Tutor.com Reviews

Updated October 16, 2014
Updated October 16, 2014
3.4

Mandy Ginsberg

Pros
  • The ability to work from home and some flexibility in scheduling of hours (in 30 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Impact children - Make a difference every day - mentoring/support (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Their pay is low, 30% of what a face to face tutor would make (in 10 reviews)

• I found that the hours available were just not adequate for this to be more than a part-time side job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent way to make use of my college degree and get some real experience

Current Employee - Math Tutor II in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Math Tutor II in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Tutor.com gives you the chance to work with mentors who will guide you on the path to becoming a better tutor, while developing your own personal style. The scheduling is totally flexible and the pay is decent considering you can get in with virtually zero experience, and there's a really decent promotion schedule. Setting your own schedule and being able to work almost whenever you want is a really nice feature.

Cons

The job has a few downsides - the pay for concurrent sessions is less than it should be, hours can be difficult to find sometimes (your personal availability schedule does not always match peak student schedule), and connecting with students long-term to give them the real, individualized help they need is all but impossible because of the anonymous, randomly-assigned nature of the sessions.

Make it so that more students are approved for longer sessions; one of the most common frustrations as a tutor (and for the students!) is having to end a session right as we're starting to make progress because one or two problems have been solved. No other customer service business works this way.

Great place to work & great people

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com (more than 5 years)

Pros

Awesome company culture with a ton of really nice and smart people. Fulfilling mission helping students succeed. Beautiful office in the IAC building. Tons of opportunity to move up, if you're flexible and willing to work hard. Ridiculous snack bar selection, ping pong tables, and other dot-com amenities.

Cons

IAC building is gorgeous, but not the easiest commute unless you live on the west side.

Somewhat understaffed (everyone wears a lot of different hats and has more work to do than hours to do it in), so maybe not the best environment for people more used to a big-company culture where folks have clearly and narrowly defined roles. But awesome if you're comfortable in a more startup-esque environment.

Not really a con (more of a piece of advice): Culture can seem a bit cliquey at times, but if you put in even a token effort to be friendly, you're in the clique. Just put yourself out there.

Don't lose focus on existing clients and product lines as you expand the business - keep staffing these businesses up too! But overall, keep on rocking.

Great Company!

Current Employee - Tutor I
    Current Employee - Tutor I

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexibility, working with the students

Cons

working with the students is not always the funnest

provide mentors with more ways to review tutors

Easy way to get started tutoring online

Current Employee - Math Tutor
    Current Employee - Math Tutor

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

-flexible scheduling; you can schedule tutoring hours, or sign on at any time for flexible tutoring. During weekday nights tutoring requests come in consistently
    -Good mentor who gave me helpful suggestions to improve my tutoring

Cons

-Low pay compared to in-person tutoring
    -Sometimes difficult to keep ratings up as you get students who will sign out without doing any real work then giving you a low rating
    -Sometimes the software crashes unexpectedly

Hard work for low pay - A lot of hustle is needed

Current Employee - Tutor I in Shawnee, KS
    Current Employee - Tutor I in Shawnee, KS

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can work from home and can theoretically get hours any time of the day (this tends to be a struggle). This is a good way to keep abreast with the fundamentals of the topic you are teaching. Most students are pleasant and thankful for your help.

Cons

I took this job as something to do while I find a more permanent position, so here is my experience thus far. The hiring process was slow, expect at least a month. Toward the last stages I had to email and ask what was going on. Their response was essentially 'whoops, you're approved and can start tutoring now'.

In general, everything about the company is a bit vague and if you want answers you have to go through all the resource manuals. The administration if notoriously bad about getting back to you. You get a mentor to help with questions. But I have been doing this job about 1.5 months and sent her 3 emails. She has not replied to any of them.

As a newbie, you only get to schedule hours at the end of the week, and you only get to schedule 5 a week. This seems fair since you are new. After a few weeks, you are allowed to schedule up to 30/wk. but this is hard to achieve. You can only schedule 5 hours first on your assigned day (Friday for newbies). Then, all remaining hours open up at noon on Saturday to ALL tutors. It is hard to get more than 5 hours since most hours taken by Saturday, except the 3-4 am spots. When you are scheduled to work, as long as you are signed on, you get paid. But if you are not actively tutoring, online time is only $5.50/hr.

You get 60 days to achieve the requirements to move to an actual tutor. Once you do you will make at least $13/hr. You get bonuses for having good ratings as long as you work 30 hours that month. Getting these hours is way harder than anticipated. If you can't schedule actual hours you can 'float'. So if you are signed in, you may get to tutor if they have a lot of requests. If you are floating, you only get paid if you are actively tutoring. So, you can be signed in all day, but may only do 4 hours of actual tutoring/pay time.

You get periodic reviews, especially in the beginning. As with any review, it seems as if they only stick to the negative, and pull out irrelevant critique. For example, my first evaluation was saying that I scheduled hours but then missed over %70 of them. Well, for the first couple of weeks I didn't even schedule any hours since I got last pick and there were no hours available by the time I got there. The day I received the review was the first day I had scheduled hours. Until then, I only floated. So, I couldn't have been missing scheduled hours as I saw it. But I emailed my mentor on this to make sure I was following procedure and understanding everything. I am still waiting to hear back about that...

When tutoring, you have two complications. You often have a time limit to answer the question (~23 minutes). I do chemistry, it is often hard to rush someone through in this time. I noticed trying to adhere to this time limit lowered my rating. (You must have 4.3/5 to be allowed to stay as a tutor, 4.7 to be top tier.) They also want you to tutor two at one (not all the time). Sometimes you can teach with voice (there is no video at this time), but mostly it is chat and drawing on a board. It is hard to attend to two students. Your ratings go down since students are frustrated with waiting.

Long story short, this job is NOT a way to make a living. It is only for extra cash at best. You have to hustle and stay on your game to get hours and keep ratings high. And you will not have much contact with administration, nor will you feel valued or supported.

Return emails! Give more reasonable/helpful reviews. At least pretend like you care about the people that are helping you make money.

Current tutor for Tutor.com

Current Employee - English Tutor in Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - English Tutor in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have a great mentor tutor who reviews many of my sessions and provides positive, constructive criticism so that I may improve my tutoring and move up the ladder.
    Recently, everyone received a raise across the board, and also tutor.com implemented a "dual session" pay increase on top of the raise.
    Tutor.com does not leave its tutors in the dark about ANYTHING, including students who just want answers and expect the tutor to give them. The virtual classroom has features designed to keep abusive students out. I have never had a reason to complain about anyone who works for Tutor.com. Everyone is very supportive and helpful. I love working for them! PS: I love the fact that you do not have to be scheduled to work to actually get paid for tutoring. You get paid for any hours you schedule (as long as you are signed in during those hours) whether you tutor anyone or not; however, you can also sign in and tutor during hours you are not scheduled for--which is great!

Cons

Until a tutor reaches level 3 status, choice of scheduled tutoring hours will remain bad. Level 3 tutors get first pick. By the time a level 1 gets to pick scheduling hours, they usually are stuck with the 12am-5am times.
    Pay is only once a month, which sucks. Also, we are supposed to be paid on the 4th of the month, but the fine print states anywhere from the 4th through the 8th of the month. This is, needless to say, extremely nerve wracking because bills do not have flexible days to be paid.

Bi-weekly pay, please.
    More schedule availability for lower level tutors (all we ever get are the crap hours)

Good work for a college student

Former Employee - Calculus Tutor in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Calculus Tutor in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Tutor.com as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You have a very flexible schedule.
    You can work on own time, day or night.
    It is pretty easy money for a college kid.

Cons

Must be dedicated to work.
    Easy to get distracted.
    Requires solid connection to Internet.
    Sometimes the kids can ask impossible questions.

N/a

Flexible hours, low wage with small bonuses, pressure to manage time and customers

Former Employee - Tutor I in North Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor I in North Sacramento, CA

I worked at Tutor.com as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Except for negligible minimums required to remain an active tutor, there are no mandated hours. When I worked for Tutor.com, I could find sessions to tutor whenever I checked, provided I was sometimes willing to wait five or ten minutes. Bonuses are paid to tutors whose students leave exceptionally good reviews or who sign in to tutor when demand for sessions in their subject exceeds current supply. For bonuses of the second kind, the tutor chooses to be notified when tutors in his or her subject area are needed and students are waiting, and then signs in after receiving a notification.

Cons

There is little interaction between a tutor and his or her assigned "mentor", a more senior tutor who receives pay for acting as mentor. No substantive advice or training is provided, although online tutorials in the company software and specific topics are available. Sessions demand constant time management and can be stressful, particularly if the student is not responsive, hostile, or bad at expressing his or her problems.

Working for Tutor.com is a flexible and rewarding experience

Current Employee - Online Tutor in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Online Tutor in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

As a graduate student, Tutor.com provided me with a flexibility work schedule to earn a more-than-adequate hourly wage, while not interfering with my class schedule.

Cons

There can be significant connection issues at times, which comes with providing online tutoring services.

A mostly pleasant experience.

I worked at Tutor.com

Pros

Super convenient. You get to tutor in your pajamas. It was a great experience builder while I was trying to get a full-time teaching job. The online classroom software is really neat!

Cons

The pay is pretty low, especially for saturated subjects like English. They have plenty of English tutors, so you have to snap up the hours you want ASAP.

Tutor.com Photos

Meeting in the lounge
Cinco de Mayo lunch
Leaving World Cup viewing in IAC lobby
Packing giveaways in the Tutor.com office

+ Add Photo