Twentieth Century Fox

Updated September 30, 2014
3.4

Twentieth Century Fox President Jim Gianopoulos
Jim Gianopoulos

Pros
  • Work-life balance is heavily sided toward work (not just at Fox, but in all arenas of its industry) (in 8 reviews)

• Free movie screenings on the lot for Fox movies (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Room for growth is practically non existent unless you are a brown noser (in 6 reviews)

• Employees were constantly squeezed for more work so there is a poor work-life balance (I'm pretty sure they've never heard the term before) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Working for Fox.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Twentieth Century Fox full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company, excellent benefits. Many employee incentives and fun things like free screenings and bbqs on the lot.

Cons

Assistants should be making more money.

Dole out rewards for excellent work ie, employee of the month etc.

It's been great.

Current Employee - Production Coordinator  in  The Woodlands, TX
    Current Employee - Production Coordinator in The Woodlands, TX

I have been working at Twentieth Century Fox full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits and a great station

Cons

A little bit of a trip

We can all work together better to make the network more efficient.

One of the better companies to work for

Former Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Century City, CA

I worked at Twentieth Century Fox full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fox being the giant conglomerate that it is, has a great way of making its employees feel like they are part of a boutique company. It is difficult to break in for many but once you are in, it is much easier to navigate the expansive amount of opportunities available.

Cons

They definitely put up with more crap from their higher uppers than other companies wouldn't tolerate. Their pay needs to significantly improve considering their locale. Their employees probably contribute to most of the LA traffic because everyone commutes to Fox because the surrounding area is too expensive to rent/buy a place. They do NOT budge when you try to negotiate pay.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Company to work for

Current Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst  in  Century City, CA
    Current Employee - IT Senior Business Analyst in Century City, CA

I have been working at Twentieth Century Fox full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you love movies and television there is no better place to work

Cons

The west side is very congested and the daily commute is a nightmare

Great company - employees stay for a long time, but departments can get political.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Twentieth Century Fox full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- fun perks (i.e. movie screenings, feeling of working on lot, studio store, gym)
    - emphasizes fit and culture just as much as skill
    - always meet great people
    - opportunity to grow

Cons

- sometimes too much politics
    - because the company is so big, there is frequent disconnect and miscommunication

Lower pay, little employee respect

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Twentieth Century Fox full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits. Working next to a movie/TV lot was fun. Great employee activities throughout the year. Decent flexibility- especially when putting in overtime.

Cons

I was paid quite a bit less at Fox than I would have been in similar positions in Los Angeles. I NEVER knew who was actually in charge as departments were in the process of "reorg" for the entire three years I worked there. My entire department was unceremoniously laid off during the FIRST WEEK OF MY MATERNITY LEAVE. Zero effort was made to place me in another comparable position at Fox. I was ignored by HR and simply told to check the web site for job availability and to sign my severance. In the end, you are super disposable. Many MANY late nights and weekend hours. Little chance to move vertically without being cutthroat. If tech is your game, I'm afraid Fox is as far behind as most of the major studios. Not much understanding of technology.

All of your employees should be in close physical proximity! The design and content teams were a good 10-15 minute walk away from the tech teams. Everyone should feel like they are part of the SAME team and should know who they need to report to or even which DEPARTMENT they work for.

Big Corporation. Departments vary. Not "home" to anyone.

Former Employee - Writers' Assistant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Writers' Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Twentieth Century Fox full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fox is a big company so it provides the stability of not going away tomorrow. Company is becoming very environmentally conscious. Company values are improving. Work-life balance is heavily sided toward work (not just at Fox, but in all arenas of its industry).

Cons

Overall it's the entertainment industry so productions come and go as will jobs. While the company appears stable, positions and mobility can be stagnant. Promotions are few and far between, compensation is mediocre. While some are making a lot of money and most are not, no one truly seems happy working at Fox.

Focus on encouraging young talent and providing mentorship so all benefit versus the seemingly defensive, desperate, and transparent worry over your own job. "A rising tide lifts all boats", so worry less about bailing yourself out and focus more on improving things for all (which would not coincidentally reflect well and benefit management as well as its people).

Heading downhill

Former Employee - 3D Artist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - 3D Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Twentieth Century Fox part-time for more than a year

Pros

Used to be the Wild West of broadcasting very creative and striving but over the years the prospects have gotten bleaker.

Cons

Now becoming cheaper and less creative-- money is king and the results show.

Get rid of all the yes men and put some really creative and forward thinking pros in charge instead of former PA's that have risen to power.

Great Studio

I have been working at Twentieth Century Fox full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great corporate culture! Very entrepreneurial. Lots of perks. Fox's divisions both networks and film have a lot of opportunities. I started with Fox Networks Group and moved into a different function in less than two years.

Cons

Salary can be a little less than industry, but total compensation makes up for salary.

great place to work with plenty of opportunities for growth.

Current Employee - Coordinator  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Twentieth Century Fox full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent work-life balance. Lots of opportunities to give back to the community. Wide range of development programs available. Free movies on the weekends. Food truck Fridays.

Cons

Difficult to persuade higher-ups to try edgier ideas. Very, very corporate.

Be open to all ideas and resist the urge to shoot ideas down right away. Take some time to mull it over and maybe come up with a compromise that both parties can be comfortable with.

Worked for Twentieth Century Fox? Contribute to the Community!