Turning Point

Updated November 13, 2014
2.1

Turning Point Chief Executive Lord Victor Adebowale
Lord Victor Adebowale

Disappointing. A non-profit, Christian organization that shows favoritism in their "family" business.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeside, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lakeside, CA

I worked at Turning Point full-time

Pros

The general staff are great! Good Christian atmosphere with nice perks such as an occasional lunch provided. Beautiful facility, wonderful reception area and receptionists. Nice lunchroom and kitchen. Impressive warehouse.

Cons

Appearances seem to be of most importance. Fairness to staff not always considered. Favoritism played. Very cliquish and a bit "high and mighty" in upper management. Snooty.

Give equal respect and consideration to ALL employees. HR must be careful to not turn gossipy and talk about others - very un-Christian-like behavior! Be better communicators. Favoritism is very apparent to most staff - consider working on building trust and respect from your employees.

charity

Current Employee - Internship in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Internship in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Turning Point part-time (more than an year)

Pros

really great group of generous people

Cons

really none unless that everybody is too nice

just try to realize we dont have to be here

Worst Work Experience of My Life - Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Community in Manchester, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Community in Manchester, England (UK)

I worked at Turning Point full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Staff and community partners were wonderful.

Cons

Really incompetent voluntary sector managers and directors, playing at being business leaders. CEO who lacks accountability and an aggressive HR department. My director was typical voluntary sector box ticker didn't have a clue how to get the best out of people and felt it OK to lie to commissioners, if projects were not going well. The word collaborative working was all over the initiative but he failed to grasp what this actually meant in real terms. This was Wall Street ethics from a charity who was try to 'transform communities'. A project I joined which had been in limbo for two years, when I joined it moved forward very quickly and partners and stakeholders commented how relieved they were I had arrived. Flexible working was required for myself as I was a single parent living in another city, but was not given in real terms and used against me to build a case to sack me. They did it before six weeks probation was up. I wish I had taken them to a tribunal. This was the first time in my working life I had ever experienced discrimination in the workplace, I now know why we have policy's in place to penalise it. They guy is now a CEO of another charity, who of course will have no knowledge of his prior work tactics.

In my case you oversaw and allowed discrimination, and you knowingly did nothing. Your challenge is to understand that company values are something more than words emblazoned on your walls.

Do not work there if you validate integrity

Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Turning Point full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Leading a small team means I could get my hand dirty and learn new systems for my new job.

Cons

If you are not protected by your manger then you are gone. The leaders there are like use car salesman and there is nothing anybody can do about it. The last honest manager went in 2013, walked out of the office in dishonour. If you would like to learn new skills then go to Turning Point but wash your back because they will try to stab you many times.

Need to be a clearout at the top if Turning Point would be viable in the next five years. No senior manager seems to care about the reputation of Turning Point anymore and those who care have been got rid off. New CEO, New Board, New Managers that is what is needed or otherwise the social enterprise aspireations will not succeed.

A 'Charity'?

I worked at Turning Point full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Front line workers and some central staff were passionate about the stated goals and vision of the organisation and really cared about the clients too.

Cons

You'd struggle to find integrity as a watchword at the top of the chain. Mobbing, bullying, managers being thrown under the bus, leaders striving to cut each other up or work people out of the... erm 'Charity', is no sign of a progressive company.

Cultural programmes can't mask the poor leadership, the lack of accountability and the lack of interest in the lives of employees when decent people keep getting worked out of the place. How many more individuals have to be wounded before management appreciates it can't say it turns the lives of its clients around while turning the lives of its employees upside down? "Be true to thine own self".

Ashamed to say I work there

Current Employee - Private in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Private in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Turning Point as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

The front-line workers are passionate about what they do, and so are the few good leaders who get sacked instead of rewarded.

Cons

The Senior Management 'Club' is alive and thriving. The company lost its way many years ago and many cultural programs have failed to hide the low values and ethics which exist in the club. Anyone who does not fit in is fired and walked out of the building.

CRI started ten years' ago, is equal to the company in turnover but with more cash in the bank. The day the company stop destroyed peoples careers, and start being honest to itself, will be the day Turning Point starts performing well. I'm not holding my breath.

A very mixed experience

Former Employee - Project Worker in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Project Worker in London, England (UK)

I worked at Turning Point full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Turning Point do some great work and you definitely feel like you are contributing to something positive. The contract terms are fairly generous. They have some great managers and also some great staff. When you are left to get on with your job, and all is running smoothly, it is a great place to work.

Cons

Staff who leave are not replaced, leaving others to take up the shortfall. As soon as something slides out of place, the whole service, and the frontline staff who run it, are left to flounder, which is damaging to employees and unfortunate for service users.

Your staff are loyal and hardworking - this does not mean they should be left to sort out messes that are caused by lack of funding or structural changes.

unprofessional avoid

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Turning Point full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I had the unfortunate experience of working for turning point in one of their projects. During this time staff were bullied by the manager and worked in a state of distress. Supervision and work under this person was controlling and victimising. I cannot think of a single pro of working there. Poor clients were controlled by the managers whims and senior management did not take complaints seriously.

Cons

unprofessional, abusive, bullying and hazardous to employee and subsequently client health and welfare. Avoid working for turning point at all costs. The do not know what they are doing, this manger thought they owned their staff and they were their personal property.

monitor project managers properly and support project staff, Do not employ untrained unskilled, unwell and deluded people to run your projects!

Responsive social care organization with good progression prospects

I worked at Turning Point full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good training opportunities with opportunities for progression if you are prepared to work hard.
    Good management and central department support

Cons

Cross sector working could be improved

Try to anticipate and respond to market changes as swiftly as possible

Best place to work.

I worked at Turning Point

Pros

Small agency where everyone cared for one another.

Cons

Not much room for advancement.

Turning Point was a great place to work and the staff were great as well. They really cared for the clients that they served.