Tuskegee University

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tuskegee University President Gilbert L. Rochon

Gilbert L. Rochon

My experience was positive.

Coordinator of Animal Sciences/Assistant Professor (Former Employee) Tuskegee, AL

ProsIts location, historical significance and low cost of living.

ConsIt is a very small town.

Great School

Work Study (Current Employee) Tuskegee Institute, AL

ProsGreat Hours compared to working for a school

ConsNot enough Pay!!!! not enough opprotunity!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work..

Kart Driver/ Traffic Instructor

Traffic Instructor/Kart Driver (Former Employee) Tuskegee Institute, AL

ProsWorking with the event prepatory teams were lots of fun. Good People, lots of free time after preparations are made for the football games, then you can go get something to eat in between managing the crowds and traffic. Driving the Golf Karts were a big plus too

ConsThere was very little pay, but at least you get free T-shirts

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Heard its better now

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Tuskegee Inst, AL

ProsVery laid back, not much of load, no time constraints. coworkers are very helpful and laid pack people.

ConsWhen I was working, the management was no that great! But now heard the management is doing good job, after they got a new president- Dr.Rochon.
    If you are looking to work here, don't stay at Tuskegee, stay either in Auburn or Montgomery where school, shopping and other facilities are very good.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize work and talents of people irrespective of race. Give importance to time and get the required work done at earliest.

Tuskegee University needs to pay higher salaries to its faculty

Professor (Current Employee) Tuskegee Institute, AL

ProsThe faculty and staff at Tuskegee are wonderful people to work with. They work hard and get along well together. I have never experienced any of the dirty politics and back-biting that I hear about from colleagues at other institutions. Tuskegee is like a big family.

ConsIf my own salary is any indication, salaries at Tuskegee are very low. I would have to have a 50% raise to make the average salary for teachers of my rank in my field at four-year institutions in the Southeast. According to published salary figures for my field, 97% of US faculty in my field and holding my rank earn more than I do.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake some effort to reduce salary compression. New hires make almost as much as senior faculty who have been here decades. Tuskegee's President and Board of Trustees are very good at finding money for capital improvements. How about searching for money for endowed chairs in the various departments? This would make it easier to pay your faculty higher wages. Their current salaries are on a par with local high school teachers.

Working at Tuskegee has been a challenge.

ProsStudents are extremely respectful of customs and traditions and you feel that you are making a difference. The history of the place is inspiring.

ConsThe "old guard" is still living in the 50's and 60's. Many students are academically challenged and lack motivation to improve their lives.

Advice to Senior ManagementModernize the university. I realize that it takes money, but is a large endowment an advantage when one can clearly see that the buildings are in need of renovation?

Worked for Tuskegee University? Contribute to the Community!