Tutor Doctor

CEO

Good opportunity

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Tutor in Boise, ID

I have been working at Tutor Doctor part-time for more than a year

Pros

The job pays well per hour. I am free to accept or decline jobs as I wish.

Cons

The travel time/mileage to clients' homes is not compensated. The prep time to create assignments and submit session reports is not compensated.

Pay tutor mileage for traveling to clients' homes.

I wouldn't do it again.

Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Tutor Doctor as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The pay is high. $20/hr! You can make your own schedule and your paychecks are mailed straight to you. And they don't take taxes out so you get to keep the whole paycheck. If you're a student it keeps your skills sharp.

Cons

The biggest issue is that you're only paid for the time you tutor, not the time you sit in traffic and get to the tutoring location. I got sent out about 20 miles away for one of my jobs. And most of the students go to high school and want tutoring after school so you're probably going to be driving during rush hour. I tutored math so one day I thought about it and realized I ended up spending about 2 hours for every hour I worked so even though I was making $20/hr I was actually really getting more like $10/hr. And that's before I factor in the cost of gas and wear on my car. Long story short, if you do decide to work for them accept jobs close to home because even though they say they'll reimburse you for gas, they won't. They make you pay for your own background check which was only $30 but that's still a good hour and a half of work. Also once I decided to stop working for them the management became super unhelpful. They stopped responding to my emails and phone calls entirely. I never ended up getting paid for my last month of work. I pursued them for a few months, thought about taking them to small claims court and then just chalked it up as a lesson learned. I only worked part of the month and had only one student so it was only $50 but it's definitely something to watch out for if you take on multiple students and work the full month.

Pay me my last check! lol

Tutor Doctor Good Workplace.

Current Employee - Math/Stat Tutor  in  Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Math/Stat Tutor in Boise, ID

I have been working at Tutor Doctor part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good Management. Great Place to Work For!

Cons

No cons on this company.

None.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some good, but some bad

Former Employee - Math Tutor  in  Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Math Tutor in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Tutor Doctor part-time for more than a year

Pros

Make your own schedule, don't need to find your own clients, easy time logging, no micro-managing

Cons

Franchise office claimed they stopped receiving my emails, late paychecks, disorganized

Ensure that franchise owners are able to handle their business

Pay not worth the hassle

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Tutor in Nashville, TN

I worked at Tutor Doctor as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Franchise paid on time, Provided with plenty of jobs, Quick and timely responses to emails and phone calls
    Could choose your own schedule and clients

Cons

Had to drive far for most jobs, Some homes were not conducive towards learning. Pay was not fair, paperwork was a hassle

Change the model

Good people, charge too much money of families

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Tutor in Portland, OR

I worked at Tutor Doctor part-time for more than a year

Pros

The tutor doctor team are good people. They respond quickly and helpfully to emails and are genuinely interested in the education problems their clients face. They match tutors well with students (in my case at least) and provide lots of insight into a students specific issues when an assignment begins.

Cons

They simply charge too much to the families and do not pay enough to tutors, in my opinion. They pay tutors about $20 per hour long session, while charging families about $50.
    In my experience, after the initial set-up and introduction, the management team does not have any involvement in the tutoring process; only the individual tutor makes direct contact with the family to provide tutoring. So if I spend a school year tutoring a student maybe 50 times times, I make $1000 while Tutor Doctor makes $1500. They do a good job of facilitating payments and such, but is that really worth that much when I am the one going to the students house once or twice a week and tutoring the student.
    I don't really mind how little they pay tutors (even though it would be nice to get paid for driving time to and from students' houses); what I really mind is how much they charge families. I had two families stop tutoring because of how much it costs. I think the price of Tutor Doctor's services is prohibitively high for most of the students that really need it at schools. If you want to tutor upper-class families, work for tutor doctor; if you want to help solve the education disparity crisis in this country, I would recommend somewhere else besides Tutor Doctor.

I understand that Tutor Doctor is a business and as long as there are clients willing to pay your prices then you have no economic incentive to change. I would only ask that you think about the kids and families that are prohibited from using your services by price.
    Also consider paying high quality tutors more (although I admit it would be very difficult to evaluate the 'quality' of a tutor).

Great people, Great service

Former Employee - Tutor  in  Manhattan Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor in Manhattan Beach, CA

I worked at Tutor Doctor as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

The one on one "tailored for you" approach works. Makes for awesome student teacher relationships.

Cons

Pay is so-so. I hustled and was on time with my appointments so I got a lot of hours which held me through.

Pay raises could be more often! Quarterly?

Franchise Owner

Former Employee - Franchise Owner  in  Lake Elsinore, CA
    Former Employee - Franchise Owner in Lake Elsinore, CA

I worked at Tutor Doctor full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are good in sales, it might be a good business opportunity.

Cons

There is no guarantee of success. I home office is slow in addressing question or concerns

Be more active with the franchise owners.

One of the worst I've ever worked for

Former Employee - Tutor/Independent Contractor  in  Chester, VA
    Former Employee - Tutor/Independent Contractor in Chester, VA

I worked at Tutor Doctor as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility in terms of hours
    Matches you with students who need help in your areas of expertise

Cons

- The franchise owner takes more than half of what the students pay. (Common example for my students: They pay $42/hour, tutor only receives $15/hour)
    - You must do a lot of driving, which is NOT covered in your pay
    - Franchise owner doesn't issue paychecks consistently and is often more than a month late with pay
    - Franchise owner takes several days to respond to inquires from parents or tutors
    - Franchise owner is slow to approve the online reports that you must submit (and you are not paid for the time it take to fill these out.)

Be a professional! Answer your phone and e-mail messages promptly, pay your employees promptly, and pay fairly - especially for tutors with advanced degrees or teaching certificates in the subject areas!

Good money, but management is shady

I worked at Tutor Doctor as a contractor

Pros

-Flexible work hours
    -Don't need a degree to be hired
    -Decent pay (~$20/hr)

Cons

-The families I tutored for were often dissatisfied with the owner/manager.
    -Some clients frequently failed to give sufficient notice when cancelling/rescheduling tutoring sessions; owner did not enforce cancellation policy
    -No curriculum or teaching materials are provided

After I left the company, my clients wanted to have more of a say in choosing their replacement tutor.

Worked for Tutor Doctor? Contribute to the Community!