Tutor.com

Tutor.com Reviews

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014

Mandy Ginsberg

Pros
  • The ability to work from home and some flexibility in scheduling of hours (in 32 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Impact children - Make a difference every day - mentoring/support (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • the mentors are horrible, pay is low and you always receive negative comments but no positive (in 13 reviews)

• I found that the hours available were just not adequate for this to be more than a part-time side job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Tutoring online has been a good experience.

Current Employee - Chemistry Tutor
    Current Employee - Chemistry Tutor

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

You get to work on your schedule in the comfort of your own home. Even if you aren't scheduled to tutor, you can log in tutor and get paid.

Cons

It can be hard to schedule the hours you want. The call on the hours you can schedule initially is pretty low.

Great for college kids looking to earn some money on the side.

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

The best part is the flexibility. You schedule your own hours and can log on at any time and get paid if you get a session. You work from home so its great for people without reliable transportation.

Cons

You're not going to get rich. It's a good side job but you can't support yourself on the wage. Not much communication with your 'mentor' or anyone from the company.

Improve communication and the application process

Very flexible, room for advancement, professional development supported

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The IAC building is beautiful and has many amenities (espresso machine, keurig's on every floor, pantries on every floor - stocked with snacks (healthy and not so healthy), 9th floor has an expanded pantry with a fridge full of drinks, yogurts, etc. We have bagel Friday EVERY Friday and Dog Days once a month, as well as many events (Awesome Holiday parties in summer/ winter, National Cookie Day is celebrated, and random pop-ups like gelato in the elevator, and smoothies on the outdoor terrace. The company promotes work life balance (many employees work from home a few days a week) and we have internal events like happy hours, Thanksgiving Pot luck, monthly Birthday/ work anniversary celebrations). The benefits are decent regarding medical and a matching 401K

Cons

Some people are paid really well, others not so much - and it doesn't seem to matter how hard you work - you get "stuck" at the level your at. They do have many advancement opportunities that could be utilized more efficiently. There is not a tuition reimbursement policy (which is silly since we are an education company....) but they do promote professional development - you just have to ask for it. Many things have been in flux with recent acquisitions, my experience is they don't want to share a lot unless you are on a need to know basis - which makes sense, but more communication of what is happening would be nice. Everyone is fairly good to work with, but it can be hard to fit in if you aren't in the "right" crowd. Managers are generally supportive

Try to get to know more of the employees - not just the higher level ones. We all work hard, it would be nice to have some acknowledgement your work is appreciated. The business cannot run efficiently without the help of our lowest paid employees - a simple Thank you would suffice in most cases. Compensate people for doing their "job" and extending outside of those boundaries - many hands make light work. Don't penalize those unless you have reason too. I feel like many are surprised because they thought they were doing well, come to find out they weren't doing something according to how someone thinks it should be done - but nobody said anything otherwise that it needed to be worked on. We are all human and most of us want the best for ourselves and families as well as our extended work family. Be proud of what WE have built - all of us!

Good for part time work

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time

Pros

You get to pick your own time
    Relatively frequent raises (I got 2 in 1 year but maybe it has now plateaued)
    Can work from home even while traveling
    Good way to keep up with material you learned, you know what I mean college kids!

Cons

Some students can be difficult
    Time limit for sessions can be a huge constraint especially for STEM questions

A good source of side income, but.....

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

1. You get to work from anywhere you would like.
    2. Since you are not always "tutoring", you can be taking care of other stuffs while you wait for a student.

Cons

There are so many:
    1. Pay rate: Pay rate is very very low as compared to other online tutoring system (there are some who offer $20 per hour)
    2. Broken system: The system to evaluate tutors based on student reviews is flawed. The necessity to receive an average review of 4.3 to get promoted is also flawed because many students might give you 4 stars because you are better than average, but that will not be good enough. Also, while calculating average ratings, only the sessions where the student actually gave ratings should be considered.
    3. Mentoring: A lot has been said about mentors and mentoring issues in previous comments. They are there to criticize, not properly help you.
    4. Acceptance rate disparity: It is mentioned nowhere how the Acceptance Rate is calculated. Miss a session - your rate goes down drastically.
    5. Communication: The only way to communicate is via mentors and support page. Mentors are in no position to answer administrative question, and who know who answers the support questions.
    6. Value to students: Most students do not pay for the service, so the utility of tutoring for them is not as much as to the ones who pay to use the service. I believe the students who use the service for free do not really care about tutor ratings and surveys. Most paying customers I have encountered genuinely want to learn and provide good feedback.
    7. Regular interaction: There is no way we get to schedule a session with the same student on a regular basis. Also, there is no way to share information with other tutors. Other tutoring site has facebook & twitter pages where tutors can interact & share ideas, but not here.
    8. Software issues: The tutoring software is out-of-date, and it crashes too often. I use text-box most of the time, but it is not possible to go-back and edit what I typed previously. Also, while using text-box, it is not possible to go to chat and respond to student's query and come back to work on the same text-box.
    9. Career advancements issue: Take this as a part-time job. There are absolutely no advancement opportunities. I have been a probationary tutor for little over two months (more than their 60 days limitation), but am being held back because of my acceptance rate.
    10. Limited hours: Being a probationary tutor, I am last on line for scheduling priorities. Most of the better hours (evenings) are always already taken and the available hours are usually (12am-7am). This is ridiculous.

I don't think they are going to read this, but my advice would be to pay more, listen more and upgrade your software to create a web based experience.

Need to pay more

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

can work from home, flexible hours.

Cons

Tutor.com charges their customers more and pays their tutors less than many of their competitors. They always ask tutors to log on because of high demand but do not offer any incentives (bonuses) to do so. On certain days they offer bonuses, but only to scheduled, not floating, tutors. It doesn't seem like this tactic is working well.

As you go on, mentors will require you to ask more and more irrelevant, time wasting questions and use more irrelevant, time wasting tactics in tutoring sessions. This is probably because they care more about the students buying more time than they do about using the time efficiently and learning as much as they can. The script you have to follow is so convoluted, patronizing, and inefficient that students will naturally be dissatisfied and give you low reviews.

They have ridiculous time limitations which just annoy students and make it very difficult to give them the help they need. Their whole model is only going to drive students and tutors away.

If you actually want supply to meet demand, offer more bonuses during high demand times; though it seems as though you're unconcerned with student wait time or retention. When you constantly nit-pick (in mentor reviews) and try to find every possible excuse to suspend or fire people, it doesn't make them feel like they want to work more (for example, during high-demand times) or like they're actually needed or valued.

Salary and advancement are all based on student ratings

Current Employee - Tutor-Anonymous in Pinetta, FL
    Current Employee - Tutor-Anonymous in Pinetta, FL

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

Flexibility of floating is nice. Scheduling is okay if you remember to log in on the first day.

Cons

Keeping the position is all based on student reviews which are mostly arbitrary and only bad reviews are given. Most good students don't bother too fill out the survey as it is not required. Mentor is not helpful. Mentor stated to me that the reason I do not receive good reviews is because I do not use exclamation points and smiley faces enough when talking to students. She told me I am awesome at explaining content and teaching, but am not getting the reviews because of this. To me this says the system is broken, if I can do my job excellently and still not be able to keep it because of students arbitrary reviews. All bad reviews I have had came from students who did not want to do the work for themselves and expected me as a tutor to provide them with answers which is against company policy. Also students are not told up front that is against company policy and that we can be fired for giving answers.

Change the rating system and actually have mentors rate sessions not students. Also if student ratings count so much, why are they not required after each session? Also you need a much better training program than a few videos online to explain all of the policies and procedures to tutors. Mentors should be used for this and should receive training themselves.

Don't Take Anything Personal

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tutor.com - you can set your own hours and its pretty easy. Students are OK most of the time

Cons

the mentors are horrible, pay is low and you always receive negative comments but no positive. Impossible to move up

Low Pay

Current Employee - Tutpr in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tutpr in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Work anytime I want.

Cons

Low pay 50% less than normal tutor job
    Can't choose clients, sometimes have to deal with mean ones.

Increase pay

Excellent way to make use of my college degree and get some real experience

Current Employee - Math Tutor II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Math Tutor II in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tutor.com gives you the chance to work with mentors who will guide you on the path to becoming a better tutor, while developing your own personal style. The scheduling is totally flexible and the pay is decent considering you can get in with virtually zero experience, and there's a really decent promotion schedule. Setting your own schedule and being able to work almost whenever you want is a really nice feature.

Cons

The job has a few downsides - the pay for concurrent sessions is less than it should be, hours can be difficult to find sometimes (your personal availability schedule does not always match peak student schedule), and connecting with students long-term to give them the real, individualized help they need is all but impossible because of the anonymous, randomly-assigned nature of the sessions.

Make it so that more students are approved for longer sessions; one of the most common frustrations as a tutor (and for the students!) is having to end a session right as we're starting to make progress because one or two problems have been solved. No other customer service business works this way.

Tutor.com Photos