Turning Technologies

Mike Broderick

Developer's View

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Youngstown, OH
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Youngstown, OH

I have been working at Turning Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I don't know about the other departments, but the software teams are VERY nurturing and phenomenal places to learn. The web team implements great coding standards, modern frameworks and concepts, and are very helpful to one another. QA is a joy to work with, almost always friendly people over there who will help you as long as you aren't rude and condescending. Apple team is already experimenting with Swift and has awesome people behind their products. Windows team could probably do with a conversion over to C#, but there is such a giant code base there I don't see it being worth their time. If you like VB.Net, there is little to not like here.

Agile is followed... somewhat well. This goes into the cons a bit, planning could be a bit better here.

As a developer, this is a phenomenal place to come and learn and grow. We just now broke into the cloud and are focusing on learning scalable architecture and it's fascinating stuff to someone who never got taught about architecture in school.

The products we are developing now and in the future are going to be what breathes new life into this company. It already has begun.

Cons

Project Planning still needs a lot of work. Timelines could be utilized in JIRA. Some time for personal research would go a long way for happier (and more productive) developers, although I hear this is typical outside of the release rush we just went through.

Give developers 4 or 5 hours a week to experiment with different ideas, concepts, frameworks, etc. It will go a long way to creating a high quality product.

Company with great potential, currently being wasted.

I have been working at Turning Technologies full-time

Pros

-Friendly work environment
    -For entry level, this place is a gold mine. One can get a lot of experience across the board by simply rubbing elbows.
    -Everyone (at least from my experience) is very approachable, especially in regard to learning about their duties and their position.

Cons

-Communication. There is none.
    -Product planning. Again, there are no concrete plans or requirements and this puts development teams on their heels constantly as they attempt to create products while executives and management are constantly yelling buzzwords at them. At some point, you have to stop trying to add features and clearly define what you want the product to be.
    -Benefits are expensive and sub-par, especially for those employees with families.
    -Promotions and pay raises are constantly being delayed, or simply not talked about.
    -Decisions that affect the employees are not communicated until the 11th hour.

1. Get your act together. You have the makings of a very strong and profitable company, act like it.
    2. Get organized. Right now your development teams have no idea of when, or what, products are to be released. They do not even know what functionality and features those products are supposed to have, as no requirements are ever communicated.
    3. For the love of God, learn to use JIRA.

Great start up at the time, now a great mid-sized company in Youngstown

I worked at Turning Technologies

Pros

Great place to work, very happy.

Cons

Can not think of any.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is a company in steep decline.

Former Employee - Anonymous  in  Youngstown, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Youngstown, OH

I worked at Turning Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can get a good start here with little more than a sugar coated resume. The are a few exceptional players here. If you like golf cliques and can focus on ego boosting you will go far.

Cons

Disruptive upper executives. Not disruptive products. 25% of the work force walked off in Q1 - 2014. Arizona office closed in June. Little thought in product offering outside of the packaging. Retribution for those who suggest that the product needs "more thought."

Scale down and eliminate your long distance executive. They should pay state wage tax like everyone else.

Stop writing your own glass door 5 star reviews M. and T.. Your writing style is obvious.

Best place to work in Youngstown

Current Employee - Sales  in  Youngstown, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Youngstown, OH

I have been working at Turning Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In 7 years I have received at least a decent raise nearly every year and 2 promotions. I started at entry-level and am now middle management making a great living for the Mahoning Valley. Best products in the industry and an outstanding organization as well. Our customers generally are very loyal and committed. Our products actually help dedicated educators teach and help students learn. That leaves you going home feeling good about yourself. Lots of innovation is happening all the time. I can actually walk in the CEO's office when he isn't already in a meeting and he will always make time for me. With 300 employees, that kind of accessibility is rare.

Cons

As in most places there are always a few gossips and naysayers. They should just move on. I like coming to work and if you don't you should work somewhere else. For some I guess the big con is that you actually have to work hard for this good living and chances are you will be measured against the productivity of your peers.

Sometimes you leave dead wood in place too long.

Has potential.

I have been working at Turning Technologies

Pros

Some good leaders.
    Good individual team players (not really a plus, is it?)
    Great IT team :)
    Pretty plush office building.

Cons

Lack of vertical or horizontal communication.
    Juvenile procedures & processes.
    Took over more than what it can handle.
    Not walking the talk.
    Disintegrated enterprise, No cross functional synergy.

Convert individual player into team players.

Huge opportunities for those willing to put forth the effort

I have been working at Turning Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love the ability have an impact in education. The company is very agile and can adapt to customer needs quickly. They are forward thinking and reward those that are able to execute. There are huge opportunities for growth if you are willing to do the work. If you have a can do attitude and can work well with others you might be a good fit. I have never had so many holidays! The PTO plan is great. The company is very transparent and the CEO has an open door policy.

Cons

If you are inflexible, this is not the place for you. Because the company is large enough to have the budgets to respond to market needs, but small enough to actually make quick turns and execute, there are always new projects and challenges. There can be quite a bit of travel depending on position.

Continue to listen to your employees. Deal with those that are negative and impeding progress quickly.

It has been a great place to work for over 6 years...

I have been working at Turning Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay compared to Youngstown, Ohio, reward initiative, I have creativity freedom, management has a real vision for the future. Treatment is fair. Yes accountability is required but for those of us who are willing to work hard and be dedicated, that is a good thing. Business is good, sales are way up over last year which was a growth year as well. We now have a strong large suite of products that continues to grow. While much of our competition has struggled, even crumbled through a challenging market, Turning has established itself as a real leader. It is fun to be part of that.

Cons

There are a few people that are chronically negative and run in cliques. Some of the things I have read on this site couldn't be farther from the truth. I am wondering where they go to work every day because I love my job and the have a lot of respect for the people I work for. A few years ago, we sold clickers when that part of our business was booming and all sales people had to do was to take orders. Some of the people who were here then haven't been able to make the transition to having to go out and sell products. But that is what sales is. They need to wake up. Our employee turnover has been higher over the last year than it had been, but is still in line with the Fortune 500. Many of those that left needed to because they couldn't transition to working in a much larger organization where work is expected and accountability is required.

Great staff meeting last week. You need to do much more of that type of communication to make the few negative people here look absolutely ridiculous.

Innovative place to work. A company with a future.

I have been working at Turning Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of good dedicated people. Great products. A company that knows where it is going. Very competitive compensation for the area we live.

Cons

Communications could be better. Too many cliques. A small handful of negative people seem dedicated to sour the overall attitude. Improving communication is already putting them in their place.

Keep communicating! We need to hear about our successes in the marketplace.

All the joy I once had working for this company has been killed.

I have been working at Turning Technologies full-time for less than a year

Pros

There's a paycheck involved. I wish there were more good things to say about this company but there really aren't.

Cons

Communication is non-existent and we were told not to bring that up anymore because it's already been brought up enough. If that's the case, why has nothing been done about it? The benefits are sorely lacking and pay is below the national average. Turnover, especially recently, has been very high. Short term memory lapses among upper management is distressing. Decisions being made that have a direct impact on lower level employees are very uneducated. Quite a few people I know are actively seeking new jobs and all I can do is root them on hoping they find something quickly. A very uncomfortable environment to work in.

Start thinking outside the spreadsheets - start listening to your employees instead of running anyone who disagrees with you out the door.

Worked for Turning Technologies? Contribute to the Community!