Tutor.com

Updated February 14, 2015
Updated February 14, 2015
2.7

Mandy Ginsberg

Pros
  • The ability to work from home and some flexibility in scheduling of hours (in 32 reviews)

• Flexible Schedule - Impact children - Make a difference every day - mentoring/support (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • the mentors are horrible, pay is low and you always receive negative comments but no positive (in 13 reviews)

• I found that the hours available were just not adequate for this to be more than a part-time side job (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Luck of the draw, so far so good, wage is actually okay but leaves more to be desired in the support department

Current Contractor - Tutor
    Current Contractor - Tutor

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

You can work from home with very flexible hours. If you tutor a more in demand subject you are more likely to get tutoring sessions. Also so far I'm still a probationary tutor, but the mentor that I have been paired with has been very supportive of me and actually has been giving me good advice and feedback. While there is a 5 hour a week minimum I get most of these through floating, not through scheduling since I'm still in college and done with class when kids need help with their homework. If I can make it out of probationary I get a dollar raise with the next level, which is nice considering most of the jobs on my campus pay at most $10 which is the starting wage here.

Cons

It took me over a month to be hired, and I don't like how they have outsourced the help. Sometimes I want to be able to call someone and speak with a live person if the whiteboard is malfunctioning. Not all people have been so lucky to have a good mentor from the looks of some of these other reviews, and this can make it hard to know what you need to improve on and what you are doing correctly.

Decent Part-time Work for a College Student

Current Employee - Tutor - Level I (Calculus/Trigonometry/Geometry) in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

- Work from home or anywhere with a decent internet connection.
    - Can choose how many hours you work per week and it's fine to take a few weeks off every once in a while if you need to devote more time to your classes (I'm a college student, so this is nice when classes start getting tough).
    - I have a great mentor who gives me good/helpful assessments
    - Don't need to look for students to tutor or a place to meet; all of this is done online and handled by the tutor.com system

Cons

- Every session is recorded and reviewed by a mentor, which can get a bit bothersome.
    - Getting the scheduled hours you prefer for the next week is difficult. As soon as the schedule opens up, available hour slots are taken up very quickly...almost all gone by the next minute or two, unless it's an off-term period like winter or summer break.
    - Not really paid enough for the tutoring services you provide.

- Don't encourage concurrent sessions with a 15% bonus rate: it's too difficult to stay focused on each session at the same time, and there should really be more hours available for scheduling if more students need to be accommodated.

Need to update functionality of the classroom software:
    - For example (this happens ALL the time), when you are writing something on the whiteboard near the bottom of the screen, students tend to scroll down the view on their end, which messes up what you're writing. There should be a locking mechanism on scrolling the screen while the tutor is writing that prevents this from happening.
    - It's hard to write clearly with the pen tool. It would be nice if there were some way to smooth out the lines you draw after you finish them, like in adobe acrobat.
    - Give more than 10 seconds to accept a request. Sometimes I won't have any session requests for a while and I want to leave my computer very briefly to use the bathroom or make a snack, but I risk lowering my acceptance rate if a window pops up that only gives me 10 seconds to respond before it rejects the session request.

Great for part time, or extra income. Hours are at your own discretion.

Current Employee - Math Tutor II in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Math Tutor II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Tutor.com full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-incentives
    -choose your own hours
    -positive and frequent feedback
    -great tutoring experience

Cons

-can go hours at the computer unpaid if no students are around
    -must have many subjects under your belt to be worthwhile

Stressful but work from home

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

I have enjoyed the ability to basically work from home for the past couple of months. It is easy to get hours in the middle of the semester and the direct deposit is very useful.

Cons

I dislike some of the students. Some of them rush you and continue to ask you for the answer. Then once you give them the answer they complain that you didn't teach them properly.

Reorganize the mentor system. The first assessment I got was useful but after that all of the assessments were basically a copy paste of the first one. I doubt they even looked through the sessions.

Rewarding in more ways than one!

Current Employee - Tutor I
    Current Employee - Tutor I

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I mainly float,which means that I don't schedule sessions, I just log on and tutor whichever students are sent my way. Tutoring is a great way to pick up some extra money without having to devote loads of time to it.The students are generally polite and have a basic understanding of the concepts, they just need some homework help, or someone to proofread an essay.

Cons

Students ca get rude, and sometimes come into the session essentially asking you to do the work for them and refusing to work with you. It can be very difficult to try to guide them through to find the answer themselves when this happens. Students will often also mislabel the topic of their session, so I've gotten sent students who needed help with an area that is out of my expertise.

Have some way to let tutors choose which subjects they wish to tutor in that day, especially if they're just floating. And let the tutor know what grade the student is in--it would allow them to better tune their advice to the level of the student.

Not a bad company to work for

Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Tutor in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The mentors (your supervisors as a tutor) are very flexible and usually quite helpful
    Lots of different subjects to choose from
    Work whenever you want, for basically however much you want
    Fantastic job for college students

Cons

The whiteboard program can be iffy at times
    The students are sometimes troublesome
    Mentors may take a very long time to give you your monthly review (i.e. several months)

Engaging and fulfilling

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Can work on own time schedule for most part

Cons

Will deal with the occasional ill-tempered consumer

Tutor.com was a unique experience for me.

Former Employee - Math Tutor II in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Math Tutor II in Chicago, IL

I worked at Tutor.com

Pros

You can work any time day or night
    You can tutor students in various subjects you're qualified for
    You can take on more than one session at a time and make double your money

Cons

You must follow tutor.com's tutoring philosophy
    Limited availability of subject area
    Some subjects they provide have no openings

Biased rating system, low pay

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility
    No recommendation letter required when applying.

Cons

The probationary pay is only $10 per hour
    You're probably be stuck in probation, since you need over a 4.3 rating to move up, and sometimes you deal with the dumbest kids.

Yes, I've had explain the difference between the x and the y axis to someone with a trigonometry question. I've had students with Algebra 2 problems who don't even know what is a linear equation. When stupid students get upset and give you a low rating, you're the one getting punished for it.

Change the rating system and pay more.

Tutoring online has been a good experience.

Current Employee - Chemistry Tutor
    Current Employee - Chemistry Tutor

I have been working at Tutor.com

Pros

You get to work on your schedule in the comfort of your own home. Even if you aren't scheduled to tutor, you can log in tutor and get paid.

Cons

It can be hard to schedule the hours you want. The call on the hours you can schedule initially is pretty low.

Tutor.com Photos