Tutor Doctor

Tutor Doctor Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tutor Doctor Good Workplace.

Math/Stat Tutor (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsGood Management. Great Place to Work For!

ConsNo cons on this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Good opportunity

Tutor (Current Employee) Boise, ID

ProsThe job pays well per hour. I am free to accept or decline jobs as I wish.

ConsThe travel time/mileage to clients' homes is not compensated. The prep time to create assignments and submit session reports is not compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay tutor mileage for traveling to clients' homes.

Some good, but some bad

Math Tutor (Former Employee) Pleasanton, CA

ProsMake your own schedule, don't need to find your own clients, easy time logging, no micro-managing

ConsFranchise office claimed they stopped receiving my emails, late paychecks, disorganized

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that franchise owners are able to handle their business

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Pay not worth the hassle

Tutor (Former Employee) Nashville, TN

ProsFranchise paid on time, Provided with plenty of jobs, Quick and timely responses to emails and phone calls
    Could choose your own schedule and clients

ConsHad to drive far for most jobs, Some homes were not conducive towards learning. Pay was not fair, paperwork was a hassle

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the model

Good people, charge too much money of families

Tutor (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe tutor doctor team are good people. They respond quickly and helpfully to emails and are genuinely interested in the education problems their clients face. They match tutors well with students (in my case at least) and provide lots of insight into a students specific issues when an assignment begins.

ConsThey simply charge too much to the families and do not pay enough to tutors, in my opinion. They pay tutors about $20 per hour long session, while charging families about $50.
    In my experience, after the initial set-up and introduction, the management team does not have any involvement in the tutoring process; only the individual tutor makes direct contact with the family to provide tutoring. So if I spend a school year tutoring a student maybe 50 times times, I make $1000 while Tutor Doctor makes $1500. They do a good job of facilitating payments and such, but is that really worth that much when I am the one going to the students house once or twice a week and tutoring the student.
    I don't really mind how little they pay tutors (even though it would be nice to get paid for driving time to and from students' houses); what I really mind is how much they charge families. I had two families stop tutoring because of how much it costs. I think the price of Tutor Doctor's services is prohibitively high for most of the students that really need it at schools. If you want to tutor upper-class families, work for tutor doctor; if you want to help solve the education disparity crisis in this country, I would recommend somewhere else besides Tutor Doctor.

Advice to Senior ManagementI understand that Tutor Doctor is a business and as long as there are clients willing to pay your prices then you have no economic incentive to change. I would only ask that you think about the kids and families that are prohibited from using your services by price.
    Also consider paying high quality tutors more (although I admit it would be very difficult to evaluate the 'quality' of a tutor).

Great people, Great service

Tutor (Former Employee) Manhattan Beach, CA

ProsThe one on one "tailored for you" approach works. Makes for awesome student teacher relationships.

ConsPay is so-so. I hustled and was on time with my appointments so I got a lot of hours which held me through.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay raises could be more often! Quarterly?

Franchise Owner

Franchise Owner (Former Employee) Lake Elsinore, CA

ProsIf you are good in sales, it might be a good business opportunity.

ConsThere is no guarantee of success. I home office is slow in addressing question or concerns

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more active with the franchise owners.

One of the worst I've ever worked for

Tutor/Independent Contractor (Former Employee) Chester, VA

ProsFlexibility in terms of hours
    Matches you with students who need help in your areas of expertise

Cons- The franchise owner takes more than half of what the students pay. (Common example for my students: They pay $42/hour, tutor only receives $15/hour)
    - You must do a lot of driving, which is NOT covered in your pay
    - Franchise owner doesn't issue paychecks consistently and is often more than a month late with pay
    - Franchise owner takes several days to respond to inquires from parents or tutors
    - Franchise owner is slow to approve the online reports that you must submit (and you are not paid for the time it take to fill these out.)

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a professional! Answer your phone and e-mail messages promptly, pay your employees promptly, and pay fairly - especially for tutors with advanced degrees or teaching certificates in the subject areas!

Good money, but management is shady

Tutor (Former Employee)

Pros-Flexible work hours
    -Don't need a degree to be hired
    -Decent pay (~$20/hr)

Cons-The families I tutored for were often dissatisfied with the owner/manager.
    -Some clients frequently failed to give sufficient notice when cancelling/rescheduling tutoring sessions; owner did not enforce cancellation policy
    -No curriculum or teaching materials are provided

Advice to Senior ManagementAfter I left the company, my clients wanted to have more of a say in choosing their replacement tutor.

Not Worth it - Unless you're desperate for $$$, Don't Waste Your TIme

ProsTutor doesn't have to pay to advertise his services.
    Tutor Doctor evaluates home and family prior to tutor entering the home (we hope)

Cons-Pay is not at all worth it, once you figure in the gas and mileage time. At least if you tutor independently, you can figure traveling time and cost into your quote to each indivdual family.

-You have to submit session reports after the tutoring, in addition to filling out a monthly family report, "report cards" and a time sheet. WAY WAY WAY too much paperwork. It adds another 20- 30 minutes onto each session (but you aren't getting paid for it).

-People managing each city Tutor Doctor aren't necessarily teachers, nor do they necessarily have any background in education. They're most likely receving 40 percent (at least) of each hourly cut, but they aren't really doing anything.

Tutors are degreed, professional people and deserve to be treated as such. Tutors across the country do themselves a great disservice by working for these tutoring companies that simply take total advantage of broke teachers looking to supplement their already-low classroom paychecks. We are far better off to work independently, so we can keep our rates high. Yes, you do have to pay for advertising, but isn't it worth it in the end? It's a sad day when anyone can open a Tutor Doctor and make all of this money to basically do nothing, but the tutors themselves, who are the heart and soul of the operation, are compensated poorly and micromanaged with excess paperwork.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate tutors for traveling time, time writing the session reports, etc. Pay at least 25 per hour, since you require tutors to be certified and degreed. Tutoring companies always complain about high turn over, but you get what you pay for.

Worked for Tutor Doctor? Contribute to the Community!