Tutor.com
www.tutor.com New York, NY 150 to 499 Employees

Tutor.com Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2014
Tutor.com – New York – “Packing giveaways in the Tutor.com office”

Tutor.com CEO George Cigale

George Cigale

Pros:
  • "The ability to work from home and some flexibility in scheduling of hours"
    in 23 reviews
  • "Flexible schedule, work from home"
    in 21 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you do the work for them, even if they give you a '5', your mentor will flag you for giving answers"
    in 8 reviews
  • "I found that the hours available were just not adequate for this to be more than a part-time side job"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not the perfect job, but I like it

Probationary Tutor (Current Employee)

ProsI love working at home whenever I feel up to it. I am disabled and setting my own schedule is very important to me and makes my life a lot better. 90-95% of my students have been pleasant and made my job easy, although you occasionally get stinkers. I have a fantastic mentor (who I suppose would be my supervisor) and she gives great feedback and is always available to me.

ConsThe system only works on Macs and sometimes won't connect if you're on a weak connection. The pay isn't great (but if you're like me and have only ever earned that much in your life, it's not annoying). The checks only come once a month and I wish it was twice.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great to have greater training opportunities.

Decent for part time work

Probationary Tutor (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsFlexible hours, great for students or part time work
    Being able to help a student is a satisfying feeling

ConsThe mentoring can be overly picky. I am a probationary tutor for mathematics and statistics, and I have met
    the requirements to move up to Tutor I status, but after my last assessment, I was told that my Algebra I rating was too low. My sessions are divided up into Algebra I, Algebra II and Statistics. I rarely receive Algebra I requests, but two of the ones that I did, the student disconnected from the session before I had a chance to really tutor, and gave me a low rating. All of my other subjects were high rated, but they considered it an issue that my average rating for Algebra was low. I feel as though my 4.9 rating in statistics I should be qualified to give them a lesson or two on low sample sizes! Anyways, it was easier to just drop Algebra I from my teachable, since I don't enjoy tutoring the lower level maths as much anyways. It just annoyed me that they would hold something against me with such a low sample size. (But when they have to dish out money for bonuses of being over a certain rating for the month...some reason they remember the sample size issue!)

Most students are fun to work with, but once and a while you get an inexplicably rude student and your rating will take a hit.

Advice to Senior ManagementA binary rating system would be better than a 5 point scale. The majority of students chose 5 or 1 anyways.
    Another option would be to take the median 90% of ratings. Both of these options would eliminate the severity of those undeserved low ratings that will inevitably come up no matter how good a tutor you are (connection issues, rude students, students fooling around, etc. )

One low rating takes several rated sessions to recover from. I agree that they are a good predictor in the long run, but they are terrible predictor in the short run, so please don't make decisions whether to promote or not based on small sample sizes from a certain subject, especially when related subjects with larger sample size have decent ratings.

Also, mentors should be more encouraging and give advice about actual tutoring. So far, the only advice I get is about how to better follow the company policy, which is important, but I hardly get any advice on how to actually improve my tutoring.

Students' teachers are the worst part

Tutor (Current Employee)

ProsMy mentor is very nice and helpful. Most of the students are nice, though some of the summer school kids can be pretty obnoxious and demanding. You can schedule your own hours and get to stay at home. I've been paid worse.

ConsYou get a lot of students who are homeschooled or who go to very conservative religious private schools. Many of their assignments and text books do not follow proper academic standards, so it can be difficult to know how to help them without upsetting the institutions or teachers. I think I find ways to explain to them what is expected in academics more broadly without crossing the line. But it can just be frustrating and disturbing to see what's taught some places!
    Also, they freeze promotions in the summer, which is pretty annoying, since I haven't seen any change in business, even thought they say that they have fewer customers and that's the reason why they freeze them. In fact, at least one student this summer said that he had to wait hours to get connected to a tutor. Probably because tutors have less incentive to work if they know they will not get promoted or receive some of the benefits they get during the school year. They've upped the pay scale a bit recently, but it is still frustrating because I know I could be making even more if they just promoted me (which they would if they were promoting anyone).
    The sessions with time limitations can be frustrating for the student and tutor, because not much can be accomplished in them. It can also be awkward because you have to come up with excuses to end the session, sometimes only to be reconnected with that same student when they sign on again. You also have to ask lots of "clarifying questions" that are really just a waste of time, especially in these shorter sessions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the software available for OSX. Continue promotions during the summer.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A Good Part-time Job

ProsFlexible hours with decent pay for college students. There are many opportunities for raises and bonuses depending on performance. Students are generally nice. Management does seems to address issues that arise from many tutors through the newsletters.

ConsThere's a time limit for each session which can be hard to meet if a student is responding slowly or has a complicated question. Also, the pay is decent for a part-time job, but it seems to me that they expect high-quality tutors with through content knowledge to be satisfied with relatively low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnable more tutor-to-tutor interaction

Chemistry Tutor

Denver, CO

ProsFlexible hours, work at home, set your own hours. This is great work for when you want to sit back and relax one night. I sometimes tutor while a repeat episode of a show is on - that way if a student shows up, I don't mind missing out. It's a good job if you just want to make a few extra bucks.

ConsLow payment (my salary is 14-16$/hour). When I tutor in person, I charge anywhere between 40-60$.

I joined 7 years ago and was very active in the first 2 years (about 20-40 hours a week). At one point, I had met all the criteria for a promotion for the next tutor status (hours, tutoring sessions, and rating) but they emailed me and said "yes you have met it but currently we are not promoting any tutor" for whatever the reason. So for the past 5 years, I have only been tutoring here an there about 3 hours a month.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope there are ways to increase pay rate if a student is requesting for you - or if you bring a student into tutor.com.

Decent online work

Tutor (Current Employee)

ProsLots of flexibility in picking hours, most of the "mentors" are friendly and helpful. The kids are generally nice, and the pay is decent (varies based on the subjects you teach and time working with them) Upper level Math and Science are definitiely in higher demand and better compensated.

ConsNot a lot of hours available if you tutor humanities and lower level subjects

Some issues, but overall a good work-from-home option.

Tutor III, Former Mentor (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

Pros- Flexible hours. Most online tutoring services require certain hours and/or a specific number of hours per day. Tutor.com lets you tutor as much or as little as you like.
    - Work from home. As a private tutor, sometimes I do work from home, but most of the time I have to travel to clients.
    - Guaranteed clientele. When you work as a private tutor, you have to develop your own customers, do advertising, etc. With Tutor.com, you always have a backup for when you don't have your own clients.

Cons- Mentoring. Much of what other reviewers have said about the mentoring system is correct. Having been a mentor myself for 3 years in the past, I second another review on here about how mentors are forced to cram work into tighter and tighter time limits, not give personalized feedback, etc. So for the tutors who complain, realize that the mentors have just as much difficulty as you do, except that they are part-time employees who have to answer to management. That said, as a mentor, you wouldn't believe the things I saw from tutors: wrong content (how does that help the student?), giving answers (like actually doing the problem for the student without any explanation), zero teaching/tutoring skills. Take some of the tutor complaints about mentors with a grain of salt. If you have good pedagogy and know the content of your subject, you shouldn't have a difficult time with your mentor.
    - Low pay. Depending on where you live, minimum wage at a retail job may pay more. Of course, then you have to leave home... Still, for a service that wants subject experts in a given field, the pay is extremely low. You can make 2-3 times as much tutoring private clients.
    - Seasonal work. Demand follows the typical school year, so summers, Christmas break, and spring break have low student usage meaning not much work for tutors.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the mentoring system. Provide tutors with ways to communicate with each other, like message boards or forums. Have experienced tutors truly mentor new tutors on a 1-to-1 basis. Increase pay for tutors. If you want subject experts, you should pay them accordingly.

It's a good way to earn some extra cash while you're sitting and browsing around.

ProsYou can have access from anywhere at anytime. If you recently lost your job or in the transition of graduation and job hunting, this is the best for you to at least to be able to buy you're own groceries.

ConsYou have to download the tools in the computer. There's no web tool available. They pay is competitively low. You should rather tutor HS or college students in your locality and easily earn way more than $10/hr which is unfortunately the average pay of a Tutor 1.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the probationary tutors a little more respectful to the new tutors. They treat them like trash. Also, increase the pay at least 50% so that more smart people start tutoring or spend more time floatung and being available.

Decent for part-time student work

English Tutor (Former Employee)

ProsWorking from home with flexibility in scheduling your own hours every week. Worked well with a college student lifestyle in terms of needing to adjust my schedule around classes. Mentor system was helpful and mentors encouraging.

ConsI found that the hours available were just not adequate for this to be more than a part-time side job. It was often difficult to keep sessions within the time limit the company requests. Students were often very rude, and it was stressful to deal with those. While this was a good job for me as a college student and very recent graduate, I was not able to make this into an adequate career.

No real mentoring to encourage growth and very limited hours. Not worth it.

ProsWork from home, students are engaged for the most part, Voice sessions not a requirement

ConsLeadership is a joke. You are assigned a mentor who provides you with periodic reviews, report card style, and they are extremely picky about your percentages. Accepted requests vs. denied requests. Many times you receive requests that are not in your subject area and they count against you in the end. Other times, the question is beyond the scope of what is offered. There is no mentoring to encourage promotions to higher tutor levels. Getting hours is also quite difficult and are gone pretty quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a real strategy to encourage personal growth from within your tutors. While percentages are important, there are many factors that can skew the monthly totals on occasion. Mentor feedback should be more personal.

Worked for Tutor.com? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Tutor.com reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Tutor.com CEO George Cigale. All 102 reviews posted anonymously by Tutor.com employees.