Turner Construction

Updated February 26, 2015
3.9

Turner Construction President and CEO Peter J. Davoren
Peter J. Davoren

Pros
  • The company is also very focused on healthy work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Really good company with good benefits (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is very poor and it is difficult to advance unless you know someone at the top (in 14 reviews)

• expect to work long hours, expect upper management to point the finger first, then turn away (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

HR and Management

I worked at Turner Construction

Pros

Good Company as stated by ENR.

Cons

The HR does not have the very basic professional decency to tell their interviewed candidates about their results. It took me 3 months to get an answer about my interview and by then I was zoo tired that I had to beg them to actually reject me and put a closure to all this.
    No coordination between the HR and the Hiring Management Team as they interview international candidates and then tell them that they do not hire people who need sponsorship. The point is international students with 29 months of work visa have the right to work here in USA. But they would prefer local candidates which to me seems like give them the guarantee that they will devote their life to the company. Where as international candidates are even willing to sign a contract that they will stick with that company for a min. of 29 months. I just don't get their view point and I am open to discussion.

Please don't claim EEO. and Tell your HR team to be a little well versed with the hiring policies for international students.

Best decision I ever made was leaving Turner

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Turner Construction full-time

Pros

Some decent benefits. Not all of them though.

Cons

HR is run by an Ops guy so nobody is looking out for employees. Everything is about how long you've been there not how well you do your job. Lots of favoritism. They have no interest in new ideas or ways of doing things. If you don't do it their way you end up on someone's s**t list and you can never get off.

Get a real HR person to come in there and start looking at how you treat people. Raises and promotions should be based on performance not how many years the person has been there, who they're related to, or who likes them.

How many times can a man turn his head pretending he just doesn't see?

Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Turner Construction full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Turner offers great health benefits which can be extremely helpful for families. Unfortunately, providing excellent health insurance is where Turner's concern for their employee's families begins and ends. Other than that, I can't think of any other pros.

Cons

As many other posts have suggested, Turner is a great place to work if you are one of the few who have been "chosen." While companies in all industries should review the future success of their employees and help said employees get on the right career path, Turner's way of "anointing" its employees is based on outdated perceptions instead of rational characteristics and strengths. Senior management runs the company similar to the way a high school bully runs the playground during recess. Those in the Turner boys club who scream the loudest, intimidate the largest amount of people and squash any progress or alternative ways of approaching work are held in the highest regard.

Turner's main two resources are middle aged people who can't go anywhere else and twenty something's who they can take advantage of. Sadly, this is a recipe for failure and I would suggest that senior management begin adopting modern workplace practices as this company is not and will not be able to recruit or retain top talent. Morale at Turner, particularly the NYC office, is at an all time low so senior management needs to realize that simply going through the motions with "connectivity" is a waste of time if none of the employee feedback is recognized.

It was not what I had expected and did not provide opportunities for advancement.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Turner Construction full-time

Pros

Nice company parties and community involvement.

Cons

Leadership needed improvement for one-on-one discussion.

Welcome to the frat house.

I worked at Turner Construction

Pros

Have watched people skate by with minimal effort and be promoted. Turner will not fire anyone, instead upper management will set you up to fail and provide you enough rope to hang yourself from.

Cons

Has no problem sending you to work away from your family.

Give credit where credits due

Long hours not compensated no direction

Former Employee - Mep Engineer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Mep Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at Turner Construction full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Large company with help from all employees

Cons

Salary, long hours, minimum growth, large turn around

Stop changing employees on projects.

Enlightening

I have been working at Turner Construction full-time

Pros

They have good benefit package

Cons

They do not treat everyone the same, too many clicks

They need to do something about those in upper management

Unfortunately disappointing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Turner Construction

Pros

benefits, and some good middle level management people, looks good on resume

Cons

Upper Mgt. basis promotions on favoritism. I was really excited for awhile to be working at Turner but it has been an ultimate disappointment. If you haven't been raised in the Turner Family you are an outsider. Mr. Davoren needs to connect with the lower level people and not just the officers. .

The biggest thing is the leadership needs to be turned over and they need to move into the 21st century.

Understand your population and reward on merit. There needs to be casual fridays, this issue has been raised over and over again. The management team needs to be turned over to younger people who are actually skilled at what they are doing.

Work Life Balance, Not so balanaced

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Turner Construction

Pros

Turner is a great place to experience challanging projects and build problem solving skills. You learn about yourself and what type of responsibilites you can handle.

Cons

There is no work life balance. If you want to be a positive, contributing member of your team, you have zero time for a social life. 12 hour days, 5 days in a row are standard. Younger guys get the shaft from upper management.

Please hire more staff to handle the load of a project job. Please do not take advantage of the bad market and threaten people with their jobs.

Project Engineer with Turner Construction

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Denver, CO

I worked at Turner Construction

Pros

Turner allows young professionals the ability to learn very quickly since they are given a tremdous amout of responsibity very early. They are a very large company which allows the employee the ability to transfer or suitcase. They have wonderful insurance.

Cons

Turner is a very political company with the headquarters in New York. The office is clearly run with favorites and if are not one, do not expect a promotion or any praise for your successes. The HR department is nonexistent, so if you have an HR problem, they will turn it around as your problem and sweep it under the rug. New employees receive no training and are required to "sink or swim" leading to a tremdous amount of turnover.

Senior Management should be more aware of the management running the Denver office. They are not honest with them.

Turner Construction Photos