Turtle & Hughes

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014
2.1

Jayne Millard

Take this company with a grain of salt

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Turtle & Hughes full-time

Pros

Solid benefits package, casual/laid back work environment, not overly difficult tasks at hand, generally good job security, most upper level management knows their mid to lower level employees by name or face. Turtle & Hughes is looking financially very strong with recent acquisitions. The ESOP package is a wonderful incentive as employees do not contribute any out of pocket.

Cons

Constrictive pay roll, most employees are grossly underpaid and very disgruntled. You can always hear the gossip about the employees talking about their meager wages (which I cannot blame), way too much nepotism as everyone is related or friends of someone of management. The average employee faces little to no job growth and opportunity as I've personally seen employees here with 20+ years under their belts that are in the same position collecting dust and being rewarded with insignificant raises. TONS of office drama and immaturity that runs rampant, especially at the Houston branch.

Stop promoting and outsourcing incompetent individuals. Upper management loves bringing in their hand puppets with huge salaries while life long employees fight for the remains. Actually perform employee reviews to weed out the slackers. I've seen far too many good employees hit the chopping block while floaters have prospered.

Bridgewater NJ branch is a complete joke

Former Employee - Warehouse  in  Bridgewater, NJ
    Former Employee - Warehouse in Bridgewater, NJ

I worked at Turtle & Hughes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great benefits, 401k, ESOP(if an employee actually makes it there for more than a week)

Cons

Where to begin? First of all I had been here three years without a single raise in pay, after begging for a raise which I deserved they gave me a .35 cent raise. The warehouse is a revolving door for employees, never in my life working for warehouse companies have I seen people get hired and quit their first day more than I have here. Management treats it's employees like dogs. Sales gets all the glory(and pay) while the meaningless back breakers that pick, package, and ship their orders get treated like complete dirt. People get fired for ridiculous reasons sometimes, and when asked for help on shifts they always say they are constantly "hiring" or "looking." Not to mention the VP of logistics whose name we can keep out TF, who constantly takes two hour meetings to berate his warehouse employees in a group amongst their peers. Bottom line, the founders of what used to be a small family focused company would be rolling in their graves had they known how the employees are treated. Stay away you'll thank me later.

Don't lie to prospective employees and say they will get maybe 5 hours OT a week and then be surprised when they quit after working 60/70hr weeks with no help. Nepetism has to go. The back breakers need to be compensated better maybe then you would get better performances. Stop letting your best people get away.

Horrible = Understatement

Former Employee - Clerk  in  West Point, PA
    Former Employee - Clerk in West Point, PA

I worked at Turtle & Hughes full-time for more than a year

Pros

None, when I was on-site at Merck as a clerk, the average stay for a clerk was 6 months

Cons

Everything...no potential for growth, no support from supervisors, get treated like dirt.

Get a clue about how to manage

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Discriminated, disrespected, humiliated and wrongfully terminated.

Former Employee - Crib Attendant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Crib Attendant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Turtle & Hughes full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits like medical care, dental care. Paid vacations like holidays, sick leaves. Paycheck comes in on time. Birthday bonus. Good feedback when some people would know your a Turtle & Huges employee. Generally a prominent company.

Cons

No equal opportunities to employees as stated in the employee handbook that it has. Discrimination in the work place. Managers lacking concerns on employee's well being in the work place. Unfair wages to employees. High practice of nepotism of managers.

Look in to the site/account manager's unprofessional practice and maltreatment of employees, discrimination and favoritism of employees by salary/wage rate, unreasonable termination of employees, in their respected assigned accounts or sites.

I have experienced all of these during my entire employment with the company. Never in my entire life (as an employer and employee), have I treated an employee and/or an employer treated me this way. Filing a complaint is in mind for consideration...

Foul mouthed scum hole- Lazy rude people

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Turtle & Hughes

Pros

... It's a paycheck although a sad one. I simply don't have much good to say. Clean restrooms....Occasionally a vendor will bring in a nice lunch,

Cons

Classless bunch of lazy foul mouthed people. Very hostile environment, screaming curses all the time. Badly cliquish- No one wants to do their work just want to socialize all day. Sports, what they had to drink, smoke cigarettes, flirt, inter company dating, (it's a nightmare for anyone wishing to perform well) what their plans are for the weekend. Just Atrocious. Liars at that. Simply the most unprofessional environment I have ever been sad enough to be entered into. They undermine efforts to succeed - no team work what so ever. Just come in yelling and or accusing. And if they don't have a reason to let you go, they will make one up. Everyone is CONSTANTLY complaining and grumpy, NO ONE is happy there-

I would avoid this place like the PLAGUE.

CLEAN HOUSE. Starting with HR.

Working here is stressful and frustrating.

I have been working at Turtle & Hughes

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and work well together as a team. Since it is a smaller company, you are able to get to know upper management a little.

Cons

Everybody is related to one another in some form or another. These are the people management recognizes and promote instead of the people who really break their backs for this company.

Listen to your employees when they come to you with issues instead of shrugging them off. Show some recognition for those who work hard.

Turtle & Hughes; Crib Attendent Elkhart, IN

Current Employee - Crib Attendant  in  Elkhart, IN
    Current Employee - Crib Attendant in Elkhart, IN

I have been working at Turtle & Hughes full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fantastic Benefits, work independently, great starting pay, ability to "move up" with the company. Great communication with boss. You learn a lot while working with mechanics.

Cons

Crazy hours at the main plant; 9pm-9am and 9am to 9pm. Doctors appointments are not excused, unless you are in the emergency room. It's a smaller company, only 8 people work here, so we get on eachothers nerves more often. We work contracted inside of KIK, so we are located in an aerosol company (dangerous).

Possibly review the points system. Work more closely with employees. Thank your employees once in a while, we work hard.

Good for Some

Former Employee - Manager  in  Linden, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager in Linden, NJ

I worked at Turtle & Hughes

Pros

Offers a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Little room for growth. Very much a dead-end job for most employees.

If you offer employees a bit more you'll likely get more from them and perhaps retain the better employees.

Worked for Turtle & Hughes? Contribute to the Community!