Tutor.com Reviews

Updated March 26, 2015
147 reviews filtered by
Mandy Ginsberg

Pros
  • The ability to work from home and some flexibility in scheduling of hours (in 32 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Impact children - Make a difference every day - mentoring/support (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • the mentors are horrible, pay is low and you always receive negative comments but no positive (in 13 reviews)

• I found that the hours available were just not adequate for this to be more than a part-time side job (in 9 reviews)

1. Tutor Level II

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

Set your own hours. Flexible. Work from home. Minimal time spent training or with mentors or bosses. Software is easy to manage

Cons

Hourly pay is low considering you pay your own payroll taxes. Clients are often troublesome to work with to downright abusive.

2. Tutoring Roulette

Current Contractor - Tutor I in Akron, OH
    Current Contractor - Tutor I in Akron, OH

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Easy to test for additional subjects; ability to work from home; flexible hours; most students are pleasant to work with; mentors can be very helpful if you are lucky enough to get a good one; some of their in-house educational materials are surprisingly good; while pay is low, it is still more than you would make flipping burgers.

Cons

Working here is an online game of Russian roulette. A large component of your performance evaluation is based on student ratings which are sometimes arbitrary. One student who is angry because you won't do his homework (because it is against company policy), and your rating is blown. Tutor.com will not remove any ratings, no matter how unjustified, so you are at the mercy of frustrated, bored, spiteful or unreasonable students. As others have mentioned, some mentors are better than others. My first mentor was actually quite good and gave helpful advice. I added a new subject and was transferred to one who is less wonderful. Again, it's a big game of Russian roulette.

Either ditch the student ratings or require every student to provide one for every session. As it is, there is a natural bias toward negative ratings.

3. Great company, flexible work hours

Former Employee - QA Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Tutor.com full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work from home once in a week

Cons

Salary should have been better

N/A

5. Tutor I

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

Flexible hours. You decide when and where to tutor

Cons

SOOO Little pay. Mentors are not very important

increase wage

6. Flexible but not consistent.

Current Employee - Tutor I

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved being able to work my own hours at any time of day. Also, testing to take up new teaching subjects was easy and immediate. Working from home is also a plus in my situation.

Cons

Your hours are inconsistent. I had a hard time meeting the number of hours I needed because many times the students just simply wouldn't be there. You cannot work full time. The work is somewhat monotonous as there are only so many ways to edit a term paper...and doing it over and over again every day can be taxing.

I have no real critique at the moment. This job is perfect for someone who needs a flexible schedule with plenty of autonomy, which is what I needed during a cross country move while having health issues.

Luck of the draw, so far so good, wage is actually okay but leaves more to be desired in the support department

Current Contractor - Tutor
    Current Contractor - Tutor

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

You can work from home with very flexible hours. If you tutor a more in demand subject you are more likely to get tutoring sessions. Also so far I'm still a probationary tutor, but the mentor that I have been paired with has been very supportive of me and actually has been giving me good advice and feedback. While there is a 5 hour a week minimum I get most of these through floating, not through scheduling since I'm still in college and done with class when kids need help with their homework. If I can make it out of probationary I get a dollar raise with the next level, which is nice considering most of the jobs on my campus pay at most $10 which is the starting wage here.

Cons

It took me over a month to be hired, and I don't like how they have outsourced the help. Sometimes I want to be able to call someone and speak with a live person if the whiteboard is malfunctioning. Not all people have been so lucky to have a good mentor from the looks of some of these other reviews, and this can make it hard to know what you need to improve on and what you are doing correctly.

8. Stressful but work from home

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

I have enjoyed the ability to basically work from home for the past couple of months. It is easy to get hours in the middle of the semester and the direct deposit is very useful.

Cons

I dislike some of the students. Some of them rush you and continue to ask you for the answer. Then once you give them the answer they complain that you didn't teach them properly.

Reorganize the mentor system. The first assessment I got was useful but after that all of the assessments were basically a copy paste of the first one. I doubt they even looked through the sessions.

9. Rewarding in more ways than one!

Current Employee - Tutor I

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I mainly float,which means that I don't schedule sessions, I just log on and tutor whichever students are sent my way. Tutoring is a great way to pick up some extra money without having to devote loads of time to it.The students are generally polite and have a basic understanding of the concepts, they just need some homework help, or someone to proofread an essay.

Cons

Students ca get rude, and sometimes come into the session essentially asking you to do the work for them and refusing to work with you. It can be very difficult to try to guide them through to find the answer themselves when this happens. Students will often also mislabel the topic of their session, so I've gotten sent students who needed help with an area that is out of my expertise.

Have some way to let tutors choose which subjects they wish to tutor in that day, especially if they're just floating. And let the tutor know what grade the student is in--it would allow them to better tune their advice to the level of the student.

Great for part time, or extra income. Hours are at your own discretion.

Current Employee - Math Tutor II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Math Tutor II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tutor.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-incentives
    -choose your own hours
    -positive and frequent feedback
    -great tutoring experience

Cons

-can go hours at the computer unpaid if no students are around
    -must have many subjects under your belt to be worthwhile

11. Engaging and fulfilling

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can work on own time schedule for most part

Cons

Will deal with the occasional ill-tempered consumer

Tutor.com Photos