Tutor Perini Reviews

Tutor Perini Chairman and CEO Ron Tutor
Ron Tutor

1. Good experience

I worked at Tutor Perini

Pros

- Gained valuable experience as a summer intern.
    - Managers were friendly and were eager to teach.
    - Very good pay.

Cons

- Hours worked weren't the best.

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice to the management. I was with the company for only 3 months so my review not be the most accurate but it was definitely a good experience.

2. On the frustrating side.

Current Employee - Field Engineer I in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Field Engineer I in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor Perini

Pros

Wide variety of work with decent hours for the construction field.

Cons

Very unorganized and micromanaged - constant management turnover and promotions and raises are only given to those who demand them or threaten to leave. Not on merit.

Advice to Management

Establish procedures and SOP's to create standards that get everyone on the same page. If you value people show them via compensation and simple pats on the back. Stop letting vice presidents get involved with hour to hour field decisions.

3. Disturbingly inefficient.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Tutor Perini

Pros

Great amount of knowledge with the foreman and superintendents. Decent salary if it were actually based on a 40 or 50 hour week. Some Project Managers are excellent.

Cons

Extreme waste of overhead. You have to involve entirely too many people to get any work done. This makes you work even more because it is so terribly inefficient that you spend most of your day running around in circles to follow the corporate plan.

There is no trust with the employee to allow them access to do the simplest of things like pay an invoice. Look at the amount of money you can save if you paid bills on time and took advantage of discounts.

I would not work for this company as a subcontractor or vendor unless it is COD. It is an act of congress to get people paid.

There is no accountablility for Engineers or Managers that don't follow through with their job responsibilities. It honestly seems like if people don't feel like doing something then they don't and that is ok. Obviously this makes more work for others to pick up their slack.

I have never seen so many claims in my life. You hear or companies that take jobs at low costs and look for any claim/change order possible. This seems to be one of them. You spend more time working on claims than planning the actual work. There is more concern with nickel-and-diming the owner instead of building a lasting working relationship.

There is no physical way to see what your actual costs are on a day to day basis unless you keep a manual spreadsheet. By far the worst cost system I have ever seen or heard of. Plus, cost engineers do not have access to all cost programs which forces you to employ too many people in AP to answer questions.

Revenue-wise Tutor Perini is in the same realm as the Kiewits of the industry but the way this company is run is alarming. Truly disappointing and sad that senior management does not try to minimize waste. I honestly do not think that they know what "waste" is. There is a level of comfort because "this is the way that we've always done it" despite having a tremendous amount of room for improvement.

Advice to Management

With the amount of turnover that this company has should make any manager take an in depth look at the means and methods. Obviously this particular corporate plan of working makes money - no doubt about it as they have revenue in the billions. Think of how much more money could be made if half of this waste was eliminated.

Staff the jobs correctly. Running a lean team cuts down on costs but burns people out.

5. faceless employees

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay, decent benefits, outdoor work

Cons

your a number, not a person. people come and go.

Advice to Management

build a company, not a just a profit.

6. Overall the company was generally a decent place to work

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The experience of working on some of the largest projects in the world and the knowledge gained from the many contributors

Cons

Too many people overseeing one another for the sake with little productivity. Not enough knowledge or experience on projects or the complex tasks.

Advice to Management

Work with your subcontractors, do. It fight them on documented changes to the contract draws, you will save more money overall on changes, every single day

7. Just a job - poorly managed company

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Is a paycheck - about all I can say, the workers are the good ones - not much management to speak of.

Cons

Select few profit from the hard work of others, horrible culture, I'd advise against working there unless just really need employment.

Advice to Management

Rethink your management structure - the old guard style will not work forever..

8. not impressed

I have been working at Tutor Perini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

none at this time that I can see

Cons

there is no work-life balance.

9. Tutor Perini will challenge you and provide unlimited opportunities grow professionally and personally.

Current Employee - Area Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Tutor Perini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unlimited opportunities to take on new responsibilities. This company welcomes those who relish the opportunity to do more than just the minimum. Your contribution is considered key to the success of the project. If you excel and continuously contribute at a high level, you are recognized as an achiever. Additional opportunities to shine will a

Cons

Expectations are extremely high; and work-life balance is challenged often.

Advice to Management

Provide more after work opportunities for employees to congregate, fellowship and relax away from the stressful environment.

10. well, work work work...with little pay

Former Employee - Project Engineer
    Former Employee - Project Engineer

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

projects are some of the top in the industry for civil construction
    you work with some of the more experienced people in the profession

Cons

work / life balance is non existant and even more skewed than in other companies in the industry
    salary increases are rare

Advice to Management

get some interface with people on the floor and in the trenches

11. Become Much Worse Since Tutor Perini Became the Parent Company

Former Employee - Project Staff in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Project Staff in New York, NY

I worked at Tutor Perini full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting Projects. Good coworkers. Good friends.

Cons

Ridiculous policy that an employee cannot get a raise if staying at the same position. Benefits was cut significantly too. No bonus for engineers. Bonus is only available for management. New employees should negotiate a good pay because you probably will not get any raise for many years ahead.

Advice to Management

Treat your employee fairly. Living expenses rises every year, and your employee become more experienced every year. Annual raise should be given unless the company or the economy is really suffering.

Tutor Perini Photos