Tutor Perini
www.perini.com Sylmar, CA 5000+ Employees

Tutor Perini Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014
Tutor Perini – US – “Project Staff Photo”

Tutor Perini Chairman and CEO Ron Tutor

Ron Tutor

Tutor Perini will challenge you and provide unlimited opportunities grow professionally and personally.

Area Manager (Current Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsUnlimited opportunities to take on new responsibilities. This company welcomes those who relish the opportunity to do more than just the minimum. Your contribution is considered key to the success of the project. If you excel and continuously contribute at a high level, you are recognized as an achiever. Additional opportunities to shine will a

ConsExpectations are extremely high; and work-life balance is challenged often.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more after work opportunities for employees to congregate, fellowship and relax away from the stressful environment.

well, work work work...with little pay

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

Prosprojects are some of the top in the industry for civil construction
    you work with some of the more experienced people in the profession

Conswork / life balance is non existant and even more skewed than in other companies in the industry
    salary increases are rare

Advice to Senior Managementget some interface with people on the floor and in the trenches

Become Much Worse Since Tutor Perini Became the Parent Company

Project Staff (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsInteresting Projects. Good coworkers. Good friends.

ConsRidiculous policy that an employee cannot get a raise if staying at the same position. Benefits was cut significantly too. No bonus for engineers. Bonus is only available for management. New employees should negotiate a good pay because you probably will not get any raise for many years ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employee fairly. Living expenses rises every year, and your employee become more experienced every year. Annual raise should be given unless the company or the economy is really suffering.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've experienced better

Bim Engineer (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsPay..... There really is no other positives; they are making me put 20 words down

ConsTerrible IT, no help from others, unrealistic expectations from management, unprofessional management

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff up to increase productivity and efficiency; costs more up front but saves time and money in long run.

Huge company with alot of layers and bureaucracy

ProsPromotions from within are satisfactory

ConsThe governance and bureaucracy can get overwhelming at times

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the managers manage

No strategic focus. Old tech construction. Employees are not viewed as an asset.

Director (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsCan win big construction jobs. Civil is prime focus.

ConsOld world leadership. Employees are not an asset.

Advice to Senior ManagementDelegate authority with responsibility. Use more common sense. Take care of your employees.

Terrible place to work. Beware if you are offered a job here.

(Current Employee)
    Sylmar, CA

ProsNone. There are no pros to working here.

ConsDysfunctional, poor morale, CEO who flaunts his money but doesn't share his success with the rest. Terrible benefits and low salary.

When you enter the corp office you are greeted with a lovely atrium and expect the rest of the building to be just as nice. If you're a highly paid executive you get a fancy office on the first floor with a private kitchen and dining room. When you get to the 2nd floor where the common folk work it's like a morgue. Nobody is smiling. Everybody seems overworked and very stressed. Employees are never rewarded for a job well done. Very bleak environment. The CEO is not a nice man. He is often screaming obscenities and employees and has no compassion.
    Stay away from this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart realizing that without your support staff the company won't exist.

I loved working at Perini in the beginning. The culture changed drastically for the worse during my tenure.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsMany of the people were fantastic to work with & are still friends of mine. Often there was a great team spirit that made it fun to work there. Initially the organization was happy to help people learn and grow. Relationships with clients and within the organization were important.

ConsIt became a highly competitive, dog eat dog culture that was very hostile. Over time it became more important to 'win' with the clients or over your co-workers. Too many of the senior managers were seemingly rewarded for belittling, berating and bullying subcontractors, clients and employees. Many of the good folks left.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that people will make or break your projects so treat them well always.

A learning experience

Safety Supervisor/OSHA Instructor (Former Employee)
    Las Vegas, NV

ProsBig job a lot to learn and teach

ConsOnly the friends of management stays on

Rudolph & Sletten Decline Since Perini Purchase

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWith the recession, R&S staff stuck around longer than they likely would have once the direction of the company became clear after the purchase by Perini.

ConsDecline in benefits
    Stagnant salaries
    Inability to compete for projects we were previously the frontrunner for due to the reputation of our parent company
    Loss of key staff
    R&S had an extremely successful business model that has essentially been sucked dry by the parent company.
    Many of the employees with strong resumes that allowed us to successfully compete in the tech industry have now left and gone to our key competitors.

Advice to Senior ManagementR&S was at the forefront of the industry. Do what you can to eliminate the Tutor-Perini influence and make it a desirable place to work again.

Worked for Tutor Perini? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tutor Perini reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tutor Perini CEO Ron Tutor. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Tutor Perini employees.