Turner Construction

Turner Construction Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Turner Construction President and CEO Peter J. Davoren

Peter J. Davoren

Pros
  • Stress work/life balance but expect you to be available on vacations/time off(in 11 reviews)

• Depending on your boss, are very willing to help you move forward in the company(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is preached as a critical component to success, but rarely is it practiced or accepted(in 12 reviews)

• Long hours - usually expected to work a minimum of 50 hours a week, causing work-life balance to suffer(in 16 reviews)

Good company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to make a significant contribution to the projects. Good communication with other specialists across the country/around the world.

ConsTurner is a large company and not as nimble as it could be.

It was a great experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis company has a good close family type atmosphere. I loved working here. If you love people, then you'll love working for Turner. At least that is what it seemed like with me being an intern.

ConsFor me being an intern the only bad thing was being stuck in the office most of the time.

You wanted to go to work everyday. You felt like a family.

Project Safety Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou are able to get training in your field or other fields to advance within the company.

ConsSome people don't know a good oppertunity when they have one.

Advice to Senior ManagementI always felt they did a great job.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJob experience, learning the construction industry

Conscorporate culture, unfair compensation between geographic areas

Satisfactory internship in civil engineering/construction management.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsTurner offers many diverse, hands-on opportunities for current students and recent graduates. Job responsibilities are well matched to skill level, with many chances to learn more while not overwhelming young employees.

ConsPay is fairly low as far as internships are concerned.

i had been worked with this company 8months.

CAD Operator (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

Prosthat is big construction company of USA.and this company had been finished big projects in all over the usa

Conshere u got more and more experienced and u got big challenges for goal.

Advice to Senior Managementno

Worked at Turner

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHas great benefits and pay.

ConsLack of training for positions

Advice to Senior ManagementHave better training practices.

Great if you can stick it out and have a thick skin

Project Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExposure to all market verticals within an isolated market. Experience in all facets of construction (i.e. accounting, cost, engineering, design, etc.) Exposure to high level employees and how to deal with senior management at an early stage in your career. If you can stick it out long enough, you will advance within the company. Salary is competitive, if not slightly better than industry standard. Annual cost of living salary increase for just about all employees (minimal but still nice).

ConsLack of communication within the organization. Often times senior management makes commitments without communicating to the project staff. Work-life balance is preached as a critical component to success, but rarely is it practiced or accepted. The company was built with a good old boys mentality, so senior management will anoint a "chosen one". If you're it, you can really do no wrong. Promotions based on merit don't really exist. More who you know, then how well you perform. You will need to fight for anything more than a marginal raise. A-type personalities thrive. Generally you are considered "successful" if you can force your will upon someone else (i.e. yelling at a subcontractor).

Advice to Senior ManagementThe sink or swim mentality needs to be changed. Just because Turner is 100+ years old, doesn't mean changes aren't good for the organization. NYC should take cues from other Turner offices - older doesn't mean better. Put more faith in the younger generation - they are the future of the industry and organization.

Mixed feelings, many changes over past few years

Mep Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsBest reputation in industry. Some great experts. Flexibility is available, if you request it. If you are passionate about construction, there is no better place to start.

ConsBogged down with politics, bureaucracy, red tape. People are transferred often, and when you transfer, you start all over again, it is almost like changing companies. To get ahead you must have a sponsor. Some of the old school values still apply, come early/leave late. Not enough focus on results and productivity. Work/life balance and flexibility come at a steep price, and workload remains the same.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking about caring about people, start showing it.

Great Place

TSE (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe best place you will ever work, if you are a good fit.

ConsType A people only. Thats not really a con though IMO.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, keep up the good work.

Worked for Turner Construction? Contribute to the Community!