Turning Stone

Updated August 19, 2014
Updated August 19, 2014
2.5

Ray Halbritter

Salaried employee outside of the Casino

Current Employee - Salaried In Enterprises  in  Vernon, NY
    Current Employee - Salaried In Enterprises in Vernon, NY

I have been working at Turning Stone full-time for more than a year

Pros

Medical and dental, 401K, PTO (for full time and salaried)

Cons

Medical benefits keep rising each year and the pay does not.
    Pay is NOT industry standard and raises do NOT happen. If they do happen they are only between 1-3% helps cover the new expenses for insurance.
    No room for advancement or pay incentives/increases!
    Does not listen to any advise from employees on projects.

Management is less qualified than their employees who actually have college degrees for what they went to school for. Management doesn't understand the business they're trying to develop. They create projects that make no income for the business and has a demeanor that they're the boss and can do everything, but you cannot.

They work you to death, you have to deal with a lot of customers who are jerks.

I worked at Turning Stone full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cheap food that isn't bad. You get a paycheck. You get decent discounts sometimes. Do have some classes that you can take that may help you with your job.

Cons

Very monotonous job. When you walk in the employee entrance you notice over half the employees are in an awful mood. Probably because of too much workplace politics, and being overworked by management.
    In reality Turning Stone is the revenue center for the Oneida Nation's political activities, although it does provide money for their community and other essential.
    Managers often

The first day you walk in for training you are told to smile more. Well many of us are in stressful situations and depending on your manager you might be second guessed all the time, adding to the stress, add to this lack of sleep at times, and below average pay. This makes for an awful environment.
    Also leave your employees out of the political battles the Oneida Nation engages in, we simply don't care, and most of us oppose it.

The experience at Turning Stone is horrible.

I have been working at Turning Stone full-time

Pros

Other than benefits, there are truly none that I personally can speak of.

Cons

The "business" is run more like a high school and different departments leaders will try to keep employees in that department with false write ups.

Get some new management who are actual professionals in the area of business and not just people fresh out of college. Raise your standards and I'm sure you could benefit from it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sweat Shop

Former Employee - Poker Dealer  in  Verona, NY
    Former Employee - Poker Dealer in Verona, NY

I worked at Turning Stone full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The casino took everything from their employees.

Cons

Everything and they stole tips from employees

The guest is everything, the employee means nothing.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate  in  Verona, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Verona, NY

I worked at Turning Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The position I was in held a fair hourly wage for the area, however my managers reminded me on a fairly regular basis that "payroll" took too much out of the departments budget, and my hours were taken by lesser paid employees. However, I have found that there is great team effort between employees at the same level.

Cons

Long hours, supervisors forget to give breaks or chose not to (I have waited up to 45 minutes to use the restroom), poor planning and scheduling by management. There is a huge storage issue for each department, supplies could be extremely far away which causes customer service to slow down. Management can be verbally rude and boarding abusive, degrading employees an treating everyone as children. It is near impossible to advance. Most managers and supervisors have a lower education level than most of the people they oversea. Many higher positions are also filled by people from outside the area and state. Interviews are unprofessional and untruthful about actual
    job conditions. Customers can be rude and disrespectful, and also destroy and steal items from the grounds.

Terrible work environment

I have been working at Turning Stone full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are really no pros to working at this place...unless your stuck in the area and are in desperate need of a job.

Cons

They will promise you everything to get you through the door. Management, especially supervisors of various outlets are awful and very inexperienced. It''s a very negative work environment and employees are just angry all the time.

Employee are family

Current Employee - Black Jack Dealer  in  Verona, NY
    Current Employee - Black Jack Dealer in Verona, NY

I have been working at Turning Stone part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pros – Good team work depending on the department you're in. Usually will work with your schedule. Decent benefits.

Cons

Benefits for part time employees are slim, including PTO. Rarely get pay raises or incentives even if you have worked there a long time or have good reviews. Required to work weekends and most holidays. Don't offer sick days and will take away PTO days if you call in. Rarely encourages personal growth or doesn't give the means to do so. Not very concerned with the health of their employees or how the job duties affect the health of their employees.

– Offer more incentives to work. Give annual raises. Give sick days and more PTO days.

F&B Review

I worked at Turning Stone

Pros

The company provides Good benefits

Cons

Not much room for advancement

No raises

Former Employee - Reservations
    Former Employee - Reservations

I worked at Turning Stone for more than 3 years

Pros

It was a job. They gave us some free perks, like a hotel stay and massages to review. As well as prizes like gas card, pedicure, etc... for winning monthly challenges. Some coworkers were nice, but it was very gossipy.

Cons

There have been little to no raises in recent years. It seems like they spent the money on a parade float for the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade and the new addition of Exit 33 instead of giving raises to lower level employees (some managers still received raises). A lot of people were upset about that, and the good employees either gave up trying or left.

There were little opportunities for career advancement.

The management micromanages and rarely backs you up if a guest has a problem. It seemed like they would rather give the guest anything they want to shut them up than follow the rules the rep had been advising the guest of. Also departments are more than happy to take the word of the guest over other departments and blame the other department. It happened many times where the guest was confused or straight out lied about what they were advised of. They normally got what they wanted even if the reservation was noted to the contrary. Turn over is high. The offices are very small and gossipy.

Back up reps and start doing annual raises again for everyone not just management.

Revenue Audit Supervisor

I have been working at Turning Stone

Pros

Get exposure to all types of accounting. Most of finance is friendly. 1 hour paid lunch. Get to work with a wide range of people.

Cons

If you don't have a CPA there is no future for you. Long, long hours for salaried employees. 4 managers in less than a year due to turn over. After 10 years might as well start looking for a new job. Manage people that get paid more than me. Constant turn over guaranteed every 6-8 months.

Try to keep the people that have given the company 10-20 years of their life. What is the point in working for a company if there is no stability.

Turning Stone Photos

T S Property

+ Add Photo

Worked for Turning Stone? Contribute to the Community!