Tutor.com Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
Mandy Ginsberg

Pros
  • Can work from home even while traveling (in 32 reviews)

• You have a very flexible schedule (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • the mentors are horrible, pay is low and you always receive negative comments but no positive (in 13 reviews)

• I found that the hours available were just not adequate for this to be more than a part-time side job (in 9 reviews)

1. Good part time gig

Current Employee - Tutor - English, College-Level Essay Writing, Career Help in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Setting your own schedule, flexible, it's okay to miss hours, fairly easy to get promoted

Cons

Less than typical pay for tutors, no real training (you have to know your stuff and then follow their rules), competition for hours is rough and there are very few available over the summer and around school breaks

Advice to Management

Continue to increase tutor wage and benefits; consider expanding to allow tutors to become employees instead of contractors

2. Worked over the summer

I worked at Tutor.com

Pros

You pretty much get to determine your own hours. Its really not difficult. Most of the people you end up tutoring are middle school kids so its easy.

Cons

Software was iffy. Pretty regularly got disconnected. Taking the tests to apply was annoying. The bonuses didn't seem worth it at all. Its obviously not a career.

Advice to Management

Differentiate between levels of study. Differentiate between organic chemistry and chemistry. I could tutor both but a lot of chemistry tutors couldn't.

3. Tutoring

I worked at Tutor.com part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The hours are flexible, the students are wonderful, and the classroom is easy to use.

Cons

There are scheduling concerns. Some friends and I are at different levels with regard to tutoring. One day we decided to schedule at the same time, and each of the available hours were vastly different. We also noticed that administration will provide additional hours on the schedule when they have need, but otherwise it seems that they provide a certain number of hours on the grid, and for those who are fortunate enough to schedule, they are secured hours. For others, however, they are allowed to "float", which basically means that they are paid per student. It's understandable that there has to be some sort of tiered system, but it's hardly fair that those who float are not recompensed as well as they could be if they worked for a company such as Wyzant. Further, for those who schedule but are not fortunate to get a client, their pay, which should be commensurate with their level, is actually cut in half. For example, if I work at a rate of 12.13 an hour, but for a particular hour had no student with which to work, my actual pay for that hour is not 12.13, but is actually $6.07. A multi-million dollar company should be able to pay the employees the full hourly rate, regardless as to whether a student logs in for help or not.

Advice to Management

If you really consider your tutors to be the backbone of your organization, because without them there would be no Tutor.com, allowing more hours on the schedule for your valued employees would truly demonstrate care of the employees.

Anonymous reviews

Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

flexible time when you can get it -- and work wherever there is internet condition (if you can get it)

Cons

Wondering if Tutor.com enjoys anonymous reviews as much as we do, since it does absolutely no good if we cannot match the review to the situation. An extremely low review of a 5-minute lesson holds as much weight as a stellar review of a two-hour difficult session where the student was pleased. What is "fair" about that? Other than it keeps the tutor from a bonus or a promotion.

Advice to Management

Improve the rating system; ill-informed students can wreck an average. Give mentors more latitude than canned responses. Warn tutors that most of the students have a really poor grasp of the English language. Program has really gone downhill in the past 18 months.

6. Interesting company but...

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Tutor.com

Pros

Very gratifying to see your efforts help students succeed. Great people to work with and for the most part, roles were pretty clearly defined.

Cons

Lack of communication was a problem, as well as a bit of arrogance on the part of senior management. When you think your product is the best, and it's not, this leads to problems for the folks on the ground trying to get things done.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic in your expectations. Listen to people who talk to customers all day long, and consider their ideas-- dont just pay lip service to them

7. Review

Current Employee - Math Tutor I
    Current Employee - Math Tutor I

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

Work anywhere at anytime (Where there is internet and students to tutor of course...) Everyone has a personal mentor - I personally love my mentor...

Cons

You get paid on a "Time with student" basis. Some students are extremely frustrating

Never going to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Tutor.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good idea and a great way to give kids the extra help that they need to be successful in school.

Cons

With the absence of the former CEO Georg Cigale this company has lost its soul. He had passion and drive and made the place great.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people on ideas to help grow the business. This place could be fantastic but at this point its just not going to happen.

9. Decent work

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time

Pros

It's relatively easy money. You get paid when you are scheduled to work, even if there are no students to help.

Cons

Hours and students are scarce during the summer. You only get paid once a month. Some students are hard to help.

Advice to Management

It would be better if tutors were paid twice a month.

Pretty Bad...

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Tutor.com

Pros

Flexibility, working from home, sometimes the students are fantastic

Cons

Terrible pay, nit-picky mentors, very little advancement, complete isolation from other tutors.

11. Great work great people

I have been working at Tutor.com full-time

Pros

It's a culture of people who - get things done. - use data to make better decisions. - enjoy having good conversations

Cons

So much work in so many different directions

RSS Feed </> Embed