright, motivated, and passionate about telling stories. There are many opportunities to network and grow a career. The benefits are also pretty amazing.

Cons

The culture is workaholic. The job feels more like a mission than a job. Deadline pressure is extremely stressful. People eat lunch at their desks and work 24 hours in a row. The schedule can be very irregular. Some days I would wake up at 3 am, some days at 5am, other days at 9 am. You are expected to work long hours... some people have not had a day off in many weeks. It leaves very little time for an outside life. Many people are unhappy at Turner but unable to leave. You often hear them griping in the halls about who got a promotion and who got passed over. A certain type of employee gets promoted... the kiss-up, don't-rock-the-boat types. The bureaucracy of such a large organization stifles individual creativity. CNN feels like a factory.

I don't even know what I could say that would begin to fix the company culture. I guess I would encourage my employees to fight for what they believe in and stop churning out cute animal stories for Headline News. I would have a clear mission... are we the network that will educate and inform? or are we the network that dissects the latest Paris Hilton sextape scandals?

Good place to work but advancement is hard.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

The Flexibility and pay the company provides is great.

Cons

Advancement. Very hard to advance because so many people have been here for years. Like 10 plus.

Need more diversity in Managers especially upper management.

Why would I ever leave Turner?

Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Executive Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

The benefits are outstanding! I have been able to work with some outstanding people that I constantly am learning from.

Cons

As an administrative professional, I have been very lucky to work for managers who recognize the value that I bring to the table with my skill set. However, there are still some managers at Turner who view their admins as "just secretaries."

Encourage your direct reports to encourage their direct reports to recognize the jobs that their assistants do and be willing to allow them to develop their skills through education and involvement around the company.

Turner is a great place to work and build a kick-butt demo reel. :-)

Current Employee - Sound Designer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sound Designer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Flexibility, good environment, nice compensation and benefits. The environment is quite friendly with flexible hours.

Cons

Same work day after day. Occasionally the work can turn into the doldrums, but the consistency is nice.

Be more organized regarding production. Make sure the tiny details are accomplished.

Typical Corporate Environment

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

Keeping up with newer technologies

Cons

Typical corporate environment.
    Not much for process

None

A foot in the door.

Current Employee - Research Assistant
    Current Employee - Research Assistant

I have been working at Turner Broadcasting

Pros

The job provides good practical work Experience. The job is simply a good Foot in the door. There have been a couple of people who were really helpful and mentored me in my job. Hours were flexible and no one looks over my shoulder as I do my work.

Cons

Not enough advancement opportunities. The good old boy network is truly evident here. it is not what you know, but rather who you know. Middle management is complacent and lazy, sometimes. They really are not open to new ideas her in Atlanta. The culture is somewhat stagnant and does not encourage you to think outside of the box. Salaries are adequate, but not overly generous.

Listen to your employees.

Turner Broadcasting Photos