Twia

Updated July 23, 2014
Updated July 23, 2014
2.4

John Polak

Great work but not much opportunity for advancement.

Current Employee - Underwriter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Twia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced, high production environment; some good teammates to work with; great couple of supervisors who are working toward culture changes to improve work processes and morale. Insurance courses paid for as developmental opportunities.

Cons

Short sighted leadership that didn't plan for growth at the the department head level. Not many opportunities for growth nor advancement in the company. Education courses almost lean toward pushing employees out to find better jobs in other companies. Some employees can't keep up with high production environment and have become liabilities instead of assets.

Dysfunctional IT

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Twia as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people. Good hours

Cons

Typical government organization. Too much overhead and no one takes responsibility.

Learn how to run an IT department.

Bad vibe, bad morale, dummy up with headphones on and accept it or make an exit plan

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Twia as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Not that there's bad people, as friendly as it can be for such an oppressive atmosphere and feeling of impending doom. I got there right after the scandals that followed the hurricanes and fraud? by head of claims (best can recall). The GM was ousted and Mr Polak came in and in the few months before I left, had a feeling he is a sincere guy in a difficult situation trying to make the best of it. The accountants were trying to sort out the mess while the morale was awful. Only reason I stayed a year was because the economy was in the pits and decent jobs hard to come by and my previous horse got shot out from under me. At least as long as TWIA was not abolished by the Legislature, and I kept doing my job and kept my head down, there was no worry about my job being cut. I took the time at night after work to learn new skills, and with the few picked up at TWIA, I got the heck out of there.

Cons

Doom and gloom, oppressive atmosphere, no career advancement.

Honestly don't know what could be done under circumstances. Everything regulated by the state and just about every politician wants to shut the doors and get out of the windstorm casualty insurance business but no other way because private insurance wants out or sky high premiums. That leaves state of TX to pick up most of it, OR leave coastal towns and properties on their own next time they get a hurricane. So because they are under the eye of state Dept of Insurance and no one wants you to exist, there shall not be any merriment on the taxpayer's dollars, even if for birthday cake.

Not employee friendly, and a history of very bad I.T. management decisions.

Current Employee - I T Worker
    Current Employee - I T Worker

I have been working at Twia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The medical insurance is great and there is a type of retirement plan if you can stay here more than 5 years.
    If you are in a technical position, you do not need to know much or work very hard to blend in.

Cons

Business wastes numerous six-figures per year on I.T. expenditures that are not needed, or are overpriced. I.T. vendors are not pushed on price or performance.
    There is no usable disaster recovery plan and current insurance applications cannot scale to meet the needs of a large event.
    No raises ever, and no way to get promoted.

Tell the new employees you hire that there are no raises or promotions before they are offered a position.
    Listen to the employees you have, and quit being surprised when they leave due to poor treatment

A once good company now bad with bad morale and bad management

Current Employee - Did Not Disclose for Fear of Retribution in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Did Not Disclose for Fear of Retribution in Austin, TX

I have been working at Twia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The company offers steady employment and a decent work environment but that is about it. Most of the fellow workers are good to get along with.

Cons

Management is horrible. From the GM, to the senior executive team to the line managers, everyone is fighting against everyone. Either they are very contentious and abusive or they lack the backbone to stand up for their department. They talk about how great a job everyone is doing but eliminate any benefits such as bonuses and fail to give ANY pay raise for the year. Due to the poor management and failure to take care of their employees, people are starting to leave the company with many more looking to leave as well.

Move to another company. You have lost the confidence of your people to both manage effectively and fairly, you refuse to listen to ideas and suggestions from your experienced non-management staff, thinking you know everything and no one else knows anything. You refuse to support your people and eliminate any of the perks that help to make for a happy work environment,

TWIA

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Twia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good management in my department

Cons

Stale Hierarchy and no opportunity to advance

Open jobs to employees

Great IT projects and people to work with.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Twia

Pros

stable, not impacted by overall economic.

Cons

low pay and few vacation days.

Stable employment, but company morale is horrible.

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Twia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The insurance package is phenomenal!! Business hours are very consistent, and over time is offered fairly frequently, but never pressured on the employees.

Cons

The employee morale is horrible. We are not allowed to celebrate birthdays or bring goodies in to the office. There are never rewards for performance, and appreciation for going the extra mile is never verbally appreciated. Advancement within the company doesn't seem to happen, even when there are openings. The management seems to want to hire from outside the company regardless of how qualified a current employee is OR how much profitability an employee has contributed.

Reward your current employees when they go above & beyond...

Just OK

I worked at Twia

Pros

Good Salary, changes in management, friendly employees and co-workers, good coffee, not the place you would want to go for growth.

Cons

Not many growth opportunities, outdated software and systems, changes in management, frequent audits, negative stigma that goes with working at "TWIA"

Update the technology! Less large IT projects, more outsourcing.