Turner Construction

Turner Construction Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Turner Construction President and CEO Peter J. Davoren

Peter J. Davoren

Pros
  • Stress work/life balance but expect you to be available on vacations/time off (in 11 reviews)

• Depending on your boss, are very willing to help you move forward in the company (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is preached as a critical component to success, but rarely is it practiced or accepted (in 12 reviews)

• Long hours - usually expected to work a minimum of 50 hours a week, causing work-life balance to suffer (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Engineer from Top 10 Undergrad

Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

Proscollegiate environment, marquee projects, lifetime learning

ConsA small but sizable number of duds

Advice to Senior ManagementAdd team-based projects, case studies, and other key differentiators to the interview process

Good company to develop your career in construction management

Project Manager (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsTop builder in the nation and many options to develop your career

ConsBureaucratic procedures create difficulty to do your work

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on improving on fair / equal treatment to all employees

Great Place for People Interested in the Industry

Engineer (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Good atmosphere, surrounded by talented professionals

ConsPaperwork tends to creep up on you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great experience for people interested in construction.

Field Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsEmployees are all very knowledgeable and willing to help.
    Excellent mix of office work and field work which offers a different view of things.

ConsCan sometimes be too much paperwork, but very manageable.

Internship

ProsGreat experience for anyone interested in construction

ConsThere is lots of paperwork

Good experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsTurner is a huge company nation and worldwide. They pay well, good benefits, and fun group of younger people.

ConsThey tend to have favorites and not good at working together as a family team environment. You don't really have a say in this company unless you've been around for 10 plus years. For example, you might be on a different project without a choice the next week.

Advice to Senior ManagementI recommend listening to the newer employees and building a better work environment for everyone. Plus, training needs to be done the same way every time. Everyone has their own way of doing things, which can make it difficult to work with.

Great Atmosphere and great people

Project Manager (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsAwesome people great environment. Always there to help you. Management wanted you to excel and move up and prepares you for it. I was part of the smaller projects division it was a lot of fun and my managers and associates were helpful. I enjoyed the smaller environment because i could get closer to all the other interns and associates.

ConsThere was a lot of waiting for clients to call back.

Advice to Senior Managementmake interns have a more active role.

Intern

Proslarge industry, good employer for interns

Conssuccess dependent on what business unit you work with

Great Internship!

Intern (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Pros-These are some of the most welcoming and affable people I have ever worked with
    -They surround their interns with hoards of experience and resources
    -They pay higher than most construction internships
    -They value the fact that their interns are still students and understand it is a learning experience
    -They have a developed program for interns and will assign mentors to foster creativity and give structure
    -They are a very large and professional business that is feels corporate at times, but the people make it seem lighten the work place with their welcoming and team mentalities.
    -They take advantage of advanced technology and implement green building and lean construction into every single one of their projects.

Cons-It is a corporate company; therefore, there is a large totem pole to climb
    -Expected to work long hours, but that is also due to the industry's labor intensive qualities and needs.

Advice to Senior Management-require more of the office staff to visit the job site to become more connected to the projects they are working on.
    -have a common space for individuals to relax and reboot their minds

A very good experience, I recommend this employer

Project Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsRewarding career, prestigious projects, stable company

ConsRelocation for a new job might be necessary

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on improving Turner's international presence

Worked for Turner Construction? Contribute to the Community!