Tutor.com

Updated November 15, 2014
Updated November 15, 2014
3.2

Mandy Ginsberg

Pros
  • The ability to work from home and some flexibility in scheduling of hours (in 31 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Impact children - Make a difference every day - mentoring/support (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Their pay is low, 30% of what a face to face tutor would make (in 10 reviews)

• I found that the hours available were just not adequate for this to be more than a part-time side job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Very flexible, room for advancement, professional development supported

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The IAC building is beautiful and has many amenities (espresso machine, keurig's on every floor, pantries on every floor - stocked with snacks (healthy and not so healthy), 9th floor has an expanded pantry with a fridge full of drinks, yogurts, etc. We have bagel Friday EVERY Friday and Dog Days once a month, as well as many events (Awesome Holiday parties in summer/ winter, National Cookie Day is celebrated, and random pop-ups like gelato in the elevator, and smoothies on the outdoor terrace. The company promotes work life balance (many employees work from home a few days a week) and we have internal events like happy hours, Thanksgiving Pot luck, monthly Birthday/ work anniversary celebrations). The benefits are decent regarding medical and a matching 401K

Cons

Some people are paid really well, others not so much - and it doesn't seem to matter how hard you work - you get "stuck" at the level your at. They do have many advancement opportunities that could be utilized more efficiently. There is not a tuition reimbursement policy (which is silly since we are an education company....) but they do promote professional development - you just have to ask for it. Many things have been in flux with recent acquisitions, my experience is they don't want to share a lot unless you are on a need to know basis - which makes sense, but more communication of what is happening would be nice. Everyone is fairly good to work with, but it can be hard to fit in if you aren't in the "right" crowd. Managers are generally supportive

Try to get to know more of the employees - not just the higher level ones. We all work hard, it would be nice to have some acknowledgement your work is appreciated. The business cannot run efficiently without the help of our lowest paid employees - a simple Thank you would suffice in most cases. Compensate people for doing their "job" and extending outside of those boundaries - many hands make light work. Don't penalize those unless you have reason too. I feel like many are surprised because they thought they were doing well, come to find out they weren't doing something according to how someone thinks it should be done - but nobody said anything otherwise that it needed to be worked on. We are all human and most of us want the best for ourselves and families as well as our extended work family. Be proud of what WE have built - all of us!

Good for part time work

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time

Pros

You get to pick your own time
    Relatively frequent raises (I got 2 in 1 year but maybe it has now plateaued)
    Can work from home even while traveling
    Good way to keep up with material you learned, you know what I mean college kids!

Cons

Some students can be difficult
    Time limit for sessions can be a huge constraint especially for STEM questions

Good way to make extra money

Former Employee - Tutor I in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Tutor I in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tutor.com as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, lots of communication from leaders regarding software and policy updates. Easy to use software.

Cons

Horrible mentor program, all employees are "contractors" (I think to avoid taxes), hard to find hours, difficult to advance to higher levels, pay is pretty bad.

Make it easier to schedule hours, make contractors actual employees, monitor mentors better.

Don't Take Anything Personal

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Tutor.com - you can set your own hours and its pretty easy. Students are OK most of the time

Cons

the mentors are horrible, pay is low and you always receive negative comments but no positive. Impossible to move up

Low Pay

Current Employee - Tutpr in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Tutpr in Boston, MA

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule. Work anytime I want.

Cons

Low pay 50% less than normal tutor job
    Can't choose clients, sometimes have to deal with mean ones.

Increase pay

Excellent way to make use of my college degree and get some real experience

Current Employee - Math Tutor II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Math Tutor II in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tutor.com gives you the chance to work with mentors who will guide you on the path to becoming a better tutor, while developing your own personal style. The scheduling is totally flexible and the pay is decent considering you can get in with virtually zero experience, and there's a really decent promotion schedule. Setting your own schedule and being able to work almost whenever you want is a really nice feature.

Cons

The job has a few downsides - the pay for concurrent sessions is less than it should be, hours can be difficult to find sometimes (your personal availability schedule does not always match peak student schedule), and connecting with students long-term to give them the real, individualized help they need is all but impossible because of the anonymous, randomly-assigned nature of the sessions.

Make it so that more students are approved for longer sessions; one of the most common frustrations as a tutor (and for the students!) is having to end a session right as we're starting to make progress because one or two problems have been solved. No other customer service business works this way.

Great place to work & great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome company culture with a ton of really nice and smart people. Fulfilling mission helping students succeed. Beautiful office in the IAC building. Tons of opportunity to move up, if you're flexible and willing to work hard. Ridiculous snack bar selection, ping pong tables, and other dot-com amenities.

Cons

IAC building is gorgeous, but not the easiest commute unless you live on the west side.

Somewhat understaffed (everyone wears a lot of different hats and has more work to do than hours to do it in), so maybe not the best environment for people more used to a big-company culture where folks have clearly and narrowly defined roles. But awesome if you're comfortable in a more startup-esque environment.

Not really a con (more of a piece of advice): Culture can seem a bit cliquey at times, but if you put in even a token effort to be friendly, you're in the clique. Just put yourself out there.

Don't lose focus on existing clients and product lines as you expand the business - keep staffing these businesses up too! But overall, keep on rocking.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Tutor I
    Current Employee - Tutor I

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, working with the students

Cons

working with the students is not always the funnest

provide mentors with more ways to review tutors

Lies are a significant part of the culture.

Former Employee - Tutor III - Math/Science
    Former Employee - Tutor III - Math/Science

I worked at Tutor.com as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, if you can get signed up for them.

Cons

A corporate culture that is full of lies.
    One of the other recent reviewers stated, ". . . they push and shove us to shortchange the students by teaching more than one at once, and want us to lie about it."
    This is just one of many examples that could be cited of outright, overt lying by people working for this company.
    There are also many, many other ways that people in this company "lie" that are "covert", rather than out in the open: Employees of the company seem to put extraordinary effort into NOT revealing the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. It's a kind of a lie, you know, within certain contexts to not reveal the whole truth and/or to imply one thing by what one says and does, when another thing, left unsaid, is known to be the actual truth.
    If you're considering working for this company, let me tell you, you may (or may not) be able to put up with this culture of lying for some period of time--some for shorter times and others for longer--but, I don't think you'll really "enjoy" it.

Clean up your act--your corporate culture.

Easy way to get started tutoring online

Current Employee - Math Tutor
    Current Employee - Math Tutor

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-flexible scheduling; you can schedule tutoring hours, or sign on at any time for flexible tutoring. During weekday nights tutoring requests come in consistently
    -Good mentor who gave me helpful suggestions to improve my tutoring

Cons

-Low pay compared to in-person tutoring
    -Sometimes difficult to keep ratings up as you get students who will sign out without doing any real work then giving you a low rating
    -Sometimes the software crashes unexpectedly

Tutor.com Photos