Tutor.com Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Mandy Ginsberg

Pros
  • Can work from home even while traveling (in 32 reviews)

• You have a very flexible schedule (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • the mentors are horrible, pay is low and you always receive negative comments but no positive (in 13 reviews)

• I found that the hours available were just not adequate for this to be more than a part-time side job (in 9 reviews)

1. Review

Current Employee - Math Tutor I
    Current Employee - Math Tutor I

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

Work anywhere at anytime (Where there is internet and students to tutor of course...)
    Everyone has a personal mentor - I personally love my mentor...

Cons

You get paid on a "Time with student" basis.
    Some students are extremely frustrating

2. Never going to grow

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Tutor.com full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good idea and a great way to give kids the extra help that they need to be successful in school.

Cons

With the absence of the former CEO Georg Cigale this company has lost its soul. He had passion and drive and made the place great.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people on ideas to help grow the business. This place could be fantastic but at this point its just not going to happen.

3. Pretty Bad...

Former Employee - Tutor
    Former Employee - Tutor

I worked at Tutor.com

Pros

Flexibility, working from home, sometimes the students are fantastic

Cons

Terrible pay, nit-picky mentors, very little advancement, complete isolation from other tutors.

5. Great work great people

I have been working at Tutor.com full-time

Pros

It's a culture of people who
      - get things done.
      - use data to make better decisions.
      - enjoy having good conversations

Cons

So much work in so many different directions

6. Not Bad At All

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

Great resource for making some money on the side if you're passionate about tutoring others. There's a wide range of subjects to tutor in, so you can easily find something that you enjoy teaching.

Cons

Money made during school year, and not when school is out.

7. Decent part time job

Current Employee - Math Tutor II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Math Tutor II in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Work from home
    -Clients are brought to you, you don't have to find or negotiate with them
    -Relatively consistent pay, small occasional raises and bonuses
    -Proprietary software to help with tutoring
    -Since it is online, it is easier to look up things / research in the middle of a session in case you aren't sure about a topic
    -Opportunity to gain experience and mastery with a variety of subjects.

Cons

-Clients are charged much more than Tutors are paid; the majority of the money is never seen by the tutors. Relatively low pay, although not horrible

-The proprietary software is based on internet explorer and frequently has bugs or design flaws for both students and tutors

-Absurdly strict rules about not sharing personal information or connecting with clients outside of the system. If you do it once, you're fired. This may not seem like a big deal, but you do get some regular students who are adults and might benefit from help outside of the Tutor.com system. Management probably is just paranoid that tutors would cut out the middle man once they had built a relationship with a student.

-Mediocre mentoring system. Mentors are required to do regular reviews. If you get a nice mentor, it's a simple and relatively painless process, but if you happen to have a bad mentor, it would be miserable. From my experience and what I've heard, the mentors don't help a great deal in either case. Mentors are also unable to provide letters of recommendation in case you are applying for a different or additional job.

-Scarcity of hours. In the best of times, you're only allowed to schedule about 7 hours a week. Depending on subjects, the available hours to schedule might be snapped up in minutes of when scheduling opens. You can 'float' (be signed in and ready to take overflow chats) for additional time, but only if there is enough demand in your subject areas.

-Lack of substantive tutor support resources.

-No way to contact students after a chat ends

-No way to end a chat after first 10 minutes if you aren't able to help a student for some reason.

-Ratings, which are the basis of raises, bonuses, and punitive actions, are more about how well you deal with people rather than ability as a tutor.

Advice to Management

Please increase the pay for tutors, and provide more resources for tutors to learn and improve.

A good learning opportunity but poor mentoring system.

Current Employee - Tutor II
    Current Employee - Tutor II

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

Flexible hours.
    Tutor from home.
    A good paying job if you're looking to broaden your knowledge base, but I wouldn't recommend it for more than a year or two.

Their obsession with having tutors break things down more does transfer to the real world when people don't understand things. I find breaking things down more helps better communicate my arguments, which I wouldn't have realized without the constant criticism from management.

Cons

Mentors have a tendency to nitpick, to the point of absurdity. Will typically complain about "giving answers" yet what they really mean is providing steps, which is an argument you could always make because its always possible to break things down more, but should I really have to break down why 2+2=4? I view it more as a funnel to prevent people from being promoted, so my suggestion would be to ignore it because you'll have to fight a fairly hard battle to get promoted to tutor 2 status.

Advice to Management

U hafin a gabber m8?

9. Great money to help pay your bills (English Essay Writing Tutor)

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time

Pros

-Flexibility of the hours
    -Get to work with a lot of different students (PLENTY of students who need help, especially on Sunday nights)
    -Don't have to continue working with the same students over and over again
    -Get to schedule hours to work
    -Get to "float" for extra hours when you're not scheduled to work
    -Have a very in-depth manual to help prepare you for the job
    -Mentors are very helpful and are great go-to sources when you're trying to acclimate yourself to the classroom
    -Decent pay and great incentives
    -Classroom is simple to use and effective

I enjoy this job. I make enough money every month to pay my car note and car insurance. I could undoubtedly make much more than that, but due to time limitations and other responsibilities in my life, I'm restricted by how much time I can dedicate to tutoring. You can make however much you want to make. Set yourself a feasible goal (let's say, $700/month), and then schedule the maximum amount of hours allotted for a week, pick up other tutors' dropped hours when they let them go, and "float" as much as possible.

-It's very fulfilling to read the positive reviews that content students leave you

-Upper management is very supportive and understanding. I've gotten in trouble countless times for a variety of things (missing scheduled hours, having too many crashed sessions, not clarifying the question enough, rejecting too many assignments, missing too many assignments while marked "available," etc.). Despite being in trouble quite a few times, I did not get fired. I received warnings and even a phone call, but thankfully, they were willing to work with me (probably because I get so many great reviews from happy students.)

Cons

-Often difficult to schedule hours that you actually want because they get taken so quickly. Also, they cap you at 6 hours a week (5 if you're probationary). This means you can only schedule up to 6 hours a week (but you can float however much you want). On Saturdays, whatever hours are left on the schedule, anyone can schedule more hours past their "caps." The problem here is the only times available are usually at 2, 3, and 4 o'clock in the morning--the absolute worst times to tutor for the average individual.

-Classroom tends to crash too often for my liking in the middle of a tutoring session, which can be very frustrating for both you and the student. They are very confidential about what information can be shared, so if something goes wrong in the middle of the classroom, often time you and the student will lose whatever you've been working on. In the event that you don't lose the changes to the file, you can't send it to the student. You can only send it to support and hope that they are able to match it to the student.

-Other sites make way more money. For example, instaEDU starts you off with $20/hr as oppose to Tutor.com's $11.50/hr. The con to this is that while instaEDU pays more, you can barely pick up a lesson to save your life! Tutor.com, however, has an almost endless flow of lessons available. So you do the math--$20/hr for 1 lesson a day at instaEDU (if you're lucky), or $12.50/hr for 5 lessons a day at Tutor.com.

-As others have stated, some students are rude and very unpleasant to work with. (Even with the worst students, I've never gotten a bad review, though). It's all about how you handle rude, difficult students. Stay positive, avoid the urge to catch an attitude back at them, avoid the urge to press "end session," use lots of happy face emoticons and often say things like, "I apologize for having such a hard time understanding what you're asking me. So let me get this right. You want..."

-When you log in, you have to be available for both live and asynchronous sessions. Sometimes, the business of your life might make you only available for an asynch session, but there's no option to toggle on or off live sessions. I feel like this is very unfortunate.

Advice to Management

Similar to instaEDU's setup, give us an option to toggle on or off live sessions. Sometimes we are only available for async sessions due to a loud background. It's unfair that we're unable to tutor asynchronously just because our background is loud.

10. Ok for spare money

Former Employee - Tutor I in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Tutor I in New York, NY

I worked at Tutor.com part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, relatively easy job

Cons

Your mentor can really decide whether this job is easy or hard - my boyfriend had a mentor that was terrible, kept giving him poor reviews for not improving his percentages but he couldn't get enough hours to bring them up given how the schedule is done. However, mine was really nice and didn't seem to care about my percentages. Also, the students can be freaking horrible to deal with.

Advice to Management

Choose your mentors better.

11. I tutor geometry, trigonometry, and algebra.

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Tutoring positions don't require extreme obligation, provide above minimum wage pay, and allow for very flexible hours. The Majority of students are very respectful.

Cons

The software is somewhat buggy, and there is no actual person-to-person interaction with others in the company. There is a supervisor, but we only communicate through email once a month.

Advice to Management

Payment information should be more accessible, and the online classroom should have some of its bugs worked out to be more useful.

RSS Feed </> Embed