Turnitin Reviews

Chris Caren

Great overall

Current Employee - Turnitin Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Turnitin Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work with generally good consideration toward employee moral. There's snacks and drinks (non-alcoholic), and fruits. Top-level staff sometimes get lunch served for lunch-meetings, or engineering releases. Everyone else gets excited for the left overs.

Cons

It's not a big problem, but there's a perception of an unspoken or hidden power struggle going on at the highest levels which causes tension and then that trickles down to regular staff. This leads to rumors and uncertainty, but so far it hasn't been a big deal.
    More concerning is the fact that there is only 1 female VP, out of the 9 total. Also, the ethnic representation at that level is limited.

I realize it's not easy to find a qualified VP (of any gender or ethnicity) and focusing on a specific gender or ethnicity makes it more of a challenge. Nevertheless, in an ideal world, there would be more female representation at that level, and more ethnic.

Advice to Management

Change is good but too much of a good thing isn't always.
    The company is going through many changes and it needs to stabilize. This doesn't mean it needs to slow down its growth, but I think that there are some people trying to do everything on their own, instead of delegating and trusting others with that responsibility, or hiring the right people to help. It's not scalable to even allow a few people to do or control everything. They need to be told or even forced to let go of the reins a little and let others do it.

By the way, most employees feel Chris Caren is really good. Keep it up.

Jun 8, 2015CEO

Really valuable feedback -- much appreciated. I personally would love to see more diversity in our leadership (gender and ethnicity) and am/will be focused on this going forward ... I also think it ... More

2. Poor engineering management

I worked at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible & casual work environment, fairly fun

Good energy and working relationships

Making a positive difference in education

Great location in downtown Oakland, convenient for BART and not too unsafe if you're ok with occasional protests/marches

Cons

Engineering management doesn't know what they're doing and they don't listen

Poor teamwork/cooperation with IT & ops

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, esp. those who know what they are doing

Build around your stars

Don't go for the quick buck

Jun 22, 2015CEO

Appreciate the feedback. Agreed that engineering management has needed upleveling, and our new eng+ops leader is very focused on materially improving the management layer, how strategy is set, how ... More

3. Software Enigineer

I have been working at Turnitin

Pros

Excellent culture. Great product. Everyone is super friendly and passionate about what they do,

Cons

Going through the pains of growth. Using old technologies in some places.

5. An East Bay gem | A terrific company

Current Employee - Marketing in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time

Pros

Hires competent, smart, nice people. Between the great perks, benefits and location, and competitive salaries, there is very low turnover. Talented, productive, fun and well-respected marketing team. Although the bar is set high for performance, they are flexible with schedules and family-friendly. Exciting to be a part of a successful and growing global company, but also to make a positive impact on education.

Cons

A mostly introverted culture, but they are trying to make it more social and fun. Growth of corporate policies. It has outgrown its office space. A male dominated executive team.

Advice to Management

Reluctance to promote employees to more senior levels.

Jun 8, 2015CEO

Thanks for the feedback. I, like you, want to see a more diverse leadership team, and less importantly (but still important) a great new office next year in the Pandora building. Appreciate the ... More

6. Great Place

I have been working at Turnitin

Pros

Flexible, good environment, fun people, good benefits.

Very stable, very safe, profitable company with a solid, growing business.

Cons

It can be sort of like a fun version of the DMV -- the business model is closer to slow moving and bureaucratic than cutting edge and innovative.

Advice to Management

As we grow, foster side projects, new products, and a startup environment

Jun 8, 2015CEO

I totally agree that we need to do all we can to foster the innovative, start-up culture and focus of a smaller company ... encouraging new initiatives and making sure we are open to new ideas across ... More

Not Many Complaints

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A product that everyone loves. Cold calling is easy, when they know what the company is, and an idea of what we do.

Cons

Can seem corporate at times. The entire office is eerily quiet. Changing roles and career development seem limited at times.

Advice to Management

Not much. Great management, good direction. I would recommend more hiring in other departments from within, or promoting from within. A lot of outside managers and senior people being hired while there are qualified people from within.

Jun 8, 2015CEO

I agree we need to do a better job of promoting from within ... we have a super talented group of people with us, and I'd rather bet on them vs. go outside whenever possible. I also want to keep the ... More

8. The best company I've ever worked for!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Benefit, Decent Salary, Great company culture, Great people, Company promotes the work-life balance of the employee.

Cons

Not that I can think of now.

9. Awesome Ed Tech Company with great products and great people!

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity for growth, fun and spirited people who want to see you succeed, great office perks (free food, drinks!), free massages, gym, and more! Open communication, great culture who values volunteering an family life/work/life balance, young and hip feel, great product with lots of happy customers!

Cons

Not much! Except for more perks for field sales folks!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Management works hard to try to connect people, get input and feedback. A mentor program might be beneficial, aligning successful folks who have been here awhile with newbies.

May 6, 2015CEO

Agree on both of your points. We should find a way to give some of the same office perks to people in our field team -- will follow-up with HR on this. On your second point, we are actually rolling ... More

10. Team Sales Manager

Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Turnitin's Software as a Service helps Educational Instructors help improve Student writing skills. We have been on the market for over 10 years and are the leading manufacturer in our market. Our Brand Awareness is very good. Teachers know of Turnitin from prior usage at other schools. This makes our job in sales much easier. We have plenty of leads and interest in among the schools. We deliver our own customer demo's after qualifying the opportunity to make sure they have the funding. We are getting ready to release a new product line that will help us capture additional revenue within the Education Market.

Cons

My team handles the Secondary Education market where Budget Availability is an issue. Most Public Schools have lack of financial resources which means qualifying on budget availability a key to managing your forecast.

Advice to Management

Continue to help identify Grant Programs and other areas of monies for the Public Secondary Education Market.

11. Great people, great culture

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Turnitin full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A fun welcoming group. Everyone is willing to help. There are lots of interesting problems to solve, but the work/life balance is great.

Cons

There's some technical baggage the company has to deal with. In the past, although this is rapidly changing, sales and features took priority over stability and architecture.

May 6, 2015CEO

We are all about spending money now to modernize our core technology where needed -- agree it needs to be a focus area. Between start of last year and end of this year we plan to more than double ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed