Tuthill Reviews

Tom Carmazzi

1. Good company to obtain hands-on experience for engineering intern

Former Intern - Product Engineer Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Intern - Product Engineer Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tuthill as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Hands-on introduction to the fundamentals of pumps and lots of experiments;
    People there are super nice and always glad to answer my questions;
    A good choice to apply what have learned in the field of Mechanical Engineering

Cons

Sometimes the test plans are so changeable

Dec 8, 2014Director, Seismic Branding

At Tuthill we embrace change as a way of life. Although having processes in place is key to consistency and excellence, the main reason we have them is so that we can improve upon them over time ... More

2. It was confusing,lot of the machines were always breaking down and they always seemed to layoff people.

Former Employee - Mold Operator in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Mold Operator in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Tuthill

Pros

I made some really good friends there,and I like the hours and the job,just wished they could have improved things in a better way.

Cons

Worrying about machine malfunctions and running out of materials.

To please make sure employees are trained properly and have what they need to do the best job.

3. A company that is moving in the right direction but needs more focus on business

I have been working at Tuthill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome, family-like environment, from CEO to shop floor. The company encourages you to take risks and learn from the ones that do not work out. They like to develop people and promote from within when possible. Flexible work arrangements in some areas allow for a good work-life balance. Lean manufacturing challenges everyone to get better.

Cons

Lately the leadership seems more focused on touchy-feely goals that do not seem to move the business forward. Sometimes does not hold the senior leaders to the same standards their staff are being held to. Does not walk the talk. Trying to be a big company but still run it like a small company, where a few control all of the decisions.

Focus on the first and second items in your vision statement rather than the third item. Start getting some results from the corporate-driven programs like TU, don't just keep having meetings and events.

Dec 8, 2014Director, Seismic Branding

We do have a great family-like environment. Thanks for pointing that out! We are also very intentional about balancing focus on the three key areas in our Vision statement: building a great ... More

5. Long time employee

Current Employee - Office in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Office in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Tuthill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

competitive pay and benefits. Good products. Lots of good people, mostly in production and lower level office positions. Casual dress code.

Cons

Leadership seems out of touch with reality and suffer from group think. Have invested millions into Conscious Company program with no tangible results.

Open discussions up to more people than just "staff". Remember our roots and make the policies and procedures fit in a bottom up fashion. Top down approach will hurt growth.

Jun 23, 2014Director, Seismic Branding

Thanks for sharing your perspective on working at Tuthill! We often hear about the large amount of good people that work here. In fact, that's many of our employees' favorite aspects of working ... More

6. Great company to work for to get experience out of college

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at Tuthill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are awesome to interact with on a daily basis. The company invests in internal training for all employees that is starting to show dividends in the interactions with each other which makes projects fun. The company is globally diverse so offsite meetings are a blast to learn new cultures. There is a lot to learn about lean and the processes that Tuthill has. Getting to know the corporate decision makers is very rewarding in a company of this size.

Cons

The lack of training personnel to gain knowledge is a drawback. Some individuals lack motivation. Career development can be somewhat stagnant. Emotion and egos get into some projects which is a deterrent to continuous improvement.

Practice what you preach as you are the leaders and whom others look to. Keep up the RL training as it is paying off.

Jun 23, 2014Director, Seismic Branding

Thanks for this recommendation and for highlighting our opportunity to improve in the area of training. We're actively working on a new program called Tuthill University that will help us to fill ... More

7. IT was a great learning experience

Former Employee - IT Support in Alsip, IL
    Former Employee - IT Support in Alsip, IL

I worked at Tuthill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's an opportunity to work with varies Technologies

Cons

Learn Manufacturing while providing IT Support

Jun 23, 2014Director, Seismic Branding

Thanks for your recommendation! Because of our small size Tuthill employees get to wear many hats. This allows folks to gain well rounded experience in their field of expertise and beyond.

8. This is the worst management skills I have experienced in my twenty years in manufacturing.

Former Employee - CNC Operator in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - CNC Operator in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Tuthill full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good wages and benefits. Clean workplace

Cons

One sided management and unfair treatment of employees.

Stop managing in politics

9. A process-based company rooted in an authentic conscious company culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burr Ridge, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burr Ridge, IL

I have been working at Tuthill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Authentic people and culture, everyone is seen as a leader, wonderful work-life balance, great benefits and competitive comp. Tuthill leadership is very tuned in to the wants of employees at all levels within the organization. Alignment throughout the organization is A+.

Cons

Lacking innovation in manufacturing new products, little visibility to end-user feedback because of distribution channel barriers, lack of consistent training on core processes

10. Great company when I worked there.

Former Employee - Apprentise, Tool Maker, Foreman, Union Leader in Alsip, IL
    Former Employee - Apprentise, Tool Maker, Foreman, Union Leader in Alsip, IL

I worked at Tuthill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

When I worked at Tuthill people were respected and thought of as assets. The Tuthill family was personally involved in day to day activities something you don't see anywhere in the U.S. today. Today most, if not all companies are dollar driven. I think our downfall came into companies with the efficency experts. Companies no longer have a personality only a reputation.

Cons

Tuthill was always a low paying company, but a excellent place to learn about Quality, productivity, and deportment. I've heard that's on longer the case people are not respected for longevity but thought of as a drain.

I believe you will find sucess in hiring people you can trust. A real manager is someone who has knowledge of your products and can consistently deal with the people who report to him. People are more than margins.

11. Educational

Former Employee - Intern in Berea, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Berea, OH

I worked at Tuthill

Pros

Tuthill had a great staff that I worked with on a daily basis. Everyone was very friendly and willing to help me learn.

Cons

A few employees at Tuthill did not seem to understand how things were run but they were still able to do their jobs.