Tutor.com Reviews

Updated September 15, 2014
3.3

Mandy Ginsberg
1 Rating

Pros
  • The ability to work from home and some flexibility in scheduling of hours (in 27 reviews)

• Flexible schedule, work from home (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Their pay is low, 30% of what a face to face tutor would make (in 8 reviews)

• giving answers (like actually doing the problem for the student without any explanation), zero teaching/tutoring skills (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Current tutor for Tutor.com

Current Employee - English Tutor  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - English Tutor in Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time for less than a year

Pros

I have a great mentor tutor who reviews many of my sessions and provides positive, constructive criticism so that I may improve my tutoring and move up the ladder.
    Recently, everyone received a raise across the board, and also tutor.com implemented a "dual session" pay increase on top of the raise.
    Tutor.com does not leave its tutors in the dark about ANYTHING, including students who just want answers and expect the tutor to give them. The virtual classroom has features designed to keep abusive students out. I have never had a reason to complain about anyone who works for Tutor.com. Everyone is very supportive and helpful. I love working for them! PS: I love the fact that you do not have to be scheduled to work to actually get paid for tutoring. You get paid for any hours you schedule (as long as you are signed in during those hours) whether you tutor anyone or not; however, you can also sign in and tutor during hours you are not scheduled for--which is great!

Cons

Until a tutor reaches level 3 status, choice of scheduled tutoring hours will remain bad. Level 3 tutors get first pick. By the time a level 1 gets to pick scheduling hours, they usually are stuck with the 12am-5am times.
    Pay is only once a month, which sucks. Also, we are supposed to be paid on the 4th of the month, but the fine print states anywhere from the 4th through the 8th of the month. This is, needless to say, extremely nerve wracking because bills do not have flexible days to be paid.

Bi-weekly pay, please.
    More schedule availability for lower level tutors (all we ever get are the crap hours)

Los Angeles

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Tutor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time for more than a year

Pros

None of this is really true anyway, im only writign this to get free access or whatever. It doesn;t matter. dont even refer to my reveiw.

Cons

I didnt really like it that much. its not that great. time off kinda sucks. Im really only writing this to get free access.

none

Good work for a college student

Former Employee - Calculus Tutor  in  San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Calculus Tutor in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at Tutor.com as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

You have a very flexible schedule.
    You can work on own time, day or night.
    It is pretty easy money for a college kid.

Cons

Must be dedicated to work.
    Easy to get distracted.
    Requires solid connection to Internet.
    Sometimes the kids can ask impossible questions.

N/a

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Flexible hours, low wage with small bonuses, pressure to manage time and customers

Former Employee - Tutor I  in  North Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Tutor I in North Sacramento, CA

I worked at Tutor.com as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Except for negligible minimums required to remain an active tutor, there are no mandated hours. When I worked for Tutor.com, I could find sessions to tutor whenever I checked, provided I was sometimes willing to wait five or ten minutes. Bonuses are paid to tutors whose students leave exceptionally good reviews or who sign in to tutor when demand for sessions in their subject exceeds current supply. For bonuses of the second kind, the tutor chooses to be notified when tutors in his or her subject area are needed and students are waiting, and then signs in after receiving a notification.

Cons

There is little interaction between a tutor and his or her assigned "mentor", a more senior tutor who receives pay for acting as mentor. No substantive advice or training is provided, although online tutorials in the company software and specific topics are available. Sessions demand constant time management and can be stressful, particularly if the student is not responsive, hostile, or bad at expressing his or her problems.

Working for Tutor.com is a flexible and rewarding experience

Current Employee - Online Tutor  in  Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Online Tutor in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

As a graduate student, Tutor.com provided me with a flexibility work schedule to earn a more-than-adequate hourly wage, while not interfering with my class schedule.

Cons

There can be significant connection issues at times, which comes with providing online tutoring services.

A mostly pleasant experience.

I worked at Tutor.com

Pros

Super convenient. You get to tutor in your pajamas. It was a great experience builder while I was trying to get a full-time teaching job. The online classroom software is really neat!

Cons

The pay is pretty low, especially for saturated subjects like English. They have plenty of English tutors, so you have to snap up the hours you want ASAP.

Great company to work for, for recent grads, students, and seasoned educators!

Current Employee - Essay Writing Tutor
    Current Employee - Essay Writing Tutor

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best thing is your can create your own flexible schedule from week to week, and it is a very smooth on-boarding process. The staff are always in communication to resolve any technical issues (since it's online) and new programs. We just merged with The Princeton Review!!

Cons

Sometimes you have a long wait period if there aren't enough students online; also, jump on those schedules!!

Good Work At Home Opportunity that isn't a scam

Current Employee - Math Tutor I  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Math Tutor I in New York, NY

I have been working at Tutor.com part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Having worked for them for a long time it was hard to transition from what things were like to what they changed to be. However this is a good work at home job. If you love tutoring/teaching/working with students this is a great job you can do at your home.

Cons

It's hard to move up, you are constantly watched and evaluated and it's hard to get scheduled hours and you sometimes end up wasting time sitting at your computer and not getting students. Sometimes students are just playing around and not serious and it messes up your scores.

Make more hours available to your tutors and trust them without doing so much micromanaging.

High Potential for Tutors to Fail Due to Poor Management Policies.

I worked at Tutor.com as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

1. Work from home
    2. Low system requirements make it possible to tutor on an older PC

Cons

1. Low Pay. There's been more than enough elaboration on this.

2. Very rude students, and lots of students that are so far behind in math (for example) online tutoring is lost on them. These students need remedial help. Thankfully there is an up and coming tutoring site that has a better caliber of student.

3. Poor management policies place tutors in a lose lose situation. This last one is the reason why I quit, so I will elaborate. Tutor.com has separate categories for chemistry and organic chemistry. A tutor applicant has to take a test in both if he wishes to tutor both. However, Tutor.com claims that not all students can choose "organic chemistry" if that's the kind of tutor they need. I'm not talking basic organic chemistry topics that are taught at the end of a general chem course. These students have hardcore advanced organic questions. The tutors are not allowed to inform the student that organic chemistry tutors are available nor are tutors allowed transfer the student. We are required to accept the session, and if their question is out of our range, all we are allowed to do is inform the student of that fact and politely tell them to reconnect to another tutor that might be able to help them. This response makes students angry, especially if they took the time to type out a long word problem in the session request. Almost all of the students ask for a transfer, and get even angrier when we tell them we can't do it. This has resulted in 1 ratings for me on two occasions. I followed the company's policy, and got a low rating for it. But get this: Tutor.com will not remove those ratings. They still count towards your overall rating, and if it falls below 4.2, you're out. It is set up for the tutor to fail.

1. Do not offer services that cannot be made available to all students. It is INEXCUSABLE to have tutors for a certain subject, but not make those tutors available to all students. This puts the tutors in an unfair position should they get these students.

2. The transfer policy over organic chemistry makes tutors vulnerable to undeserved low ratings. It is unfair to not remove these low retaliatory ratings from the tutor's overall score.

Rewarding experience, don't expect a raise regardless of your performance

Current Employee - Tutor I
    Current Employee - Tutor I

I have been working at Tutor.com as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The job itself is very rewarding. You have an immediate impact on someone's academic success, and when students get a concept that they hadn't before, it's really rewarding. During the school year, hours are fairly easy to get, and being able to choose your hours is a nice perk. There is no need to search for clients, and that makes the incredibly low pay almost worth it.

Cons

During the summer, hours are tough to come by. Pay starts out really low ($9 - $10 depending on subject) and it is nearly impossible to get a status change. There are no clear guidelines for status change; instead the status change is up to your individual mentor. Mentors change at random intervals, and instead of following the guidelines that the previous mentor set forward, the tutor must meet the random preferences of the new mentor who will continually move the goal posts on the tutor to avoid a status change.

The best advice I can give to management is to develop clear guidelines around status changes rather than leave the status change recommendation up to the mentors. Each mentor has his or her personal preference. For example, one mentor indicated that a status change was dependent upon changing tutoring style to be exactly like his, anther set guidelines for status change, but when those guidelines were met, she added another contingency. This degrades the mentor/tutor relationship and diminishes the credibility of both the mentor and the company.

Worked for Tutor.com? Contribute to the Community!