Twia

Updated Jan 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

John Polak

Great work but not much opportunity for advancement.

Underwriter (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsFast paced, high production environment; some good teammates to work with; great couple of supervisors who are working toward culture changes to improve work processes and morale. Insurance courses paid for as developmental opportunities.

ConsShort sighted leadership that didn't plan for growth at the the department head level. Not many opportunities for growth nor advancement in the company. Education courses almost lean toward pushing employees out to find better jobs in other companies. Some employees can't keep up with high production environment and have become liabilities instead of assets.

Bad vibe, bad morale, dummy up with headphones on and accept it or make an exit plan

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsNot that there's bad people, as friendly as it can be for such an oppressive atmosphere and feeling of impending doom. I got there right after the scandals that followed the hurricanes and fraud? by head of claims (best can recall). The GM was ousted and Mr Polak came in and in the few months before I left, had a feeling he is a sincere guy in a difficult situation trying to make the best of it. The accountants were trying to sort out the mess while the morale was awful. Only reason I stayed a year was because the economy was in the pits and decent jobs hard to come by and my previous horse got shot out from under me. At least as long as TWIA was not abolished by the Legislature, and I kept doing my job and kept my head down, there was no worry about my job being cut. I took the time at night after work to learn new skills, and with the few picked up at TWIA, I got the heck out of there.

ConsDoom and gloom, oppressive atmosphere, no career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonestly don't know what could be done under circumstances. Everything regulated by the state and just about every politician wants to shut the doors and get out of the windstorm casualty insurance business but no other way because private insurance wants out or sky high premiums. That leaves state of TX to pick up most of it, OR leave coastal towns and properties on their own next time they get a hurricane. So because they are under the eye of state Dept of Insurance and no one wants you to exist, there shall not be any merriment on the taxpayer's dollars, even if for birthday cake.

Not employee friendly, and a history of very bad I.T. management decisions.

I T Worker (Current Employee)

ProsThe medical insurance is great and there is a type of retirement plan if you can stay here more than 5 years.
    If you are in a technical position, you do not need to know much or work very hard to blend in.

ConsBusiness wastes numerous six-figures per year on I.T. expenditures that are not needed, or are overpriced. I.T. vendors are not pushed on price or performance.
    There is no usable disaster recovery plan and current insurance applications cannot scale to meet the needs of a large event.
    No raises ever, and no way to get promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementTell the new employees you hire that there are no raises or promotions before they are offered a position.
    Listen to the employees you have, and quit being surprised when they leave due to poor treatment

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A once good company now bad with bad morale and bad management

Did Not Disclose for Fear of Retribution (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsThe company offers steady employment and a decent work environment but that is about it. Most of the fellow workers are good to get along with.

ConsManagement is horrible. From the GM, to the senior executive team to the line managers, everyone is fighting against everyone. Either they are very contentious and abusive or they lack the backbone to stand up for their department. They talk about how great a job everyone is doing but eliminate any benefits such as bonuses and fail to give ANY pay raise for the year. Due to the poor management and failure to take care of their employees, people are starting to leave the company with many more looking to leave as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove to another company. You have lost the confidence of your people to both manage effectively and fairly, you refuse to listen to ideas and suggestions from your experienced non-management staff, thinking you know everything and no one else knows anything. You refuse to support your people and eliminate any of the perks that help to make for a happy work environment,

TWIA

IT Analyst (Current Employee)
    Austin, TX

ProsGood management in my department

ConsStale Hierarchy and no opportunity to advance

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen jobs to employees

Great IT projects and people to work with.

Austin, TX

Prosstable, not impacted by overall economic.

Conslow pay and few vacation days.

Stable employment, but company morale is horrible.

Underwriter (Current Employee)

ProsThe insurance package is phenomenal!! Business hours are very consistent, and over time is offered fairly frequently, but never pressured on the employees.

ConsThe employee morale is horrible. We are not allowed to celebrate birthdays or bring goodies in to the office. There are never rewards for performance, and appreciation for going the extra mile is never verbally appreciated. Advancement within the company doesn't seem to happen, even when there are openings. The management seems to want to hire from outside the company regardless of how qualified a current employee is OR how much profitability an employee has contributed.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward your current employees when they go above & beyond...

Just OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood Salary, changes in management, friendly employees and co-workers, good coffee, not the place you would want to go for growth.

ConsNot many growth opportunities, outdated software and systems, changes in management, frequent audits, negative stigma that goes with working at "TWIA"

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the technology! Less large IT projects, more outsourcing.

Worked for Twia? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Twia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Twia CEO John Polak. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by Twia employees.