Tutor Perini
www.perini.com Sylmar, CA 5000+ Employees

Tutor Perini Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014
Tutor Perini – US – “Project Staff Photo”

Tutor Perini Chairman and CEO Ron Tutor

Ron Tutor

Huge company with alot of layers and bureaucracy

I have been working at Tutor Perini full-time for more than a year

ProsPromotions from within are satisfactory

ConsThe governance and bureaucracy can get overwhelming at times

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the managers manage

I've experienced better

BIM Engineer (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for less than a year

ProsPay..... There really is no other positives; they are making me put 20 words down

ConsTerrible IT, no help from others, unrealistic expectations from management, unprofessional management

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff up to increase productivity and efficiency; costs more up front but saves time and money in long run.

No strategic focus. Old tech construction. Employees are not viewed as an asset.

Director (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCan win big construction jobs. Civil is prime focus.

ConsOld world leadership. Employees are not an asset.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate authority with responsibility. Use more common sense. Take care of your employees.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I loved working at Perini in the beginning. The culture changed drastically for the worse during my tenure.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMany of the people were fantastic to work with & are still friends of mine. Often there was a great team spirit that made it fun to work there. Initially the organization was happy to help people learn and grow. Relationships with clients and within the organization were important.

ConsIt became a highly competitive, dog eat dog culture that was very hostile. Over time it became more important to 'win' with the clients or over your co-workers. Too many of the senior managers were seemingly rewarded for belittling, berating and bullying subcontractors, clients and employees. Many of the good folks left.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that people will make or break your projects so treat them well always.

Terrible place to work. Beware if you are offered a job here.

Sylmar, CA

I have been working at Tutor Perini full-time for more than a year

ProsNone. There are no pros to working here.

ConsDysfunctional, poor morale, CEO who flaunts his money but doesn't share his success with the rest. Terrible benefits and low salary.

When you enter the corp office you are greeted with a lovely atrium and expect the rest of the building to be just as nice. If you're a highly paid executive you get a fancy office on the first floor with a private kitchen and dining room. When you get to the 2nd floor where the common folk work it's like a morgue. Nobody is smiling. Everybody seems overworked and very stressed. Employees are never rewarded for a job well done. Very bleak environment. The CEO is not a nice man. He is often screaming obscenities and employees and has no compassion.
Stay away from this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart realizing that without your support staff the company won't exist.

A learning experience

Safety Supervisor/OSHA Instructor (Former Employee)

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for less than a year

ProsBig job a lot to learn and teach

ConsOnly the friends of management stays on

Rudolph & Sletten Decline Since Perini Purchase

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWith the recession, R&S staff stuck around longer than they likely would have once the direction of the company became clear after the purchase by Perini.

ConsDecline in benefits
Stagnant salaries
Inability to compete for projects we were previously the frontrunner for due to the reputation of our parent company
Loss of key staff
R&S had an extremely successful business model that has essentially been sucked dry by the parent company.
Many of the employees with strong resumes that allowed us to successfully compete in the tech industry have now left and gone to our key competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementR&S was at the forefront of the industry. Do what you can to eliminate the Tutor-Perini influence and make it a desirable place to work again.

Incompetent Management who Abuse Employees

Finance (Current Employee)
Sylmar, CA

I have been working at Tutor Perini full-time for more than a year

ProsLess then 1 hour drive from anywhere in Los Angeles.

ConsUpper management, executives included, mentally abuse the employees. They insult people based on their appearance, happenings in their personal lives, and any little issue is immediately made to be entirely your fault and a reflection of your incompetence.

The people who work at Corporate seem to be universally unhappy and arguing at work is not uncommon. The office is drab and depressing. The buildings are surrounded with barbed wire. Employees avoid helping others.

Some upper managers are incompetent. They seem to lack the general knowledge and skills required for their position, but they will take opportunities to make you feel inferior and helpless.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't pay enough to make people miserable. Other companies that work people less, have better facilities, and treat employees with respect are paying more.

Awesome

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOnce in a lifetime projects, difficult schedules, most of the people.

ConsThe Sr. Project Manager that was there was incompetent.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of some of the upper management who were totally out of there league. It was sometimes embarrassing when the individual who is supposed to be one of the faces of your company - cannot even speak or use a computer.

PBC

Assistant Superintendent (Former Employee)

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time for more than 5 years

ProsEveryone is very knowledgeable in their field. The upper management cares about their employees. The engineers were all on top of the RFI's and change orders. They have an open-door policy which proves to work.

ConsThere is the "click" factor amongst a few. The supervisor that I had had was not the most pleasent, but did teach me quite a bit.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have a knowledgeable General Superintendent but he/she has a bad way of (or do not) teaching their subordinates please get with the subordinate to see what and if there is a problem.

Worked for Tutor Perini? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tutor Perini reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tutor Perini CEO Ron Tutor. All 27 reviews posted anonymously by Tutor Perini employees.