Turning Stone Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
1.0
Ray Halbritter

1. Benefits are the only positive.

Current Employee - Casino in Verona, NY
    Current Employee - Casino in Verona, NY

I have been working at Turning Stone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are the only reason most people stay employed here. Friendly co workers.

Cons

Management really don't care about what you say even though employees are actually doing the work. Management doesn't know anything about the actual work involved. Facilities is very poorly managed. Not paid well enough compared to other companies. Dealers are treated with much disrespect. Cigarette smoke is overwhelming at times. Wallpaper is put in heavily steamed and hot environments causing severe black mold underneath. Was told that if state Fire Marshall went through they would be shut down but, Indian nation runs by their own rules.

Advice to Management

Let employees share their ideas, give appreciation to your employees, let them know they are an essential to the company and not just an expendable part of it. Don't be so secretive about projects or inner workings of your department. When employees are made to feel involved they do their work better.

2. Awful place to work

Former Employee - Concession Attendant in Oriskany, NY
    Former Employee - Concession Attendant in Oriskany, NY

I worked at Turning Stone part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing fellow employees they become like a second family

Cons

You are just a number, stressful environment, never appreciated or backed up by management, can't get time off and work every holiday, if you are asian you get special treatment

3. Worst Job I Ever Had

Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Verona, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Accountant in Verona, NY

I worked at Turning Stone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Coffee, Discounted Lunches. Pizza was good.

Cons

-Accounting Managers don't have the background to support their title. -Middle managers are allowed to bully recently onboarded staff while upper management looks the other way. -There are no dress down days. -They require that you park far from the building and take their bus from the parking lot to the building, which adds between 1/2 hour to 45 mins on to your commute. -Excessive 90 day waiting period for health insurance coverage (being from Boston, I wasn't aware that companies were allowed to not offer health insurance coverage starting the 1st day of employment) -They take full advantage of their middle of nowhere location. -Employees are stuck dealing with whatever they dish out including well below average pay, because this is the only job within a 50 mile radius.

Advice to Management

I was terminated in less than 60 days because of dirty office politics by an incompetent "Accounting Manager." This person literally had it out for me from day one. She was constantly trying to make me look bad. Fire unqualified "Accounting Managers" and value those who are capable of doing the job well more than who is well liked within the group.

Salaried employee outside of the Casino

Current Employee - Salaried In Enterprises in Vernon, NY
    Current Employee - Salaried In Enterprises in Vernon, NY

I have been working at Turning Stone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Medical and dental, 401K, PTO (for full time and salaried)

Cons

Medical benefits keep rising each year and the pay does not. Pay is NOT industry standard and raises do NOT happen. If they do happen they are only between 1-3% helps cover the new expenses for insurance. No room for advancement or pay incentives/increases! Does not listen to any advise from employees on projects.

Advice to Management

Management is less qualified than their employees who actually have college degrees for what they went to school for. Management doesn't understand the business they're trying to develop. They create projects that make no income for the business and has a demeanor that they're the boss and can do everything, but you cannot.

They work you to death, you have to deal with a lot of customers who are jerks.

I worked at Turning Stone full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cheap food that isn't bad. You get a paycheck. You get decent discounts sometimes. Do have some classes that you can take that may help you with your job.

Cons

Very monotonous job. When you walk in the employee entrance you notice over half the employees are in an awful mood. Probably because of too much workplace politics, and being overworked by management. In reality Turning Stone is the revenue center for the Oneida Nation's political activities, although it does provide money for their community and other essential. Managers often

Advice to Management

The first day you walk in for training you are told to smile more. Well many of us are in stressful situations and depending on your manager you might be second guessed all the time, adding to the stress, add to this lack of sleep at times, and below average pay. This makes for an awful environment. Also leave your employees out of the political battles the Oneida Nation engages in, we simply don't care, and most of us oppose it.

7. The experience at Turning Stone is horrible.

I have been working at Turning Stone full-time

Pros

Other than benefits, there are truly none that I personally can speak of.

Cons

The "business" is run more like a high school and different departments leaders will try to keep employees in that department with false write ups.

Advice to Management

Get some new management who are actual professionals in the area of business and not just people fresh out of college. Raise your standards and I'm sure you could benefit from it.

Sweat Shop

Former Employee - Poker Dealer in Verona, NY
    Former Employee - Poker Dealer in Verona, NY

I worked at Turning Stone full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The casino took everything from their employees.

Cons

Everything and they stole tips from employees

Advice to Management

The guest is everything, the employee means nothing.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Verona, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Verona, NY

I worked at Turning Stone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The position I was in held a fair hourly wage for the area, however my managers reminded me on a fairly regular basis that "payroll" took too much out of the departments budget, and my hours were taken by lesser paid employees. However, I have found that there is great team effort between employees at the same level.

Cons

Long hours, supervisors forget to give breaks or chose not to (I have waited up to 45 minutes to use the restroom), poor planning and scheduling by management. There is a huge storage issue for each department, supplies could be extremely far away which causes customer service to slow down. Management can be verbally rude and boarding abusive, degrading employees an treating everyone as children. It is near impossible to advance. Most managers and supervisors have a lower education level than most of the people they oversea. Many higher positions are also filled by people from outside the area and state. Interviews are unprofessional and untruthful about actual job conditions. Customers can be rude and disrespectful, and also destroy and steal items from the grounds.

Terrible work environment

I have been working at Turning Stone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are really no pros to working at this place...unless your stuck in the area and are in desperate need of a job.

Cons

They will promise you everything to get you through the door. Management, especially supervisors of various outlets are awful and very inexperienced. It''s a very negative work environment and employees are just angry all the time.

RSS Feed </> Embed